Oracle mouth mask?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Oracle mouth mask?

Post by 7200 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:45 am

Think of getting Oracle mask because of chronic stuffy nose and runny nose all day after using cpap. Is this a good idea. Have read mouth masks are less effective treating apnea.

Julie

Re: Oracle mouth mask?

Post by Julie » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:41 am

1) The Oracle is a very old mask... be surprised if it's even available

2) Have you tried dealing with the problem itself, e.g. turning down or off the humidifier which is very likely causing congestion etc. in an already more humid climate than otherwise? Humidity is optional, and the amount used is up to you.

bdz

Post by bdz » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:58 am

The Oracle is very much alive.

It is the mask that some, who do not like having anything on their face, turn to. JDS74 has posted full instructions in regard to using this mask. For some it is most difficult, but I found it very easy to adjust to. You do need lots of humidity, at least I do. I purchased the Fischer Paykel HC150 external humidifier which I added to my machine, to give me double humidity. I even made liners to go between my mouth and the outer part of the mask. (a rectangle with an + cut right where the mask connection would go.)

Additional Comments: Luckily the Oracle is not flimsy. Bought several. Thanks to JDS74, I have lots of inner flaps.
Peace begins with each of us as individuals

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:38 am

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:03 am

7200 wrote:Think of getting Oracle mask because of chronic stuffy nose and runny nose all day after using cpap. Is this a good idea. Have read mouth masks are less effective treating apnea.
I've been using my Oracle mask for almost 8 years now. It solved my issues with CPAP masks.
It is not for everyone but it does work.

If you want to try one, PM me and we'll chat about how to make it work for you.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

Post by 7200 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:16 am

Thanks for the info. Oracle is still available. My cpap gave me non allergic rhinitis. 24 hour extreme runny nose that doesn’t resolve with most otc drugs, sprays etc. It’s really fun to wake up drounding in a snot filled mask. Plus my nose and upper lip are totally wrecked from blowing my nose all day. Since I can’t breath thru my nose anymore I guess I need to become a mouth breather.

bdz

Post by bdz » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:15 am

I have similar issues...so glad the Oracle is still out there. All those new fancy new masks are great...for those who can use them. There are times I can't. My sinuses cannot stand the feel of air going through them. Luckily, I discovered one nasal mask that I can use. Somehow, the flow of air is defused so I don't feel it. But, my Oracle sits handy next to my bed, for those nights my sinuses rebel and says "NO!"

Additional Comments: Luckily the Oracle is not flimsy. Bought several. Thanks to JDS74, I have lots of inner flaps.
Peace begins with each of us as individuals

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:23 am

7200 wrote:Thanks for the info. Oracle is still available. My cpap gave me non allergic rhinitis. 24 hour extreme runny nose that doesn’t resolve with most otc drugs, sprays etc. It’s really fun to wake up drounding in a snot filled mask. Plus my nose and upper lip are totally wrecked from blowing my nose all day. Since I can’t breath thru my nose anymore I guess I need to become a mouth breather.
If you want to buy this extreme mask, go ahead and order one. But in the meantime, fill out your equipment profile ( https://www.cpaptalk.com/ucp.php?i=prof ... pment_info ) and let's start a conversation about your CPAP therapy.

You are a newbie to the forum. Most newbies who come here do not have an optimized CPAP therapy. Lots of things can be wrong - pressure settings, pressure relief settings, humidifier settings, mask fit, mask adjustment, mask type, mask leak, hose management and more.

It would be a shame if you went to an oral interface (The nuclear option. :) ) when there were simple changes that could be made to your current therapy that could solve the problem. There are people here with a wide range of CPAP problem-solving experience. It's free of charge! :D Take advantage of it.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:36 pm

It wasn't the machine that gave you the trouble, but the humidifier.