Economical Ways of Cleaning CPAP Masks

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Hopeful50

Re: Economical Ways of Cleaning CPAP Masks

Post by Hopeful50 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:55 pm

Small spray bottle with diluted baby shampoo - a quick spritz, rinse, and done.

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:01 pm

As you can see there are as many ways as there are members. Cleaning is important, but don't overthink it, and don't go spend money on the so-called cleaning systems. just use common sense and do what you're comfortable with.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

freetimecreations

Post by freetimecreations » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:14 pm

Hopeful50 wrote:Small spray bottle with diluted. . ..
Thanks, that is what I need to use and do to my Dawn.

Shnorky

Post by Shnorky » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:32 am

Being a "drooler" I first scrub mask under running water and let water flow over it for 5-10min every morning. Once per week I'll soak everything (also hose, headstrap, etc) in warm soapy water, then rinse. Got a "savon de marseille" just for this which is almost as new as it was 1 year ago when I started using it.

Saintnick

Post by Saintnick » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:06 am

I'm here for my wife who uses the Dreamstation with humidifier. She's been using it for 3 months now and does do some cleaning, but I'm worried about whether it's often and through enough.

Reading this thread was good and I'm fairly confident about the regular/daily cleaning she does, but I'd like to know how to do a thorough cleaning once in a while.

Regarding boiling, which parts can be boiled? All parts (except the station itself)? The humidifier bucket and tube and mask also?
And, if so, which additives if any could I add to improve the cleaning? A few of spoons of bleach for instance (obviously with much rinsing afterwards)?

One other idea I had, was to use the tablets with which our professional coffee+milk machine at work is cleaned daily according to a strict manufacturer's procedure. Obviously those tablets must be efficient and safe.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:54 am

Saintnick wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:06 am
I'm here for my wife who uses the Dreamstation with humidifier. She's been using it for 3 months now and does do some cleaning, but I'm worried about whether it's often and through enough.

Reading this thread was good and I'm fairly confident about the regular/daily cleaning she does, but I'd like to know how to do a thorough cleaning once in a while.

Regarding boiling, which parts can be boiled? All parts (except the station itself)? The humidifier bucket and tube and mask also?
And, if so, which additives if any could I add to improve the cleaning? A few of spoons of bleach for instance (obviously with much rinsing afterwards)?

One other idea I had, was to use the tablets with which our professional coffee+milk machine at work is cleaned daily according to a strict manufacturer's procedure. Obviously those tablets must be efficient and safe.
Your wife is doing just fine.

Follow the instructions on the equipment, use a mild dish detergent like dawn.

Every one of your suggestions was poor and could wreck her equipment.
  • Don't boil it,
  • Don't bleach it,
  • Don't stick industrial cleaning solvents into it.
Your wife doesn't wreck your stuff does she?

CelesteMcC

Post by CelesteMcC » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:15 am

Last time I got a new mask the DME guy told me that Dawn was too harsh for silicones used in masks like the Dreamwear line and Resmed Airfit N30 line, and can shorten their usable life. He said baby shampoo or a milder dish soap is best, so I've been using Method dish soap to cleanse every other day (I use the Airfit). Just a squirt in the sink with hot-but-not-scalding tap water, soak for a few minutes, done. I just soak my humidifier tank in water with vinegar every week or so (but we have soft water, not much mineral buildup).

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:04 am

CelesteMcC wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:15 am
Last time I got a new mask the DME guy told me that Dawn was too harsh for silicones used in masks
Would you wash your mask, which will be tight on your skin and nostrils, with this chemical soup?
Cocamidopropyl Betaine*, Decyl Glucoside, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate*, Lauryl Glucoside*, PEG-80 Sorbitan Laurate, Glycerin*, Citric Acid*, Sodium Benzoate, PEG-150 Distearate, Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate*, Fragrance [Benzyl Acetate, Ionone Beta, Methyl Ionones, Peach Pure, Phenyl Ethyl Alcohol, Tropional], Polyquaternium-10, Disodium EDTA

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:05 am

Oh, wait. That's the ingredient list for Johnson's Baby Shampoo.

Let me rethink this.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:26 am

CelesteMcC wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:15 am
Last time I got a new mask the DME guy told me that Dawn was too harsh for silicones used in masks like the Dreamwear line and Resmed Airfit N30 line, and can shorten their usable life. He said baby shampoo or a milder dish soap is best, so I've been using Method dish soap to cleanse every other day (I use the Airfit). Just a squirt in the sink with hot-but-not-scalding tap water, soak for a few minutes, done. I just soak my humidifier tank in water with vinegar every week or so (but we have soft water, not much mineral buildup).
My humidifier tub and hose are 4.5 years old and have never been replaced...they are rarely washed at all. When they are washed, I use Dawn. I use distilled water and the humidifier tub looks like new. My mask gets wiped with an OTC baby wipe every night. My cushions last over a year. The mask lasts longer.

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:27 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:05 am
Oh, wait. That's the ingredient list for Johnson's Baby Shampoo.

Let me rethink this.
Oh, CG you've done it again. :lol:
JPB

CelesteMcC

Post by CelesteMcC » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:38 am

Hey, what can I say? It's what the DME guy told me. We use what works for us... I don't think he was holding stock in a detergent company! :D

What kind of ingredient is "Peach Pure"??

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:18 am

I use a cotton pad with a bit rubbing alcohol daily to get face oils off the mask about every 3-4 days I wash with warm water and Doctor Bronners peppermint soap.

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:30 am

I use Dawn every week or two. Mask and tank. I wash hose when it occurs to me.
If Dawn is good enough to wash little baby oil soaked wild ducks with, that is good enough for me.
JPB

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:38 pm

Baby wipe on the pillows--when needed. (Strips off skin oil)
Water Pic or denture cleaner for the mesh vents. (Dislodges gray gunk)
HOT water and Dawn for the headgear. (Shrinks it back to usable size)