Using CPAP With A Sinus Infection?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Kabuto

Using CPAP With A Sinus Infection?

Post by Kabuto » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:46 am

I've always found this freaking impossible thus far- to successfully use the CPAP when having a sinus infection -_-. What do you guys do in this situation?

AMESS

Re: Using CPAP With A Sinus Infection?

Post by AMESS » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:53 am

Have not had infection but do have nasty cold. Working okay. My suggestion is to be sure you clean your mask very well at this time. I use the soclean machine that cleans with ozone . I use it every night sick or not.

knothead

Post by knothead » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:10 am

Kabuto wrote:I've always found this freaking impossible thus far- to successfully use the CPAP when having a sinus infection -_-. What do you guys do in this situation?
Hi Kabuto, when I get a sinus infection I always use a Netti pot to rinse out passages. Seems to help a great deal...hope this helps.

otorhinolaryngologist

Post by otorhinolaryngologist » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:39 am

knothead wrote:Hi Kabuto, when I get a sinus infection I always use a Netti pot to rinse out passages. Seems to help a great deal.
Or use it daily to avoid sinus infections.

Islandwoman

Post by Islandwoman » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:36 am

Also add a drop of eucalyptus oil to a cotton ball outside your air intake. It works well for me in addition to the neti pot.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:21 pm

[[[Going by the title alone, I can't help but wonder how your cpap got a sinus infection. (rim shot)]]]
But on the actual topic--just keep trying--this, too will pass.
If the sinus does not respond to treatment within a few days, see your doctor.
Life is too short to endure more pain than necessary.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:37 pm

I have used mine through sinus infections and bronchitis. When I have a sinus infection and cannot stand pressure around the bridge of my nose, I revert to my Amara View mask.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

RicaLynn

Post by RicaLynn » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:38 pm

I'll second knothead's suggestion of Neti pot/sinus rinse. Any time I feel a bit congested I will do a sinus rinse, haven't had a sinus infection in quite a few years and never have struggled with using my Cpap if I do One before bed.

Cardinals45

Post by Cardinals45 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:03 pm

Another question...can CPAP cause a sinus problem? I have had a headache for a week that won't go away. Any help would be appreciated (I don't think it is mask related).

Additional Comments: 30 day mask fit - 99%; 30 day pressure - 13.4; 30 day therapy hours - 7.8

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:22 pm

Cardinals45 wrote:Another question...can CPAP cause a sinus problem? I have had a headache for a week that won't go away. Any help would be appreciated (I don't think it is mask related).
If I had a headache for a week, I would be calling the doctor's office Monday morning first thing.

There could be something minor about your CPAP therapy that is causing the headache. But, a headache for a week is too dangerous a symptom to ignore.

Do you have any other symptoms? Are you using Sleepyhead? What is your AHI and leak level? Do you have dry mouth or nostrils?

Post by 7200 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:46 pm

My cpap gave me Vaso motor rhinitis. My nose runs 24 hours a day. This condition is not an infection and doesn’t respond to meds. My nose plugs up and then runs in mask and without. I can’t wear my nose or full face masks so I’ve stopped until I get a mouth mask. When I stop using cpap it completely goes away in two days. Probably will have to get surgery or balloon inflation. But that may not work because it’s due to the air pressure. It’s ruining the quality of my life. Oh well.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:12 pm

7200 wrote:My cpap gave me Vaso motor rhinitis. My nose runs 24 hours a day. This condition is not an infection and doesn’t respond to meds. My nose plugs up and then runs in mask and without. I can’t wear my nose or full face masks so I’ve stopped until I get a mouth mask. When I stop using cpap it completely goes away in two days. Probably will have to get surgery or balloon inflation. But that may not work because it’s due to the air pressure. It’s ruining the quality of my life. Oh well.
Is it a safe assumption that you are under the care of an ENT?

It would surprise me if you are successful with an oral interface.

Mikebear

Post by Mikebear » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:37 pm

7200 wrote:My cpap gave me Vaso motor rhinitis. My nose runs 24 hours a day. This condition is not an infection and doesn’t respond to meds. My nose plugs up and then runs in mask and without. I can’t wear my nose or full face masks so I’ve stopped until I get a mouth mask. When I stop using cpap it completely goes away in two days. Probably will have to get surgery or balloon inflation. But that may not work because it’s due to the air pressure. It’s ruining the quality of my life. Oh well.
I used to get this, and I'll tell you how to fix it, guaranteed. This is NO JOKE, and it works for me.

Let me warn you though, the FIRST time you do this may be absolutely BRUTAL, and you might feel like you need the Emergency Room, but you'll live... It's still a bit brutal any time after the first you feel the need to do it, but less so as you have been through it once and are more aware of what's coming.

Go to the store and buy a Neilmed Saline Rinse kit. Also buy a small tube of "Capzasin-HP" arthritis pain relief creme.

Ok, you go into the bathroom, and first use the facilities, because doing this might make you wet your pants, I'm completely serious. Now, run some warm water from the sink tap, and follow directions to fill the Neilmed squeeze bottle properly. Ok, wet a PINKY finger with some of the warm tap water, and stick it up your nostrils in turn to make it a little damp in there, and snort it up a bit. You don't need much. All right, now open the Capzasin-HP creme tube, and smear a tiny (I stress TINY!) little bit on the side tip of EACH pinky finger. You are going to smear this tiny bit of pepper creme up the highest you can get in each side of each nostril.

Now, put the Neilmed bottle tip in one nostril, lean over the sink, and squeeze some water in the left, then the right side. Then take a snort of that water up into your sinuses. Go ahead and scream if you need to, you probably will. You will likely turn BEET RED, and start sweating as it scorches and numbs the top layer of the skin in there. Try to let it burn for a minute at least while you are dancing around thinking you'd rather die then ever do this again. Now, alternate sides and squeeze the rest of the bottled Neilmed saline water up your nostrils, and rinse them as best you can.

After you are all done basically pepper spraying yourself, you'll probably want to drink a glass of milk, as your throat will also get a little burned. By the way, if you use too much of the creme, a fast way to kill it is to snort MILK up your nose.

The very first time I did this 5 years ago (I was VERY desperate at the time, as I was non-stop nose running for 4 days at that point) I used too much pepper creme and completely cured myself for over two weeks solid! I've done it when needed ever since, and it's not nearly as bad as the very first time, but still works well.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:24 pm

Oh, gawd.

At least you could recommend a commercial preparation. I've tried it before - it's good for opening up the nasal passages in the morning. I have my doubts about a cure for 7200's condition. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sinus-Buster ... x/22569746

DAYMX5

Post by DAYMX5 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:31 pm

I set a jar of Vicks on its side next to my air intake. I also make sure that I wash my mask each day.