Dog & cat proof CPAP cabinet

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Emmet

Dog & cat proof CPAP cabinet

Post by Emmet » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:07 am

Our cat stampedes through the house, ricocheting off of furniture, sometimes with a rottweiler in hot pursuit (and he knows how to open doors). Having read of someone's dog getting wrapped up in the hose, dragging it off a table, and destroying their machine, I thought that I'd put together a dog & cat proof CPAP cabinet. The shelf slides out to service the humidifier. Cost less than $60.

Dog & cat-proof CPAP cabinet

USMCVet

Re: Dog & cat proof CPAP cabinet

Post by USMCVet » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:15 am

Emmet wrote:Our cat stampedes through the house, ricocheting off of furniture, sometimes with a rottweiler in hot pursuit (and he knows how to open doors). Having read of someone's dog getting wrapped up in the hose, dragging it off a table, and destroying their machine, I thought that I'd put together a dog & cat proof CPAP cabinet. The shelf slides out to service the humidifier. Cost less than $60.

Dog & cat-proof CPAP cabinet
I like to DIY myself. I would not want to take away from that either. Of money is an issue I would suggest just take of hose and mask.
During day I keep my dogs out of room so I haven't had an issue.
All that said I like projects and wood working so if you need any suggestions let me know.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:35 am

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:23 am

The Amazon product is nice but pricey and won't fit in my slot between my bed and the wall. It's too wide.

To Emmet....how wide is your little cabinet?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

RicaLynn

Post by RicaLynn » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:05 pm

I've seen several folks DIY it by cutting out the back of a (used) nightstand drawer and cabinet. Machine goes in the drawer when not in use, drawer is opened and hose comes out at night. Also helps keep the machine below the level of the bed, reducing the possibility of rainout.

I have had my machine almost 4 years. In that time I've had two rambunctious kittens join my household of one adult, one tween and one senior cat. They've torn around my room plenty of times, but never budged my cpap on top of my nightstand. I bought a hose cover within 3 months of getting my PAP because the senior cat thought my heated house wss a snake and had to be destroyed. Haven't had any issues since.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:28 pm

I've kept my machine in a drawer for years. I have a small hole in the back for the power cord. At night I open the drawer, pull out the mask and hose, close the drawer just leaving room for the hose. In the AM, return the mask and hose to the drawer and close it.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:33 pm

LSAT wrote:I've kept my machine in a drawer for years. I have a small hole in the back for the power cord. At night I open the drawer, pull out the mask and hose, close the drawer just leaving room for the hose. In the AM, return the mask and hose to the drawer and close it.
It would be nice to have a drawer made out of Cedar, nice fresh smelling. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

USMCVet

Post by USMCVet » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:35 pm

Goofproof wrote:
LSAT wrote:I've kept my machine in a drawer for years. I have a small hole in the back for the power cord. At night I open the drawer, pull out the mask and hose, close the drawer just leaving room for the hose. In the AM, return the mask and hose to the drawer and close it.
It would be nice to have a drawer made out of Cedar, nice fresh smelling. Jim
Not that tough.... Buy cedar and cut to size to line current drawer.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:25 pm

Could just buy a bag of cedar chips, put them in a vented can in the drawer. Jim

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

USMCVet

Post by USMCVet » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:50 pm

Goofproof wrote:Could just buy a bag of cedar chips, put them in a vented can in the drawer. Jim
Yes but not made out of it like you said.

Emmet

Post by Emmet » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:04 am

Pugsy wrote:The Amazon product is nice but pricey and won't fit in my slot between my bed and the wall. It's too wide.

19"
cabinet

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:18 am

Emmet wrote:
Pugsy wrote:The Amazon product is nice but pricey and won't fit in my slot between my bed and the wall. It's too wide.

19"
cabinet
Thanks,
That's a cute little cabinet. Too wide though. Darn. My current table is 14 inches wide and barely fits in the spot between the bed and the wall.
There's probably a cabinet somewhere small enough but then it would hamper changing of the sheets...my little table gets in the way as it is.
My little table...$5 flea market table that is a cute as it can be and there's a shelf near the bottom that the distilled water sits on.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:19 am

My machine sits on a custom shelf, made by the bullfrog,
and mounted to the wall next to my side of the lily pad.
When the dog lived, the door stayed shut--no admittance.
The cat has no interest in the hose.

CarCulmer

Post by CarCulmer » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:32 pm

Well here's my cat "problem" - cat likes to get up around 5:30 - 6:00 AM to eat her canned food and of course I have to get up to give that to her. So.......one of her ways to get me up is to pull and/or chew on my headgear (she loves the Swift FX especially) and my heated air hose. Punched holes in the hose before I became aware of what she was doing. One solution to that was putting the hose in a hose cozy which covers most of it. Can't keep the cats out of the bedroom because they then claw the carpet in front of the door and protest loudly to get in. They are thoroughly spoiled/trained :)

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:48 pm

CarCulmer wrote: Can't keep the cats out of the bedroom because they then claw the carpet in front of the door and protest loudly to get in. They are thoroughly spoiled/trained :)
You mean the Cats are Spoiled, and they have Trained You. Jim