Measuring for face mask... **UPDATED**

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
salinas212

Measuring for face mask... **UPDATED**

Post by salinas212 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:38 am

After experiencing a little soreness/redness on the bridge of my nose after the first night (Thursday) then worse on Friday and VERY sore last night I knew something was wrong and getting progressively worse. Having only minimal usage of the F20 FFM for 3 hours during my night at the VA sleep clinic back on Dec. 30 I've determined the medium mask is too small. Never realized I was so 'horse-faced' as it relates to mask size until stumbling upon a printable F20 template gauge at cpap.com which took 3 attempts using a vernier caliper to scale correctly for printing & cutting so it was accurately usable for fitting to my face while in front of a mirror. Sheesh, no wonder my nose is so sore! I'm using a woefully short mask for me in a 'medium' size. While I've never been a large anything, I'm definitely a large mask! I called 2 different departments at the VA last night (Saturday) and left messages trying to find out how I go about correcting the situation. Hopefully I'll get lucky and someone will call me back tomorrow or Tuesday. If not I'll run over there, see if I can corner someone on Tuesday/Wednesday. Only a 7 minute drive non rush hour.

Other than that everything's progressing fine. Haven't even looked at my numbers as I promised myself I would give everything a week before getting all OCD on this journey. For now I'm happy just keeping my on-screen icons green & smiley! Heck, I haven't even added water to the AirSense 10 Autoset yet but plan to on Wednesday after my ClimateLineAir Oxy hose gets here.

**UPDATED** VA sleep lab called me at 8:05am this morning (Monday) and said I'd have a new Large F20 FFM delivered in a "few days." He also mentioned that he wished he'd known my need for the ClimateLineAir Oxy Tube I ordered online as he has them in-house and while they're rare from VA comparatively speaking he could've easily supplied me with that at no charge instead of the non-heated/non-oxy slimline hose that came with the new AirSense 10 last Thursday. What also pleases me is now having a sleep lab contact/name, number and invitation to call anytime in the future when/if there may be additional problems/issues. Easy to see why I LOVE these guys!

Last edited by salinas212 on Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:56 am, edited 6 times in total.
If you're gonna be a dog, why intentionally choose Chihuahua!?!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Measuring for face mask

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:07 pm

It is often necessary to ride these rascals until they realize you will not take their crap.
The VA in some areas is especially needful of whips and spurs until they behave.

grybeard77

Post by grybeard77 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:22 pm

My grand son went to the VA here in Ca. and had a home sleep test, took the test back to the VA, 2 months later a CPAP machine and mask showed up on his door step. This was 6 months ago. Still hasn't heard from any one at the VA. I helped him set up, gave him a P10 that fit and he is a happy CPAP er. Doesn't have a data machine, just a basic brick. I'm working on him getting a full data one very soon.
No more snoring, feels great, no longer sleepy day time, able to focus at work, so far so good....

c

salinas212

Post by salinas212 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:55 pm

I'm pretty lucky as that relates to care at the Denver VA. Last report I read 2 years ago ranked the Denver VAMC 3rd in the nation for patient satisfaction. I've read the horror stories other locations report and I'm mortified. But these guys have been great to me and for a LOT of years... since 1969. Granted they are still a government installation but I've had far worse care from several popular HMO's during my career. I seldom have to ask for anything more than once and other than some surgical mesh that failed after 47 years, nothing very life-threatening. And to do better price-wise any/every insurance company in the world would have to pay me and no one's lining up for that! Whether their fault or not there's never an out-of-pocket cost to me and they never point any fingers of accusation or say they're not at fault. They always ask how I want/need to go about my care and/or a cure then we just proceed to fix it and at my age, or any age really, that's an incredible blessing!

If you're gonna be a dog, why intentionally choose Chihuahua!?!