Low Testosterone & Sleep Apnea / The chicken or the Egg lol

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
metsfan302

Low Testosterone & Sleep Apnea / The chicken or the Egg lol

Post by metsfan302 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:19 pm

A Bit of an embarrassing subject but I just got tested for low T and its super low - 39 nanograms per deciliter ("Normal being 300-900+ even in senior males)

I have done a little reading on this new to me thing (Low T) - it says that low t and sleep apnea seem to go hand in hand and that once you start treating apnea that your T level will increase / should return to normal. I have been treating my apnea for 4ish years or so and well who knows if it has helped me as my level was only tested just recently a month ago.

Starting Testosterone replacement gel and going to an Endocrinologist referral from my family Dr for further testing etc....

Additional Comments: Prior - ResMed AirCurve ASV User
This is my Orig Post "The start of my venture to find proper therapy" - http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic.php?f ... &sk=t&sd=a

Wulfman...

Re: Low Testosterone & Sleep Apnea / The chicken or the Egg lol

Post by Wulfman... » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:42 pm

There have been quite a few discussions about it on the forum over the years.

search.php?keywords=testosterone

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

ShinRyoku

Post by ShinRyoku » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:18 pm

metsfan302 wrote:A Bit of an embarrassing subject but I just got tested for low T and its super low - 39 nanograms per deciliter ("Normal being 300-900+ even in senior males)
There is some disagreement about what really is the normal range for elderly men. Most in the field consider the lower limit of normal to be somewhat lower than 300.

That said, a total testosterone level of 39 ng/dL is very low for a man and should prompt an evaluation to figure out why it is low. Sleep apnea does not explain it being that low. It's good that you are going to see an endocrinologist.

Fyi - the majority of endocrinologists would prefer that you do not start testosterone therapy until after they do their evaluation since testosterone therapy can interfere with the results of their testing.

Those comments are for information purposes only and should not be taken as medical advice.
-Amin
Owner/editor: https://www.sleepapneagroup.com/
Nothing I say on the forum should be taken as medical advice.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:11 pm

What I want to know what has the most Testosterone, the Chicken or the Egg, I can eat both. I've tried AndroGel 1.62%, it makes the applied area like rotten hamburger, I limit the use.... I'd rather use Fried Chicken or Eggs. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:38 pm

T goes in low and high cycles. You may have been caught on a low cycle. Mine was found out to be osteoporosis. I'm on a course of Alendronate (fosmax) 70mg - once a week. found: http://www.issm.info/sexual-health-qa/w ... eoporosis/

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

metsfan302

Post by metsfan302 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:04 am

Being 41 years old, this low of T worries me and well my wife too .......

hopefully the endo can figure something out but judging from what the general / family dr who is really good says, he said I could be on replacement for the long haul weather its creams, shots etc ugg............

Additional Comments: Prior - ResMed AirCurve ASV User
This is my Orig Post "The start of my venture to find proper therapy" - http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic.php?f ... &sk=t&sd=a

ShinRyoku

Post by ShinRyoku » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:43 am

metsfan302 wrote:Being 41 years old, this low of T worries me and well my wife too .......
There are quite a few causes of very low T. Some are completely reversible, others require long term T replacement therapy. The endo can help you figure that out. Best wishes!
-Amin
Owner/editor: https://www.sleepapneagroup.com/
Nothing I say on the forum should be taken as medical advice.

Cowboy Casey

Post by Cowboy Casey » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:18 am

Its kind of crazzy isn't it, I am a little older than you at 49 and the VA tested my T levels (had to make them) and it was between 150 and 180 on 2 tests.. Guess what the VA said, not bad, there are people that are worse... Everything I have read said the same as you have seen, below 300 is bad for an 80 year old...
PR System One REMstar 60 Series BiPAP Auto SV Advanced
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/pr-60-series-bipap-autosv-advanced.html
Pilairo Q Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/fp-pilairo-q-nasal-pillow-cpap-mask.html

Mark55

Post by Mark55 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:33 am

Get your estrogen level checked before you go starting treatment. Just like women have testosterone,....men have an amount of estrogen. If your testosterone is being excessively converted into estrogen by the aromatase enzyme, you need to address that, and see if testosterone replacement is even needed.

My levels dropped to around 250, and this was what my problem was. It was corrected and went back to the 600 range pretty quickly.

Once you start using supplemental T, your own production will shut off. After a period of time, it will not come back. Just be certain what is causing your issue before you start a life long regimen.

Also,.....TRT can cause sleep apnea to worsen in some men.