Good Nasal Pillow Mask to Try?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lathnos46

Good Nasal Pillow Mask to Try?

Post by lathnos46 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:00 am

I've been using the ResMed N20 mask for a while now and most of the time it is fine but I had developed sores on the sides of the bridge of my nose, to the point I needed to wear bandaids on those spots some nights. Then I looked at what masks you are all wearing and looked at the quiz wherein you voted on what you use and pillow masks were the winner. So I decided to try a pillow mask. I've now tried the Brevida and have not gotten a good seal with it. As the night goes on I have to keep adjusting it so that the two straps don't slide up my longish hair. It worked best when I tucked the lower strap under my hair. I am not getting good seal on it so have now abandoned it. I have the ResMed for her P10 on order and hope it will work. Any suggestions for others? I use the ResMed for her Cpap machine and am basing my seal on the score I get on there. I've gone back to the ResMed N20 for the time being. I'm getting good seal but I'm also getting the sores coming back. Thanks!

Greybeard51

Re: Good Nasal Pillow Mask to Try?

Post by Greybeard51 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:33 pm

The sores for the full mask or anything that rests on top of the nose, are BAD. I have only used one brand of Nasal Pillow, but it works better (no good, but better) than anything else I've tried. If you find a better pillow, let us know. Mine are ResMed P10s

Cpapian

Post by Cpapian » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:50 pm

I have been using the p10 for a couple of weeks now. The seal is a little more sensitive to movement than the n20, but I just pull it a 1/4 inch away and let the pressure draw it back. The nice thing about the P10 is they give you 3 sizes, so you can play around with the different sizes to see which provides the best fit/seal. I am wondering if a hose hanger might improve the fit, because it does seem to be a little top heavy. Or maybe a mask liner from pad-a-cheek.

Overall, I am satisfied with the p10. I bought the "for her" size because I have a small head. Earlier I had trialed a p10, but it was old and the larger size, so was not able to get it to stay in place, let alone worry about the seal.

If you go back to the n20 at any time, try using a mask liner to help with the rubbing. I just took a piece of an old tshirt, maybe 4 x 4 and cut a small hole in the centre. Looked weird, but worked.

JimW159

Post by JimW159 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:14 pm

lathnos46 wrote: I have the ResMed for her P10 on order and hope it will work. Any suggestions for others? I use the ResMed for her Cpap machine and am basing my seal on the score I get on there.
My first suggestion would be to not leave it to the smiley faces on the machine's display to provide full information about the seal achieved during the night. Rather, download and use SleepyHead to look at full details about the night - I think the seal's validity is best displayed in the leak data - use it.
In terms of specific nasal pillow masks, I have come to appreciate the F&P Brevida very much. Its design provides outstanding stability and seal with a wide range of adjustment options with very simple and comfortable headgear. The pillows themselves are designed with wings that, when inflated, provide buttresses alongside the nose to keep the pillow firmly in place and well seated for an optimal seal with the nares. The pillow material is softer and more supple than many others. With the stability achieved, the material characteristics results in very comfortable use.
This video (skip ahead to 2:47 to bypass some commercials) gives a brief summary of it as well some other masks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR5x29jHtfw
This video provides a brief introduction to the mask that is quite clear. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peoueoCIaE4
One other video provides a relatively clear overview of the mask (although the narrator doesn't know how to remove the pillow - you push up on the rounded hard plastic VisiBlue connector not pull up on the wing) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8xFVuKUNTg
You will find no better prices than those at cpap.com https://www.cpap.com/productpage/fp-bre ... -pack.html

BlackRaven135

Post by BlackRaven135 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:36 pm

I have tried a number of masks, both pillow and nasal and always come back to
Swift FX Nano nasal mask. I have few events, normally from .5 to .8 and little or not leaking.
Despite the fact I sleep on my side and back leaks are almost non-existent.
Good luck in trying different ones. I found it a nightmare.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:44 pm

I've been using the P10 since it came out, now have 3 of them. The trick to keep the straps from sliding up your hair is to put a small piece of Velcro (the scratchy side) on the underside, top of each strap. The Velcro with keep your straps where you put them without damaging your hair.
The P10 is not "perfect" but then no other mask is either... its just as close as you can get right now.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

lathnos46

Post by lathnos46 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:04 pm

Thank you, everyone. I appreciate you weighing in. I've now got the ResMed P10 and am trying it. The first two nights I used the small cushion with big leakage. Last night I tried the Medium cushion but I think it's the wrong size for me. I will look at the videos you suggested now. Thank you again.

Bobby269

Post by Bobby269 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:15 pm

Padacheek.com has a cloth cover that reduces the redness for the N20 mask.It now won't let me post the link. :D

Additional Comments: Set to Apap 14.00/20. EPR 3, Climate line hose, Oscar for Mac 1.1.0. Betta.1

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:25 pm

Bobby269 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:15 pm
Padacheek.com has a cloth cover that reduces the redness for the N20 mask.It now won't let me post the link. :D
What did you do? I just did this my normal usual way...copy url and paste in the body of my text here.
I didn't use the forum editor at all.

http://www.padacheek.com/

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Bobby269

Post by Bobby269 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:05 am

I have always dragged the address into the reply. I will use your suggestion from now on. Thanks. :D

Additional Comments: Set to Apap 14.00/20. EPR 3, Climate line hose, Oscar for Mac 1.1.0. Betta.1

Beerus

Post by Beerus » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:30 am

i really want to try a nasal cushion mask with a chin strap. I can't seem to stop this FFM (Airfit F10) from leaking or sliding up my face till the bottom is in my mouth. There is a good possibility i won't be able to tolerate the nasal pillow at my 16 setting, but i want to just try it. However i can't afford to buy one just for it not to work. :(

question for everyone: I see alot of people say "I have tried countless masks...", How do people afford to do this? these damn things are expensive.

Mikebear

Post by Mikebear » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:36 am

Beerus wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:30 am
i really want to try a nasal cushion mask with a chin strap. I can't seem to stop this FFM (Airfit F10) from leaking or sliding up my face till the bottom is in my mouth. There is a good possibility i won't be able to tolerate the nasal pillow at my 16 setting, but i want to just try it. However i can't afford to buy one just for it not to work. :(

question for everyone: I see alot of people say "I have tried countless masks...", How do people afford to do this? these damn things are expensive.
My insurance covers nothing because of deductibles (unless of course I have a serious accident, then they'll cover after my $6k deductibles and such). I've had to pay for everything out of pocket for 20 years. So, how do we do it? There's no alternative, and continuing to breathe and be alive is much cheaper than the suffering with worse problems because of not doing cpap at all. I've probably gone through at least 20 different styles of masks over the years. The first batch was 20 years ago. It took 6 tries over the first two years to find what worked well enough. Then they discontinue masks, and it starts all over again...

I highly suggest you try the Airfit P10 mask. Check Ebay, as you might get lucky on an auction and get it a little cheaper.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:19 pm

I have gone through 15 or 16 masks before I finally found one that works for me. A few were purchased by my insurance, others were purchased from cpap.com, eBay, and even members of this forum. Many people here will list their excess masks for sale at very reasonable prices. A few people actually give their excess masks away free. I have given away several masks that did not work out for me. I currently have an F20 face mask with a small cushion available. The cushion was used once or twice just to see if it would fit, which it did not. The frame is an extra one we have, and the headgear is new that I found on eBay for a very reasonable price.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

lathnos46

Post by lathnos46 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:32 pm

Unfortunately I had to send the ResMed P10 for her mask back today. I had too much leakage with it. So far the mask that works the best for me is the ResMed N20. I will try pillow masks again because I think they are the least intrusive but I have not found one yet. I will go back to the N20 for the time being. I love Cpap.com because they have their free return insurance on several of their masks and that is how I have been able to try different ones. They are great.

jagzoo

Post by jagzoo » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:28 pm

Have you tried either the F&P Brevida or the Dreamwear Gel pillows? Both are very comfortable, and don’t leak ( for me anyway) turning side to side. The Brevida is easier to fit I think - just different size pillows. For the Dreamwear there are 2 sizes for the headgear ( most people use the M, which is the default, but I needed a S) and the the size of the pillow. But they both work great. If you don’t have insurance you can see if our sponsors are offering either of them with return insurance. Best to give them a call. Also Amazon carries some masks.