Help with redness below mouth

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Ray-zer

Help with redness below mouth

Post by Ray-zer » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:31 pm

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie here and have only been on a CPAP machine for 1 month. I just switched to a full face mask a week ago and now have two red patches under the corner of each side of my mouth. As gross as it sounds, I'm pretty sure it's from drooling a little bit at night. I don't drool much at all, but just enough to sit on the skin.

After the first 2 nights on the full face mask, inside of where the mask sits, was red. So I increased the humidity and that solved it. So I don't believe this redness has anything to do with that.

Does anybody have any suggestions? I've been putting lotion on it every few hours, which seems to be helping. But I assume it'll be a long time issue. Do they make anything to put below my bottom lip at night (under the mask), to minimize anything from collecting there? Or I was thinking maybe I could put some vaseline or A&D ointment there before I go to bed. But I'm not sure if that's the right thing to do.

Thanks for any help and sorry for the gross topic :-)

Ray

Pugsy

Re: Help with redness below mouth

Post by Pugsy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:42 pm

I would look at a mask liner if it were me. Protects the skin and would also absorb potential drool and keep it off the skin.
Either make your own or buy ready made.

http://www.padacheek.com/PAC_Maskliners.html

You can make your own out of an old TShirt to get an idea if it is something you want to use long term.
There's a pattern for a DIY mask liner
http://montfordhouse.com/cpap/diy-cotton-mask-liner.pdf

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Diamondminek

Post by Diamondminek » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:05 am

Agree mask liners could help whether it is pressure marks or drool related - they will absorb a bit of it.
If you use cream at night, avoid things like vasoline or anything with petroleum- there's a risk of lipid pneumonia with cpap. Some people find using as lotion to close to bed makes the seal worse, although some find it helps too!

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:33 am

Ray-zer wrote:two red patches under the corner of each side of my mouth
That occasionally happens to me when my headgear is adjusted too tightly. After I wash my face in the morning, I rub in the spots a little bit of 1% hydrocortisone cream ( https://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-Anti- ... z/20659622 ). In the late afternoon, I might reapply it. Before going to bed, your face should be washed. This will clear it up in two, maximum three, days.

If you continue to have problems, try loosening the headgear and/or mask liners.

BTW, I don't like lotions on my face at night - could cause a variety of problems.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:42 am

Diamondminek wrote:If you use cream at night, avoid things like vasoline or anything with petroleum- there's a risk of lipid pneumonia with cpap.
There is a case ( https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2219803/ ) of a woman getting lipid pneumonia from mineral oil. She put large amounts of mineral oil in her nostrils daily for years and sometimes more than once per day. This, of course, is not recommended.

The chance of getting lipid pneumonia from the use of face moisturizers containing petroleum jelly or mineral oil is 0.000%

freetimecreations

Post by freetimecreations » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:44 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Ray-zer wrote:two red patches under the corner of each side of my mouth
That occasionally happens to me when my headgear is adjusted too tightly. After I wash my face in the morning.
I too find washing my face every morning helps keep red marks and acne under control. Also seems to have the added benefit of reducing the time mask indentations disappear and waking me up. I use cold water or whatever temp it is, unless someone has taken a shower, then it's warm. Nice

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:02 pm

freetimecreations wrote:I too find washing my face every morning helps keep red marks and acne under control.
Yes, and I specifically meant that the face should be washed before applying hydrocortisone cream or any cream for that matter. If you apply a cream to a face that has oil or dirt on it, you increase the risk of clogged pores, acne or other skin infections.

Ray-zer

Post by Ray-zer » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:32 am

Thanks to everyone who replied. I greatly appreciate it.

Ray