Has Anyone Ever Succunbed To Apnea?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Biguugly

Has Anyone Ever Succunbed To Apnea?

Post by Biguugly » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:47 am

This may be a dumb question; but IMHO there are no dumb questions, just dumb answers. Does anyone KNOW of a persons death being attributed to sleep apnea? Not dying in their sleep, but actually suffocating on their own windpipe. Thanks for the toleration.

D.H.

Re: Has Anyone Ever Succunbed To Apnea?

Post by D.H. » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:59 am

Here's one ===> https://www.medpagetoday.com/primarycar ... orders/298

Please note that although it's rare to actually die directly of Sleep Apnea, it's probably not that unusual to die of the complications of Sleep Apnea.

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:10 am

Alot of people have undiagnosed sleep apnea because it's a fairly new science. the first cpap machines weren't in use until the '80's. i think in the future as the public and doctors pay more attention to it you'll it listed more as a COD. Remember all your older relatives that died in their sleep or died of natural causes? I'm betting alot of them were apnea or apnea related.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

Soothest Sleep

Post by Soothest Sleep » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:20 am

I wonder what would be the forensic evidence to support the idea of death as a direct result of "suffocating on their own windpipe"? Is there any such evidence?

https://www.sleepapnea.org/carrie-fishe ... eep-apnea/
This article arising from Carrie Fisher's death discusses how sleep apnea is most often a contributing factor to a person's death, rather than an immediately direct cause. Contributing factors are entered on death certificates as an important part of the Cause of Death section because the one thing can lead to the other.

Jean
O soft embalmer of the still midnight,
Shutting, with careful fingers and benign,
Our gloom-pleas'd eyes, embower'd from the light,
Enshaded in forgetfulness divine
-- John Keats

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:30 am

No, but they do Die from untreated Sleep Apnea. And De=Nile! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:17 pm

Low levels of oxygen, due to untreated OSA, can impact healing from ANYTHING.
Cpap gave me the edge while healing from bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction.
For several months, when I could only sleep on my back, I was able to sleep well and heal.

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:02 pm

Then there's football player Reggie White:

https://www.medpagetoday.com/primarycar ... orders/298

mesenteria

Post by mesenteria » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:25 pm

greatunclebill wrote:Alot of people have undiagnosed sleep apnea because it's a fairly new science. the first cpap machines weren't in use until the '80's. i think in the future as the public and doctors pay more attention to it you'll it listed more as a COD. Remember all your older relatives that died in their sleep or died of natural causes? I'm betting alot of them were apnea or apnea related.
I would agree. Apnea stresses the body, and it seems to affect the brain over time. With these things working consonantly, probably cumulatively, it wouldn't be much of a stretch to show that protracted and untreated apnea will shorten lives. People with heart failure, for example, can't get enough oxygen to their systems, but chiefly The Pump itself. If they have apnea.........................................................

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:18 pm

Biguugly wrote:This may be a dumb question; but IMHO there are no dumb questions, just dumb answers. Does anyone KNOW of a persons death being attributed to sleep apnea? Not dying in their sleep, but actually suffocating on their own windpipe. Thanks for the toleration.
What the heck does that mean?

But, I personally know someone who died in his sleep because he neglected to use his CPAP equipment that night. (Sep. 2007)

It's like asking......"Did the fall kill him/her or was it the sudden stop?"

Lack of breathing for various lengths of time puts stress on your bodily organs from the lack of oxygen and trying to breathe.
There are also a number of "sources" of sleep apnea.......it's not just "suffocating on their own windpipe".

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Biguugly

Post by Biguugly » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:49 pm

Thank you, Wuffman! The reason I emphasized the word KNOW; one of my sub contractors had one night out of town work, left his cpap at home, telling his wife"one night wont matter". Found in the motel room next day dead as a doornail. 41 years old, heavyset, nonsmoker in really good health,except for cpap to control OSA. Have always wondered, as coroners report said "natural causes". Thanks again.

mesenteria

Post by mesenteria » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:04 pm

Well....in a hotel room....... On his back? Okay, it was a lack of CPAP. :lol:

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:13 pm

Biguugly wrote:Thank you, Wuffman! The reason I emphasized the word KNOW; one of my sub contractors had one night out of town work, left his cpap at home, telling his wife"one night wont matter". Found in the motel room next day dead as a doornail. 41 years old, heavyset, nonsmoker in really good health,except for cpap to control OSA. Have always wondered, as coroners report said "natural causes". Thanks again.
Well, there was also Supreme Court Judge Antonin Scalia. That story was well reported. His CPAP machine was found nearby but not used the night he died. Unfortunately (and extremely suspiciously), they didn't do an autopsy on him.

There have been many, many more, but oftentimes, the "cause" is ruled to be a heart attack or some variation. So, Sleep Apnea doesn't get the reputation (credit) of being the killer it deserves. There have been many automobile accidents (and deaths) resulting from untreated apnea. A number of them have been discussed on this forum over the years. But, "Sleep Apnea Kills" in more ways than just to the person who has it. The sad part is that many who have it refuse to get or use the therapy. They drown themselves and others in the river of DeNile.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:17 pm

For decades, "natural causes" has been a blanket statement for "no foul play".
Heavy workload, inexperience, etc. are only a few of the reasons for this fuzzy statement.
It is not unusual to feel that the coroner was just "phoning it in".
Apnea simply does not get a tenth of the blame it deserves.

Last edited by chunkyfrog on Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Biguugly

Post by Biguugly » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:50 pm

Wulfman... wrote:
Biguugly wrote:This may be a dumb question; but IMHO there are no dumb questions, just dumb answers. Does anyone KNOW of a persons death being attributed to sleep apnea? Not dying in their sleep, but actually suffocating on their own windpipe. Thanks for the toleration.

But, I personally know someone who died in his sleep because he neglected to use his CPAP equipment that night. (Sep. 2007)

Lack of breathing for various lengths of time puts stress on your bodily organs from the lack of oxygen and trying to breathe.
There are also a number of "sources" of sleep apnea.......it's not just "suffocating on their own windpipe".
Checked with wife; she agreed with you on my lack of literary skill. Said"asphxyiated due to collapse of trachea" sounded more technical Happy now?

Den

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:18 pm

Biguugly wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:

Checked with wife; she agreed with you on my lack of literary skill. Said"asphxyiated due to collapse of trachea" sounded more technical Happy now?

Den

Well, it's more of a collapse of the soft palate in the back of the throat.......to the point where either nasal or mouth breathing are "obstructed" and impedes the airflow through the trachea. Most of the time, the person struggles or moves enough to get the air flowing again. It's the severe situations when they aren't able to......when they "expire" from lack of oxygen or organ failure (heart) occurs (including strokes).

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... c-20352090

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obstructive_sleep_apnea

https://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/g ... syndrome#1

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/178633.php

Den

User since 05/14/05