Newbie in Europe would like advice on choosing CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Jwf

Newbie in Europe would like advice on choosing CPAP

Post by Jwf » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:08 pm

I am 72 year old male
With bushy mustache
Side sleeper, both sides. I turn over frequently
Not sure if I breathe both through mouth and nose, but i believe i do
Often "stuffy" during the night from high mucus production
I go to bathroom usually one or more times a night

I have been diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea and my wife tells me she notices long periods of no breathing after which I wake up gasping. I have been reluctant to make the outlay because in Italy, there isnt the chance to return/exchange masks. Also because of what I listed above, it seems that getting it right the first time will be very difficult

Any advice from those experienced would be much appreicated.
thanks in advance

Goofproof

Re: Newbie in Europe would like advice on choosing CPAP

Post by Goofproof » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:19 pm

Masks are very individual items, you probably will need a FF mask, many here don't like them, I use both, as with any mask, if you have CAN'T trouble, you make your life harder. I'd have to mow the face hair, it betters the odds, life is worth more than looks. Once they close that lid we all look the same.

Be sure to get a APAP, it can be used as a CPAP, has full data. Over here in the U.S. Respironics and Resmed are the two most used units. Welcome it's worth the trip, when you get it right. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

tedtomato

Post by tedtomato » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:00 am

Jwf wrote: Often "stuffy" during the night from high mucus production
I think this is an indication of mouth breathing. You would need a full face mask to start with (the F&P Simplus is very often a good choice), but should try to retrain yourself to breathe through your nose, which would reduce the mucus being produced.

USMCVet

Post by USMCVet » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:12 am

As far as mask Full face mask is safest bet. That said I always woke up with stuffy nose myself. I wanted to get Amara view mask.

Try this.... If you can breathe through your nose during the day then you should be fine with nasal mask. At least I am.

I toss and turn a lot and a mask with hose connection at top of head is great for that. I run hose hose to head board over pillow and I can toss and turn all I want.

I personally use Dreamwear nasal cushions. I like that I can lay on either side and air still flows through other side.

Good luck!

ETA: when were you diagnosed? You seem to have been a member for a while here.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:47 am

See if your pharmacy has a nasal rinse with salt in it - use it before bed. Also, if you use the humidifier, make sure it's not set higher than necessary for your local climate as too much humidity will cause stuffiness. Also, look at this website ideas re mask fitting that e.g. your wife (or yourself) can possibly copy ideas from - Padacheek.com.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:14 am

Even many who report mouth-breathing find that they can use a nasal mask. The higher pressure from a a CPAP that keeps your lower airways open also might keep your sinuses open.

I would give the nasal mask a try, and use the full face mask only if you find that you are still mouth breathing.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:25 am

The good news is that the same CPAP that works in Europe will work equally well in the U.S. All current models - as far as I know - run equally well on European electricity (220 volts 50 hz) and US electricity (110 volts 60 hz). All you will need if you travel here is an adapter for the shape of the electric socket.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:30 am

Jwf wrote:I am 72 year old male
With bushy mustache
Side sleeper, both sides. I turn over frequently
Not sure if I breathe both through mouth and nose, but i believe i do
Often "stuffy" during the night from high mucus production
I go to bathroom usually one or more times a night

I have been diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea and my wife tells me she notices long periods of no breathing after which I wake up gasping. I have been reluctant to make the outlay because in Italy, there isnt the chance to return/exchange masks. Also because of what I listed above, it seems that getting it right the first time will be very difficult

Any advice from those experienced would be much appreicated.
thanks in advance
hello, jwf! that's a shame about the inability to exchange masks. obviously, this means you want to be most careful in your choice. this will be quite difficult as most, if not all, cpap users need to go through several masks until they find the one that's just right for them.

that said, i suggest you visit our hosts at cpap.com. have a browse through the masks there and read the reviews. that may take a bit of doing to sift through because you'll inevitably get those stupid one sentence reviews like "this mask sucks" or "this mask is the greatest!". but every now and then, someone will do a comprehensive review.

you might start your hunt for reviews there by looking up whatever masks are recommended here.

in any event, good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

tedtomato

Post by tedtomato » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:54 am

D.H. wrote:Even many who report mouth-breathing find that they can use a nasal mask. The higher pressure from a a CPAP that keeps your lower airways open also might keep your sinuses open.

I would give the nasal mask a try, and use the full face mask only if you find that you are still mouth breathing.
I agree, but it's also a vicious circle: if you keep breathing through your mouth (sleeping or during the day), then your nose becomes stuffier.

Also, mouth breathing has quite a few health drawbacks compared to nose breathing, such as less oxygen, loss of lung function, more infections etc.

Sticking to a FFM just keeps promoting a bad behaviour.

I started on CPAP with a FFM, as my nose was stuffy, but I have managed to re-educate myself to breath through my nose by switching to a nasal mask, which I now use each night.

freetimecreations

Post by freetimecreations » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:15 pm

Download, print and cut out the mask fitting templates. Some are wider and may cover your mustache.
You may end up with buying more than one mask before finding one that works.
My pocket book wishes I found the right mask the first time, but I have four. One is the wrong size because I did not use the Template.
At an online auction site or local classified I can get 30% of my money back.
I might sell another or keep two as backup masks[/b something that is recommended.
Now that I'm not a newbie at CPAP I can adjust and wear those other two masks that before I could not figure out how to keep from leaking.

Jwf

Post by Jwf » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:35 pm

First, and most importantly, I would like to thank most sincerely all those who have taken the time , trouble and interest to respond to my query. I will respond to each, and again thanks to all of you.

To USMCVet, you were quite observant. Yes, I have been an apnea sufferer for some time and got sleep-tested back in 2015 when I was in the US on a family visit. I investigated a bit, but gave up when I realized how hard/impossible it is to get it right the first time, and how buyer-unfriendly Italy is when compared to buying in the US. I like your suggestion about the nasal cushions (and indeed that was what I had focused on years ago) and conceptually I like the top-of-the-head connection because I also turn from side to side a lot (trying to avoid the cat who sleeps tucked into me).
Q: Is the Dreamwear an easy disconnect, because I go to the bathroom at least once per night?

Q: You state that you settled on the nasal cushions. Did you try the nasal mask that you mentioned in your sentence starting with "Try this...should be fine with nasal mask"? I imagine that you are making a distinction between the nasal mask and the nasal cushions???? (I do have concern about the leaking with nasal mask because of my mustache.)

To Julie: thank you, yes, I am using a nasal salt rinse and it is very helpful

To D.H.: Thanks for your advice on US/Europe compatability. I am back in US only a few weeks each year.I was thinking about a full-size APAP and that seems too large to conveniently travel with

To Zonker: Yes, now that I have your inputs, I will focus on user reviews on this web site. And thanks for your good wishes

To tedtomato:
Q: Did you try the nasal cushions before you settled on the nasal mask?
As I mentioned above, I am fairly convinced to go with over-the-head hose, and I am concerned about the mustache problem with a nasal mask. I don't think I can follow Goofproof's suggestion to shave off the mustache that has been with me 50+ years.

To freetimecreations: Thank you for calling my attention to the need to use the Templates. i will be sure to do so

To Goofproof: I appreciate your advice to go with the APAP rather than CPAP. I will definitly take that advice (even if I don't think I will follow your "shave your mustache" advice).

So... again, sincere thanks to all of you
Jim

tedtomato

Post by tedtomato » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:15 am

Jwf wrote: To tedtomato:
Q: Did you try the nasal cushions before you settled on the nasal mask?
As I mentioned above, I am fairly convinced to go with over-the-head hose, and I am concerned about the mustache problem with a nasal mask. I don't think I can follow Goofproof's suggestion to shave off the mustache that has been with me 50+ years.
I started with a full face mask for 12 months, and it was fine but leaking quite easily when sleeping on the side etc.

I then read that mouth breathing is not good from a medical view-point, so bought a nasal mask and nasal pillows.

See https://www.healthline.com/health/mouth-breathing

I have now managed to get used to the nasal mask and it's leaking less than a FFM, and is more comfortable. I however have to wear a chin strap to stop opening my mouth. I haven't used the FFM for 2 months now.

I have tried nasal pillows (ResMed P10) a couple of time, but haven't managed to sleep properly, due to the way the air is sent directly into the nose (the air coming in a nasal mask is diffused). I will probably try again, as it's the least intrusive, in term of contact area with the face.

Jwf

Post by Jwf » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:12 am

Hoping this reaches USMCVet

To USMCVet, you were quite observant. Yes, I have been an apnea sufferer for some time and got sleep-tested back in 2015 when I was in the US on a family visit. I investigated a bit, but gave up when I realized how hard/impossible it is to get it right the first time, and how buyer-unfriendly Italy is when compared to buying in the US. I like your suggestion about the nasal cushions (and indeed that was what I had focused on years ago) and conceptually I like the top-of-the-head connection because I also turn from side to side a lot (trying to avoid the cat who sleeps tucked into me).
Q: Is the Dreamwear an easy disconnect, because I go to the bathroom at least once per night?

Q: You state that you settled on the nasal cushions. Did you try the nasal mask that you mentioned in your sentence starting with "Try this...should be fine with nasal mask"? I imagine that you are making a distinction between the nasal mask and the nasal cushions???? (I do have concern about the leaking with nasal mask because of my mustache.)

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:59 am

Jwf wrote:Q: Is the Dreamwear an easy disconnect,

Super easy even without adding anything and even more super easy if adding a short hose or quick release hose to mask coupler.
Worry about that later if you need to.
Jwf wrote:I imagine that you are making a distinction between the nasal mask and the nasal cushions????
Let's get you on the same page as most other people. Nasal masks can be cushion or pillow with no covering of the mouth ...if the mouth is covered that makes it a full face mask.

Nasal cushions normally cover the end of the nose only but in the case of the DreamWear it doesn't cover the nose but instead covers the area under and around the nostril openings.
So these are all considered nasal cushion masks
https://www.cpap.com/cpap-masks/nasal-cpap-mask.php

Nasal pillow masks
These are all nasal pillow masks
https://www.cpap.com/cpap-masks/nasal-p ... p-mask.php
Nothing covering the end of the nose but the pillows have little cones that fit into the nostrils (but they barely go into the nostril and you shouldn't feel them on the inside at all).

If the DreamWear interest you then try it. Did you know that it can be either a cushion or nasal pillow? It has a little replacement part that is interchangeable with the same frame that you might get with the DreamWear cushion
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/pr-dre ... -pack.html

So this part for the pillows
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/pr-dre ... llows.html

and this part for the cushion
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/pr-dre ... shion.html

Will both fit on the same frame. So you can try both if you wish with the same frame.

Depending on just how bushy your mustache is...I think I would suggest starting with the nasal pillow version or get both if you can but only get the one headgear/frame.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

tedtomato

Post by tedtomato » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:55 am

He is based in Europe (as the title implies), so cpap.com is probably not the most convenient online shop.

In addition, they do ask for a written prescription, even when ordering masks or mask replacement, which wouldn't be the case in Europe.

Resmed even sells machines in Europe without seeing a prescription.