Poll: Where are you from?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Where are you from?

North America
78%
South America
2%
Europe
7%
Asia
No votes
Africa
9%
Australia
3%

Total votes: 86

lucas7bm

Re: Poll: Where are you from?

Post by lucas7bm » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:07 pm

JimW159 wrote: While you are at it and in a sharing mood, why not fill out your profile so we all can understand a bit more about your therapy modality and environment. Regarding your statement (which I have italicized above) I assume you mean value not price - after all, in a free market environment when a seller and a buyer agree on an amount of money to be transferred in order that ownership of a given object is also transferred, that is the price. Not all would agree that the amount represents the value of the object but all must agree that it was the price. In reality though, it need not be a free market for the idea to have validity.
Well, I'm almost certain about my machine and mask, but the machine (an S10 Autoset) hasn't arrived yet and the mask (probably a P10) hasn't been definitely chosen. So I'm gonna wait a few days and fill my profile.

About price x value, I believe you're right. It is quite common in Brazil to use 'price' (preço) in this context, like "Aquele mercado vende leite pelo dobro do preço" ("That market sells milk for the double of it's price") while, in reality, you're basically saying that it sells milk for the double of the common price in other markets, which would be the "real" value (valor). Thanks for the correction. I would never guess by myself that using price in this context was a bit strange for you, hahaha.
"Act as if the maxims of your action were to become through your will a universal law of nature." (KANT, Immanuel)

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:02 pm

Boy...Lots of interest in this ----- poll.... 215 views and 2 voted.

Bertha deBlues

Post by Bertha deBlues » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:11 pm

LSAT wrote:Boy...Lots of interest in this ----- poll.... 215 views and 2 voted.
Clearly, someone is messing with the poll. Bad enough that so many users said they were in Antarctica, and now they've all been erased. Maybe starting fresh will give better results.
And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make. - Paul McCartney

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:32 pm

Looks like the OP may have edited the poll..and when that gets done I think the count gets reset to 0.
Before the edit there was more votes than what I see now.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:46 pm

Please clarify. Are you asking where I was born, the place of residence at the time of diagnosis or original treatment, or my current residence? In my case they're all the same, but perhaps not so for everybody.

Chevie

Post by Chevie » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:52 pm

D.H. wrote:Please clarify. Are you asking where I was born, the place of residence at the time of diagnosis or original treatment, or my current residence? In my case they're all the same, but perhaps not so for everybody.
Yes, there are many people here like me - born in Antarctica, diagnosed in Asia, originally treated in Africa, current residence Mars. This poll is so confusing for us. Thanks D.H.

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:14 pm

Bertha deBlues wrote:lucas7bm, what you propose sounds like a very good idea. The whole world does not speak English, and you could help others. Best of luck to you.
+1

I wonder if the OP will return. If not, I'll certainly understand...
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:21 pm

As i was born in England I consider myself to be from (made in) Europe according to your poll. Because i still have an English accent many Americans ask me if I'm from Australia So I tell them I'm from England.
However I have lived in the US for 20 years now but not where I am from.

Are there not tools from google that can translate text from websites? I think google chrome has it built in.

lucas7bm

Post by lucas7bm » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:26 pm

D.H. wrote:Please clarify. Are you asking where I was born, the place of residence at the time of diagnosis or original treatment, or my current residence? In my case they're all the same, but perhaps not so for everybody.
Well, in this case, I guess every information could be equally useful.
For example, if person A was born in North America and lived some time there but now lives on Europe (and, for this example, was diagnosed there), this same person A could provide specific information about technicians and doctors in Europe, but also some information about how people in North American views sleep apnea or if they even know this exists (believe me, here in Brazil it's very hard to find someone who even knows what it is or that it's a cronic syndrome and not some random gasps in the night). I know that in my country there is almost none information about it and I would like people to discuss here if it happens where they live, where they were born or anywhere they could provide this information. I hope I made it clear, it's very late and I should probably sleep
"Act as if the maxims of your action were to become through your will a universal law of nature." (KANT, Immanuel)

lucas7bm

Post by lucas7bm » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:31 pm

Lucyhere wrote:
Bertha deBlues wrote:lucas7bm, what you propose sounds like a very good idea. The whole world does not speak English, and you could help others. Best of luck to you.
+1

I wonder if the OP will return. If not, I'll certainly understand...
Hahahaha, of course I will return. I'm from Brazil, I can deal with some trolls. We're basically a country well-trained and heavy-armed in memes.
There are some jokesters here and there on this forum, but most people are kind and helpful. <3

lucas7bm

Post by lucas7bm » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:37 pm

Uncle_Bob wrote:As i was born in England I consider myself to be from (made in) Europe according to your poll. Because i still have an English accent many Americans ask me if I'm from Australia So I tell them I'm from England.
However I have lived in the US for 20 years now but not where I am from.
As I said before, feel free to vote North America or Europe. But where were you diagnosed? And, besides that, how many people around you on both places know about sleep apnea, it's complications and treatment? Considering this is possibly a very common syndrome, I feel that people know really little about it and in some places/languages it's even harder, 'cause there is not many places (on the internet or not) you could go to get well informed.

Are there not tools from google that can translate text from websites? I think google chrome has it built in.
Well, first of all, if you don't speak english, you probably won't search in english, so there is nothing to translate. And I don't know if you who speak english feel the need to translate a lot of things with online translators such Google's or Bing's, but - as helpful as they are - they are really bad. Actually, there is even a "game" which consists about translating a sentence to a lot of different languages (in chain) and, in the end, translate it back to the original idiom. When it's translated back, the sentence is rarely understandable and commonly very funny.
And I'm not saying that Google's software developers are incompetent. As a computer science student I know how complex and big is the natural language translation problem.
And this can confuse and desestimulate people. Specially those who need it the most. So, informative content in their native language would help a lot.

ajack

Post by ajack » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:03 am

I thought there would have been a bigger percent from asia, than 0.0 English is widely spoken.

Arlene1963

Post by Arlene1963 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:45 am

The fact that you're a young, thin man who has been diagnosed is very interesting and sure overturns the usual stereotypes associated with sleep apnea. Welcome, I am so pleased that you are posting here and learning as much as you can about OSA.

If you discovered that there is very little info available about OSA and CPAP in Portuguese, then go for it I say, make a difference. In a world that is so full of negativity at the moment reading that you want to help others really makes me happy, you've put a smile on my face.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:07 pm

The profile for each member has a place for location.
We tend to assume USA, but as we know, there are many Canadians.
It is sad when people do not choose to share their location;
but that is their free choice.
Many do not fill in their equipment, either--same situation.
As we become aware that apnea is not exclusively a first world problem,
perhaps we will become more sensitive.

lucas7bm

Post by lucas7bm » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:06 pm

Arlene1963 wrote:The fact that you're a young, thin man who has been diagnosed is very interesting and sure overturns the usual stereotypes associated with sleep apnea. Welcome, I am so pleased that you are posting here and learning as much as you can about OSA.

If you discovered that there is very little info available about OSA and CPAP in Portuguese, then go for it I say, make a difference. In a world that is so full of negativity at the moment reading that you want to help others really makes me happy, you've put a smile on my face.
The fact that I am not the stereotype of someone with severe OSA makes me think even more about how people might have it (and maybe even more severe) and don't know or don't even bother to treat it. And quality of life is almost reduced to zero when you simply don't sleep. We need to guarantee that everyone who is diagnosed with it knows how it can ruin their lives, how it can kill them and we need to guarantee that they will also get info about treatment that will make it easier and more comfortable. That's a good start, I believe.