Argh my CPAP slid off the bedside table

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JeffL

Re: Argh my CPAP slid off the bedside table

Post by JeffL » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:03 pm

That happened to me last year. No damage to the machine, but water was spilled, and a lot went into my hose and out my nasal pillows waterboarding me. I'll tell you that wakes you up fast

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:13 pm

Happened to me a couple of times when staying at a relative's home. After the 2nd time, I just put the unit on the floor. On my regular side table, I have elastic go around the machine and around the table. I have two old bedside tables that I will be switching to and plan to put a wood edge around the top as well as a poly-urethane coat on the surface to prevent water damage when the humidifier bin eventually leaks. Right now, I use a shallow tray.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

Dennis de NorthWet

Post by Dennis de NorthWet » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:48 pm

I'll one up you on CPAP mishaps. My bro in law kept his machine on the floor for unknown reasons. Likely because he reportedly thrashes around a lot when asleep. Machine was probably on floor so that he would not pull the machine onto the floor. Anyhow, one night he thrashed enough that he fell out of bed and landed ON the machine, resulting in a broken rib. Machine however, received no injury. HE now has bed rails.

Personally, I've pulled my machine off the bedside table once. No damage. One thing I've gone to for much added comfort and less likelihood of effectively pulling on the hose is the addition of a fabric hose cover, specifically a <https://www.cpap.com/productpage/snuggl ... eviews-tab>

I went with the 8' cover one over the 6' version in case I wanted to use it on a longer hose. However, the unanticipated bonus of the longer cover was that when used with the standard 6' hose, it makes the hose even softer to the touch (neck) and decreased pulling traction even more, as there's lots of extra fabric that can slide over the hose and not actually pull on the hose itself. The thing just lays next to me in the bed like a fluffy snake and I'm never aware of skin contact as I was with the bare hose. Have not yanked the machine off the table since. I'm a side sleeper and the hose can just lay across my neck or over my head and the softness makes hose contact a non-event.

Seems a lot of folks buy these covers with the expectation that it will reduce rainout. The cover can't but help with that at least a little, but with my heated hose rainout has not been an issue, except for the nose piece itself, and that is a very occasional and minor amount. Another common complaint is that these covers are a pain to get the hose into. That's just a learning "curve", Actually a learning straight. Got to think like a hose. ;' > Detailed instructions upon request.

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:20 am

Machine sit on a rubber-like mat, aka vegetable bin liner. Works great. Have one in all the travel bags for backup machines to ensure it never gets forgotten. I use the original ResMed 6'6" hose. Bought an 8' hose just in case I ever need the extra length.

Last edited by Muse-Inc on Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

rickhowe

Post by rickhowe » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:19 pm

I have a cloth belt with a fully adjustable friction buckle. I have my CPAP machine BELTED to the bedside table!

bod

Post by bod » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:03 am

My wife's CPAP dropped from the table once and it got broken and had to be replaced.
It's been on the floor ever since.