Going Ape

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Violinski

Going Ape

Post by Violinski » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:53 pm

Hello all. New here and on my first week of CPAP. I can thank my girlfriend for getting me to take a sleep study - and it was alarming. Experienced 47+ event per hour. Been doing well since I started - about 7 hours per night of good sleep. I've read many on here who are struggling - maybe I'm doing so well since I've used a mouthguard for so long...?

I'm also ADHD and taking Concerta, and today all the energy hit me like crazy. I'm 49 and sat with my friend and his 6-year old daughter at a b-ball game tonight - and I freaked HER out. This surely has to be due to better sleep - and the Concerta (speed) only ramps it up. Will lay off this tomorrow. I also suffer from migraine associated vertigo (MAV - nasty stuff...Google it), and have been on Effexor for years treating it (can't lay off that...withdrawal symptoms are fast).

Just wondering if this energy rush is common - or just a lovely side-effect of ADHD. Thanks for your feedback!

Muse-Inc

Re: Going Ape

Post by Muse-Inc » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:19 am

re MAV. I have benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) with flareups every few years when dehydrated or just because; I hate it as I really can't walk with out hanging onto the walls. I used to get a migraine every other month or so UNTIL I started taking supplemental magnesium. The RDA is 400 mgs/day for men. Because magnesium is not in treated water and many are considered deficient, I started with 600 mg/day of magnesium citrate...boom, no more migraines. That was in 2000, since then I have gotten an aura maybe 3-4 times and a diet coke or a few cups of coffee aborted the migraine. Mine were so bad, I used to get someone to drive me to a doc in the box (now called urgent care) for a knockout shot. Mom used to get ocular migraines and supplemental magnesium worked for her too. Might ask doc about trying it to ensure no drug interference.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:05 am

When you get the proper sleep, yes your energy levels increase, but it seems to be affecting your other health issues. Give it time and see what happens.

Sheriff

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:37 am

My understanding is that some docs consider OSA to be a differential diagnosis that can negate the ADHD diagnosis rather than being considered a comorbidity, since OSA alone can cause (or mimic, depending on how you look at it) the symptoms of ADHD. So at the very least, your dosage needs and medical requirements may need to be reassessed by the doc that prescribed ADHD medications. I would, however, strongly discourage anyone from changing medications or dosage without doc consultation.
"OSA could masquerade as ADD, particularly when an absence of other obvious risk factors for OSA makes the condition harder to diagnose. . . . We report on a 17-year-old, slender, non-snoring male who presented to his pediatrician with a prolonged history of four complaints: inattention, fidgeting, frequent sinusitis, and somnolence. He was diagnosed with ADHD, while the somnolence, which often abated somewhat upon use of antibiotics for sinusitis, was attributed to the sinus infections. A later sleep study revealed OSA, and thorough additional testing proved that the original ADHD diagnosis was in error. All four conditions were allayed with proper use of a continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machine." -- http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10 ... 4713479664
"Because of the overlap of symptoms, patients with OSA may be considered to have ADHD. Significant improvement in symptoms has been reported with the use of continuous positive airway pressure in patients with OSA. We present reports of three adults who were being treated for ADHD and were found to have OSA." -- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11157621
Jeff Lynne could remind me of an ape in his younger days when he used to move around more during performance. I think it was the hair. And Roy Wood could easily have made a Planet of the Apes cameo without being noticed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSwDLavjiNc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md_n8Hk1lA0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVaqMCUMkN8
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:21 am

Violinski wrote:I'm also ADHD
There is a high probability that this was the result of untreated sleep apnea - http://doctorstevenpark.com/?s=adhd&submit=Search

With treatment, it may resolve. Check out lark's results upon commencing CPAP:
Things are much better; surprisingly, i don't even feel like I need the ADD meds either because I am alert in the morning when i wake up with ample sleep. In the past, a lot of times, I'd get out of bed feeling like I was hung over, sometimes with headaches etc. I have not experienced that in the last couple of weeks since I stopped the pills. I stopped the pills over a period of a week, decreasing dose and then stopping it.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=157022&p=1202922&hi ... d#p1202922

Violinski

Post by Violinski » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:58 pm

Muse-Inc wrote:I used to get a migraine every other month or so UNTIL I started taking supplemental magnesium. The RDA is 400 mgs/day for men. .
Thanks! I too have been taking mag - but need to up my daily dose.

Violinski

Post by Violinski » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:00 pm

jnk... wrote: Jeff Lynne could remind me of an ape in his younger days when he used to move around more during performance. I think it was the hair. And Roy Wood could easily have made a Planet of the Apes cameo without being noticed.
Well played!

Violinski

Post by Violinski » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:01 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
There is a high probability that this was the result of untreated sleep apnea - http://doctorstevenpark.com/?s=adhd&submit=Search

With treatment, it may resolve. Check out lark's results upon commencing CPAP:
Thank you!