C-Pap Cleaning Machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
OceanGoingGal

C-Pap Cleaning Machine

Post by OceanGoingGal » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:59 am

Hi! I have been off the forum for quite some time but I come crawling back in when I need good info. I am just now getting over the flu that lasted 5 weeks. I had a flu shot but it did not stop this. I took my c-pap on vacation and it was cleaned daily as usual. I am wondering if a daily hand cleaning of the machine is enough. I have seen the machines on television that clean c-pap systems. Has anyone here got any experience with this? I am considering buying one. I worry that my cleaning might not be enough and my c-pap may have contributed to this illness. Please help, I trust your opinions.

Laura

Ask Me About Girl Talk Cafe!

CRMW

Re: C-Pap Cleaning Machine

Post by CRMW » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:52 am

I've been on a cpap for about 12 years, I still have my original machine that I use for camping and travel now. During that time, my cpap's have been with me through annual colds & flues. In all that time, I've never cleaned a cpap. For that matter, I used to clean the masks and hoses daily, after a year or so it went to weekly and then monthly, now I don't clean the mask until I see it looking gross and I can't remember the last time i cleaned the hose.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:05 am

OceanGoingGal wrote:Hi! I have been off the forum for quite some time but I come crawling back in when I need good info. I am just now getting over the flu that lasted 5 weeks. I had a flu shot but it did not stop this. I took my c-pap on vacation and it was cleaned daily as usual. I am wondering if a daily hand cleaning of the machine is enough. I have seen the machines on television that clean c-pap systems. Has anyone here got any experience with this? I am considering buying one. I worry that my cleaning might not be enough and my c-pap may have contributed to this illness. Please help, I trust your opinions.

Laura
You didn't get the flu from your CPAP...If you are cleaning daily...IMO it's over kill.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:29 am

That machine cleans nothing but your wallet. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:48 am

Frequent illnesses may be a sign of diminished immunity,
often a symptom of a number of treatable conditions.
Please see your doctor.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:32 am

When I had the flu, I would clean the mask and hose once I got over it. I washed everything with Ivory Liquid, then soaked it for 15 minutes in a 25% vinegar solution as recommended by the RT I had at the time for sterilizing the equipment.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

ClayL
Location: Palisade, CO now, was Full time in a motor home for 12 years- Anywhere USA

Post by ClayL » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:53 am

As goofproof said the machine advertising is somewhat of a scam. It is an ozone generator and does not clean your CPAP machine .
If the ozone concentration is high enough it could disinfect but that is not the same as cleaning.
Last edited by ClayL on Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Respironics DreamStation
Pressure = 11.5 min 14.5 max
C-Flex = 1

Dreamwear FF

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:02 pm

As to the flu bug; this year's vaccine was a clean miss for the strain I had, too.
It gave me bronchitis, for which I needed to visit the ER, at the bullfrog's behest.
I will continue to get my flu vaccine--and have my pneumonia shot.
All we can do is improve our odds.
Definitely NOT falling for the late-night scare ads for the so-called "cleaner".

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:09 pm

Colds/flu....caused by viruses.
Think about it for a minute...just how can the cpap machine become infected or get viruses stuck on our cpap equipment????
Think about the normal ways that people catch a virus...think about it.

I caught a bug in October and it was pretty nasty. Had nothing to do with my cpap cleaning routine and everything to do with the restroom in the doctors office (small restroom one stall) and the fact that I waited in there for the old lady to get done and all the while she was hacking her lungs up and coughing up a storm and spreading the bug all over the bathroom.

Nuking my cpap machine/equipment wouldn't have prevented that flu...I should have stayed out of the bathroom and not exposed myself to all the crap she was spreading. Lesson learned...touched nothing but I couldn't avoid breathing the air laden with her "germs".
She was sick...she couldn't help it and likely why she was in the doctors office in the first place. I could tell she was really feeling bad.
I felt sorry for her....later when I got that sick I called her some pretty nasty names under my breath
Crap happens. It can happen with the person behind you in the grocery store line who happens to be ill and coughs and doesn't cover their mouth and you breathe what they have coughed out into the air.

Now if someone wants to spend the money and nuke their equipment in an attempt to kill the flu germs....their choice but it won't prevent someone from getting sick because they got exposed out in the general public doing normal day to day stuff.
And those viruses can't travel from the general public to our homes and our bedrooms all by themselves...they hitch a ride on us and when they do that makes us already exposed to the virus and not a damn thing nuking anything is going to do. We are either going to get sick or we won't depending on the virus and our own immune system response.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:26 pm

OceanGoingGal wrote:Hi! I have been off the forum for quite some time but I come crawling back in when I need good info. I am just now getting over the flu that lasted 5 weeks. I had a flu shot but it did not stop this. I took my c-pap on vacation and it was cleaned daily as usual. I am wondering if a daily hand cleaning of the machine is enough. I have seen the machines on television that clean c-pap systems. Has anyone here got any experience with this? I am considering buying one. I worry that my cleaning might not be enough and my c-pap may have contributed to this illness. Please help, I trust your opinions.

Laura
Don't waste your money. All they do is clean your bank account. Even if you were to use one, you'd still need to "CLEAN" your mask (with soap and water) before you use the machine (according to their own instruction manual). They generate ozone but not at the levels that would sterilize the equipment.

viewtopic/t158182/search.php?keywords=%2BSoClean++

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Cpapian

Post by Cpapian » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:53 pm

Laura
This year's flu shot is ONLY 10% effective. And this is a nasty flu this year. Five weeks is normal from what I hear.

Now that you are better, give your equipment(hose, water chamber) a nice soak in vinegar and water. Also, clean your door nobs, handles, light switches, counter tops etc. with a spray vinegar solution or a mild detol solution. Washing hands thoroughly is probably the most important flu control feature.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:19 pm

Cpapian wrote: clean your door nobs, handles, light switches, counter tops etc. with a spray vinegar solution or a mild detol solution. Washing hands thoroughly is probably the most important flu control feature.
Too late! Should have started six weeks back!

TheDuke

Post by TheDuke » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:08 pm

I am a 30 years of CPAP user and have always cleaned my equipment ( hoses and masks) with simple warm water and regular liquid dish detergents. Rather infrequently, I wipe the outer case of my machine with a wetted paper towel of the same solutions. Frankly, I think the so-called cleaning machine is just a rip-off. Instead of buying a machine for $250.00 or whatever it costs now just use a few cents worth of soap and water. If you really want to spend the money, just go to a musical performance and have a good meal somewhere.

TheDuke

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:29 pm

Another person who got the flu shot but caught the flu. My doctor said it was fairly mild because I did get the shot. I can't imagine what it would have been like if I had not had the shot. I also had the pneumonia shot and it was comforting when I couldn't stop coughing to know that I didn't have pneumonia. I do realize the shot only helps certain types of pneumonia.

Anyway, since I'm feeling better, yesterday I washed everything in warm, soapy water and was good to go. I'm comfortable that's all I need to do.
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:23 pm

The "experts" are saying that this year's vaccine is about 10% effective
in actually preventing flu--considerably less than recent years.
Better than nothing, and good to know my immunity is working.