ready to quit! HELP!!!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Bissie711

ready to quit! HELP!!!

Post by Bissie711 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:01 am

I am 2 weeks into wearing my CPAP. Please tell me it gets better!!!! I toss a lot and the mask seems like it doesn't get a good suction and then makes vibrating noises on my face. When I get up finally in the morning.....I feel like I have had someone blow into my chest and mouth for hours like my breath is taken away....its a weird sensation to feel and hard to explain other than that. Honestly, I feel more exhausted right now than ever before! I keep it on but am definitely not comfortable all night.....

This is the mask I have which I wore on the 2nd sleep study to be fitted. http://www.thecpapshop.com/fisher-payke ... h-headgear.

Then i started developing a pressure sore at top of my nose so i cut a piece of a soft cloth and put in on the bridge - that seems to help.

HOWEVER...... the past 2 days I have been in incredible pain from trying to burp an expel gas in anyway possible. Its 2am here and I should be asleep but im trying to walk or move to alleviate this gas that I feel inside. HELP!! i dont know all the lingo but my setting is 10 with a 5 ramp?

And lastly, i feel like my fingers are also bloated and somewhat stiff in the morning. Never had anything like that before and no other health issues.

Additional Comments: Using sleepyhead (in process of figuring this out) and a pressure of 5 – 10

USMCVet

Re: ready to quit! HELP!!!

Post by USMCVet » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:12 am

People will want to know what machine you use as well. They will prefer you put equipment and settings in signature as well.

I'll be honest, sounds like you should talk to your provider. It definitely sounds like you need to find a better mask that will work for you.

Personally I thought I needed a full face mask and went with the Dreamwear nose cushion mask. I had my first follow up today after a month. 1.1 average AHI, 100% compliance , no real leaks and average of around 8+ hours a night. My biggest issues is not drying out nose at moment.

In my limited experience you need to be as proactive as possible, do as much research as possible and don't let anything stop you. Things might be rough now but don't give up and they will get better.

Bissie711

Post by Bissie711 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:19 am

Thank you I just saw your posting and I have the dreamstation it looks like you have the same thing as I do and I also have the humidifier.

Additional Comments: Using sleepyhead (in process of figuring this out) and a pressure of 5 – 10

USMCVet

Post by USMCVet » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:24 am

Bissie711 wrote:Thank you I just saw your posting and I have the dreamstation it looks like you have the same thing as I do and I also have the humidifier.
Have you downloaded sleepyhead software to read you're data? Knowing that could greatly help other help you as well. Do you know exact model of Dreamstation you have? If it's capable of auto then it might help you as well.
Don't get discouraged. Once you get everything dialed in you will feel better.
Ive gone from extremely exhausted to really tired and I'm thankful for that. I know I still have a long way to go but I refuse to feel this way anymore.
Just know you're not alone and you're not the first person to experience what you're going through.

Bissie711

Post by Bissie711 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:36 am

Hmmmm I turned it over and all I see is dreamstation cpap. I called the provider yesterday afternoon and I'm going to go in tomorrow to talk to them. I can't stand it anymore. I need to be at work in 5 hours and I'm going to be exhausted. I don't see any software to download?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:15 am

Look on the bottom of your machine for a sticker that has the model number on it.
It will start with DSX and then have 3 digits...followed by 2 or 3 letters. What are the 3 digits?
This is real important....you have have been given a machine that doesn't give you much in terms of useful data. If all you see is DreamStation CPAP on your machine and you don't see the words "Pro" anywhere then I fear that is what you have.. Cheap basic machine.
No data for the software to use if you had the software. So lets figure out exactly what machine you have first.

The gas..that's common and is called aerophagia. There are some things which can be done to reduce the unwanted symptoms.
wiki/index.php/Aerophagia
First thing to try if you aren't already doing it is turn on Flex exhale relief and set it to maximum setting.
If that doesn't help you may need to bring the gas issue to the attention of your doctor. When gas is really bad sometimes people have to change types of machines. Which might not be so bad if they gave you the cheap half ass brick machine because that other type of machine I am talking about is a full data because they don't make half assed brick bilevel machines.

Go here and request the clinical manual for your machine....the manual will explain how to get to where you can turn on Flex if you it isn't available along with some other really useful information about your machine.
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p ... tup-manual

Do you normally breathe through your nose just fine during the day and night or due you have chronic nasal congestion issues that pretty much force you to mouth breathe?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Bissie711

Post by Bissie711 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:12 pm

ok im going to do my best ....LOL...newbie here...so today medical equipment person switched me to this mask...no idea what they are called bc there isn't any wording? https://www.dropbox.com/s/g3r2ri8r877gv ... 6.jpg?dl=0. This is my unit https://www.dropbox.com/s/88ccyjsj44cui ... 0.jpg?dl=0 and https://www.dropbox.com/s/88ccyjsj44cui ... 0.jpg?dl=0

When she checked the Bluetooth download she said I was waking only 1 x an hour and that I Was doing excellent. No leakage either.

She said the Flex is on and i do see that option on it. I have the manual. Yes, i am fine breathing through my nose during the day - i think it is more that i relax an my tongue slips back.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:39 pm

I can't tell what model machine from the picture. They all look alike and I can't see any words at all on the image posted.

Looks like some sort of full face mask made by ResMed...how come you are using a full face mask?
Maybe you need to look at a mask that doesn't touch the nasal bridge area.
Either one of the nasal pillow type of masks or even the full face mask from Respironics that doesn't touch the top of the nasal bridge area...it's called the Amara View.

If your nose isn't a problem you might consider trying a nasal pillow mask. Minimal contact everywhere and easier to keep sealed and won't tear up the nasal bridge area.
If you think you might be mouth breathing a bit there are some things to do to try to reduce the loss of pressure out the mouth if you find you prefer a nasal mask.

Get SleepyHead. It will tell you what model machine you have if you can't figure it out.
https://sleep.tnet.com/equipment
It will either give you some data or not.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Jas_williams

Post by Jas_williams » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:51 am

The mask is a resmed airfit f20 full face mask

nickdanger1

Post by nickdanger1 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:41 am

It took me a few weeks of use before I felt I could sleep "at all" with CPAP. It took me a few months (and trying 3 different masks) to feel comfortable and sleep through the night without waking. Now I can't imagine sleeping without it. It has become part of my bedtime ritual to rinse and refill the humidifier. I don't wake up with headaches, I don't fall asleep during the day, I no longer have depressive symptoms. I'm still not a morning person - but things are much, much better.

AcedDublB

Post by AcedDublB » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:22 am

Bissie711

This process takes weeks and months to get comfortable with depending on your “Worry Index”

In the first month or so, I couldn’t get used to the machine and mask and the leaks, every night I dreaded as I couldn’t turn my brain off and get to sleep.

You absolutely need to stick with it and promise yourself that you will not give up.

I am now 3 years in and actually look forward to putting the mask on and getting a good night’s sleep.

There are many obstacles and not much help except on an excellent forum as this and others like it.

Listen to Pugsy as she has helped me tremendously and thousands of others. I am so in awe of her knowledge and her caring help. There are many others here that can also help you but take your time, ask questions and Be Patient, it takes time for your body and mind to familiarize itself with this big change in your sleep habits.

Don’t quit, you can and must put in the time and effort to conquer this challenge.

Good luck and I will follow your progress.

SolisQuaesitor71

Post by SolisQuaesitor71 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:59 pm

Bissie711 wrote:I am 2 weeks into wearing my CPAP. Please tell me it gets better!!!! I toss a lot and the mask seems like it doesn't get a good suction and then makes vibrating noises on my face. When I get up finally in the morning.....I feel like I have had someone blow into my chest and mouth for hours like my breath is taken away....its a weird sensation to feel and hard to explain other than that. Honestly, I feel more exhausted right now than ever before! I keep it on but am definitely not comfortable all night.....

This is the mask I have which I wore on the 2nd sleep study to be fitted. http://www.thecpapshop.com/fisher-payke ... h-headgear.

Then i started developing a pressure sore at top of my nose so i cut a piece of a soft cloth and put in on the bridge - that seems to help.

HOWEVER...... the past 2 days I have been in incredible pain from trying to burp an expel gas in anyway possible. Its 2am here and I should be asleep but im trying to walk or move to alleviate this gas that I feel inside. HELP!! i dont know all the lingo but my setting is 10 with a 5 ramp?

And lastly, i feel like my fingers are also bloated and somewhat stiff in the morning. Never had anything like that before and no other health issues.
Hello. I'm just over 2 months in and i'm still having many problems, however some of yours i can relate to. I was supplied with the same mask as you initially and i do believe it may be the cheapest option available. I did have a good sleep at first but began getting an indent at the bridge of my nose. The Sleep Doc said that they'd change the mask which they did (This cured the bridge problem and introduced others). I also experienced the same problem with burping and gas which i think is referred to as 'air gulping' or similar where the pressure is such that when asleep the air from the machine finds its way into your stomach hence the windiness. The solution to this for me was to change my machine to an Auto Cpap which has a feature which means that it lowers the pressure when you breath out so and slowly ramps up the pressure when needed. This immediately improved the latter problem. If you're in the UK as i am you may find that (depending which council you're with) that the hospital doesn't supply the Auto machine, however i'm lucky as mine does.

I haven't experienced the problem with bloating of the fingers and stiffness so cannot help there unfortunately

Hope this helps.. as i said, i'm kindof a beginner myself

Bissie711

Post by Bissie711 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:45 pm

I found it! DSX200H11 If this is a basic machine how do I justify asking for a better one?

So I tried that new mask last night and didn't like it either - I felt like 1/2 way thru the night it was "passing gas" all over my face. Couldn't stop it from jumping!!

The mask is this one: https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... dgear.html

So this morning I called the Medical Supply tech and talked to her. She said my "HI" (what is that?) was only .5 last night - which she says is excellent and there wasn't much leakage. She said try it 1 more night and see if it works because it looks like a good fit on paper.

nicholasjh1

Post by nicholasjh1 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:53 pm

Bissie711 wrote:I found it! DSX200H11 If this is a basic machine how do I justify asking for a better one?

So I tried that new mask last night and didn't like it either - I felt like 1/2 way thru the night it was "passing gas" all over my face. Couldn't stop it from jumping!!

So this morning I called the Medical Supply tech and talked to her. She said my "HI" (what is that?) was only .5 last night - which she says is excellent and there wasn't much leakage. She said try it 1 more night and see if it works because it looks like a good fit on paper.
Yeah, I had a horrible time with that one. It seemed great at first, but any pressure beyond the basic and it would just face fart me. I switch to amara view with a mask cover from padacheek. although now that I think about it a cover or a liner might help that mask too. I like the view because it has the mouth piece to prevent leak out, but doesn't go over the bridge of my nose sense your nose just sits in a divot. and for me at least it's better then the hybrid masks that have nasal pillows with prongs. The prongs just always seemed so hard to adjust. anyway, each face architecture is different so what works for one might not work for the other.
Instead of Sleep apnea it should be called "Sleep deprivation, starving of oxygen, being poisoned by high CO2 levels, damaging the body and brain while it's supposed to be healing so that you constantly get worse and can never get healthy Apnea"

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:00 pm

Bissie711 wrote:I found it! DSX200H11 If this is a basic machine how do I justify asking for a better one?

Tech means your AHI was .5 last night. That is very good. However, if it's not comfortable that's a big problem. Sure, try it one more night but if it still seems to be "passing gas" once you have it on properly (not too tight or loose) try a different mask. Why were you given a FFmask to begin with? Consider trying a nasal mask. Might eliminate the problems you are having. The Airfit P10 is a minimal mask and very popular. There are several others that you might consider. No way I would have been successful, especially the first few weeks, with a FFmask.
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10