Tongue ring as a cure?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
kteague

Re: Tongue ring as a cure?

Post by kteague » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:30 pm

I see you are getting links to discussion of tongue devices that would function similarly to what you have described. Also remember discussion on here of tongue tethers and breathing tubes. The tongue may or may not be the defining factor in a person's sleep apnea. There's more tissue inside the throat than just the tongue that can be involved in blockage. While no technique that is non mechanical can be fully relied upon once asleep, I would suggest a couple things that might help manage the tongue. Practice the technique of getting a suction seal of the tongue against the roof of the mouth until it becomes natural. And let gravity work for you. Find a sleep position where if you relax the tongue falls forward instead of backward. Personally, just the thought of a tongue piercing being pulled on gives me the heebie jeebies. Just glad that's not the first line of treatment prescribed or I'd be in trouble.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:09 am

Goofproof wrote:You could tattoo a warning under the ring, "If found choking from Sleep Apnea, Pull On Ring". Jim

Might even hook a small Bell onto the ring, so it would wake you up.

On second thought, XPAP isn't that hard to use, and it works!

JimW159

Post by JimW159 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:48 pm

Given this thread's genesis, could this be a viable alternative (for a chinstrap at the very least)?