Do Full Face Masks Change Facial Skin for the Worst

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lwieland11

Do Full Face Masks Change Facial Skin for the Worst

Post by lwieland11 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:01 pm

Hi -

Have any of the long term full face mask users noticed a permanent change in their facial skin - swollen, dented, sagging areas - that you attribute to your mask?

Wulfman...

Re: Do Full Face Masks Change Facial Skin for the Worst

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:49 pm

No.
User nearly 13 years.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:32 pm

No....9 years

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:35 pm

I think she might want answers from women... and in my experience it's possible, just difficult to sort out from natural ageing effects. You really need to judge for yourself (and wear Padacheek.com liners which might help, and not overtighten the mask).

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:20 pm

No 12 years, still as ugly as when I started. Stopped looking into mirrors, replacing them was costly, and you wouldn't believe my bad luck. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:07 pm

When I did wear a full face mask, it had no effect on my skin;
but after wearing nasal pillows for several years,
I look in the mirror and wonder . . .

Extradish

Post by Extradish » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:11 pm

I wear a nasal mask, but every morning it takes a couple of hours for the marks from the mask to leave my face, and it seems that the mask has increased my wrinkles. It is hard to tell if the wrinkles were going to happen anyway at my age (61) though. If anyone has suggestions for how to get the marks to disappear sooner, I would like to hear them.

lwieland11

Post by lwieland11 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:20 am

Julie is correct. It could be natural aging. I am about to turn 60. But I've been blessed with good skin. Very few wrinkles or sagging skin. Except right where my mask goes. I haven't tried padacheek and will look into it. I fear however that, because I have to wear the mask tightly for it not to leak, that is the real culprit. Frustrating.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:45 am

Most of these videos will tell you not to pull the straps stight
https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/v ... k&fr=yfp-t

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:59 am

My theory is to switch mask styles so that if one is causing wrinkles, the next one will cause wrinkles in other places. I just switched from nasal to pillows because I felt the nasal was changing my bite. I also use padacheek products and lots of anti wrinkle cream in the morning. So far, so good. Drink lots of water and use good facial soap too.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:10 am

Dents are caused by a bit of circulation restriction due to pressure of either the straps or the mask itself on the skin.
So are bags under the eyes.
It's an edema thing related to lack of circulation needed to disperse the fluids in the skin on the face and head. Some people just tend to get dents or marks on their faces or bags under their eyes easier than other people.

Strap covers and mask liners will help "soften and diffuse" the pressure from the straps and the mask and help reduce the dents, marks, eye baggage.

I get the dents from the straps and I don't wear my masks tight at all. I just am one of the unlucky ones who gets marks/dents from the least little thing.
I have been known to wake up with a "scar" on my cheek from laying on a wrinkle in the pillow case.

Even with strap pads (I like the ones from Padacheek best) I will still sometimes get a hint of a dent across my cheek and even eye baggage if I have lain on one side for very long (side down gets a big puffy under the eye bag) but usually goes away fairly quickly. Much more quickly than if I hadn't used a strap cover.

For dents/lines caused by the mask (like with a full face mask) if I got them, I would at least try a mask liner.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

spareohs

Post by spareohs » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:59 am

This is currently driving me crazy. I'm 29 and have been using my CPAP since March. I always woke up with lines on my face and redness around where the mask was but it would dissipate... now I'm starting to realize that although not as severe as in the morning, the redness and lines persist throughout the day and are even noticeable in photos. I just bought mask liners and used one last night but it didn't seem to change anything... maybe a slight reduction in redness around my chin but that's it. It's also caused my skin to start breaking down since I typically have dry skin in the winter anyway... I know everything I read online says not to have the mask on too tightly but if it's not tight it leaks. I'm at a loss.

SallySimpson

Post by SallySimpson » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:27 am

I certainly have because I sleep on one side. I have read the collagen in your face breaks down naturally but the full mask does wreak havoc on on'es facial skin.
I have heard that using a satin pillow case may help, just like using a satin pillow case to reduce hair loss.

kiteboy

Post by kiteboy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:02 am

Hi. I have a theory that I would like to put forward. You may be allergic to silicone like me. I learned that I was allergic to silicone not from my mask but from my glasses. If I use silicone nose pads it feels like someone is pounding nails into the bridge of my nose. Relief is from using a bandage under the glasses or replacing the silicone nose pieces with hipoalergenic hard plastic nose pieces. When I did my sleep study the technician sent me home due to the silicone causing an allergic reaction to my face in less than a hour of use. I went back several weeks later to complete the study using a simple ,mask liner. The problem was most people I had to deal with had little to no knowledge or information about how to deal with such an issue. I started with fabric mask that was very hard for me to get a good seal and very uncomfortable for me. I did not like my first liner that I used in the sleep study, since it did not attach to the mask, and was difficult to put on in the dark. I researched the issue and found four different companies making cpap liners. The liner I finally bought was from Pad A Cheek. PAC has custom mask liners that fit most masks out there. I am using a Quatro Air and their cover keeps all parts of the mask from touching my face and it stays on the mask by a velcro strap. It is very well made, and with normal washing lasts 6 months for me. Best of all my face does not get red or breakout from being in close contact to the silicone. I tried making my own liners out of tee shirts and even made them that would stay attached to my mask, but after trying th PAC liners I have was blown away with their quality and attention to detail. One thing they stress, that everyone must do, is to be sure that which ever liner you use, that you do NOT cover the vent holes, that must relieve air from your mask. I hope that this may help anyone who like me has an allergy to silicone.

Josiah

Post by Josiah » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:27 am

A bit off topic, but I recall seeing a description recently on cpaptalk of a home made mask liner. I'd like to try one tonight if I could figure out how to make one.
Josiah