The elderly have thin skin

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
poppi2

Re: The elderly have thin skin

Post by poppi2 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:15 pm

Sheriff Buford wrote:.... I'm growing my beard. I'm at the winno stage. ....
Sheriff
Going undercover? We can ship some panhandlers from Clear Lake to Kingwood if that would help.

Josiah

Post by Josiah » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:12 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:Plenty of men use CPAP with a full beard. Are you not concerned that daily shaving will cause more skin problems than a CPAP mask?
That's a good point, I use and electric razor rather than a blade. Well we shall see. My girl friend has already approved the less scruffy me so that's one hurdle that's behind me.
Josiah

MrsRinPDX

Post by MrsRinPDX » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:29 pm

Diamondminek wrote:Generally for good skin In terms of the elderly and preventing pressure sores, a good diet, a very good fluid intake and a good moisturiser are important. Of you are very dry you may want something more heavy duty than the standard face creams and body lotions.
Specifically for cpap, finding the right mask will help. Or a good mask with the appropriate mask liners or strap covers. Moisturizing too close to bed may affect mask seal and as mentioned, no petroleum.
Moisturizing too much can cause acne outbreaks where your mask contacts your face, so be aware. I was using a moisturizing soap to wash my face and my chin broke out. Believe me, I am well past the age of puberty, and changing to Neutrogena solved the problem.

Additional Comments: Pressures: IPAP 18/ EPAP 14; Secondary mask - Nuance Pro Nasal Pillow

lathnos46

Post by lathnos46 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:24 pm

my mask, the Resmed N20, does occasionally cause sores on the upper part of the side of my nose, just below the eye level. I think I adjust it during the night when I am not aware I am doing so. I got some small bandaids and use neosporin on them to put on the spots where these sores occur. This has worked like magic for me. The first ones I got were the Nexguard ones in the very small size. I cannot find these in a box with just the small size so I have now switched to a small dot bandaid made by CVS. I am allergic to latex so I have to find ones that don't have latex. I have been trying different pillow masks to see if I can do better with them but so far the Resmed P10 did not work for me. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:57 pm

I'm almost as old as Josiah and have been using a Quattro FF mask for 9 years without problems. The key is to NOT tighten the mask so it makes marks or causes
irritation. The mask cushion should float on the face. The air pressure fills the mask so it gently presses on the face.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:01 pm

Josiah wrote:I will be taking my maiden voyage on the good ship CPAP tomorrow night and one thing I worry about is that as a very elderly person, my skin is thinner and more fragile than the skin of younger people. I worry that I may develop sores from mask pressure. I will be getting a full face mask but I won't know what I'll end up with until tomorrow. I'm soliciting suggestions about skin care and ways to avoid getting sores.
Several things you can do. You can have 3 differently designed masks and alternate between them. That helps me reduce the pressure sore problem. Consider also getting a Circadian mask in your arsenal. They have their problems with leakage, but are much gentler on the skin. I have Medicare pay for Dreamwear and bought the other masks myself via online retailers (Get a copy of your prescription from your doc).

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

Josiah

Post by Josiah » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:57 pm

LSAT your long term success is indeed inspiring.

I like the idea of alternating through a small collection of different masks. I don't think you need an Rx to buy a mask, nor according to Pugsy do you need an Rx to buy a CPAP machine.

Thanks again for all the encouragement from everyone.

If you want insurance to pay for a mask then a RX is needed.

And some online suppliers will require a RX for a mask....like cpap.com even though insurance isn't involved.

BUT there are ways and places to get around the RX requirement depending on where you shop and what you buy.

And I have bought all my machines without a RX..so there are ways around that little hurdle too...but insurance has never paid for any of my machines though.
Josiah

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:10 pm

Josiah wrote:LSAT your long term success is indeed inspiring.

I like the idea of alternating through a small collection of different masks. I don't think you need an Rx to buy a mask, nor according to Pugsy do you need an Rx to buy a CPAP machine.

Thanks again for all the encouragement from everyone.
The good side of NOT alternating different masks over time, is if you choose one mask and use it, the face structure (Support) will change slightly, allowing the face to conform for a better fit. (Less Leaks, Mask Staying in the same place better) Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:03 am

Goofproof wrote:The good side of NOT alternating different masks over time, is if you choose one mask and use it, the face structure (Support) will change slightly, allowing the face to conform for a better fit.
That's true. After a few years, my nasal pillows fit very well.

Redonthehead

Post by Redonthehead » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:18 am

If you were my dad, I'd insist you try a nasal pillow mask like the Airfit P10 first. Much less contact with skin than a FFM. If you can't use it then try the FFM later.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:17 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Goofproof wrote:The good side of NOT alternating different masks over time, is if you choose one mask and use it, the face structure (Support) will change slightly, allowing the face to conform for a better fit.
That's true. After a few years, my nasal pillows fit very well.

Also you can find Truffles. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:33 pm

So, granny, did they make Animal Farm into a play?
I hope it is a musical.

JTE48

Post by JTE48 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:57 am

I've been using CPAP since 2009 with a ResMed Quattro Mirage mask. Have the same problem, ie, the bridge of the nose is all red in the morning and it's getting worse-taking longer to clear up. I'll try something between the mask and skin and see how that works. My only concern is leaks but we'll try it.

I like the comments the mask should "float" on your face if you have it on/sized properly. If you don't tighten the mask it will leak when the pressure ramps up - so you have to have a certain amount of pressure on it. I think it's the nature of the beast - a CPAP mask, sooner or later, if you have been using CPAP long enough, it's going to leave marks. I liken the mask and hose to that movie "Alien" where that one stuck to that guy's face. This really is a draconian way of treating sleep apnea but is the most affective in lieu of surgery last I checked. Maybe the next generation will have a better treatment - I sure hope so.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:49 am

Thin skin can happen to anyone at any age.
Medical conditions or even some medications can affect the skin.
Karen at Pad-a-Cheek makes mask liners for most cpap masks.
A blessing for anyone not gifted with tough frog hide.