Take CPAP when traveling

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
dkhinz

Take CPAP when traveling

Post by dkhinz » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:57 am

I have had a perfect record of using my CPAP every night for the last four years. However, this coming summer, I am planning a trip to Norway for 8 to 14 days. As much as I depend on my machine, it is huge (Resmed S9 with humidifier). I am wondering about taking it. Can I get by for that period without using it or should I take the hit and drag it along and deal with all the issues.

luvsbluberries

Re: Take CPAP when traveling

Post by luvsbluberries » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:16 pm

I would take it. Just think how you felt before treatment - would you want to spoil your trip by feeling bad?

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:19 pm

Pack and bring as a 'free' carry-on (along with your reg. carry on), most airlines allow it. Never, ever send it with regular baggage! And check ahead with airline if you can use it onboard as many do.

luvsbluberries

Post by luvsbluberries » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:27 pm

What Julie said just reminded me...

Be sure to put your contact info inside of the bag, and also maybe tie a colorful something-er-other on the handle so it isn't easily mistaken for a similar-looking bag. You don't want someone walking off with your machine by accident.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:46 pm

Can you get along wihout the humidifier? Be sure to check the type of power converter/plug you may need there.

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:50 pm

Take it. I just made my first overseas trip (USA-Italy) and took BOTH of my machines with me. There is NO Way I was going without treatment. No excuses. I made it just fine, so will you. Just leave other stuff at home to make up the difference. I saw many people traveling with their machines.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:55 pm

What "hit" and "issues"? Camping? Or something else?
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

JimW159

Post by JimW159 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:43 pm

If you were diabetic would you leave your blood glucose meter or insulin/pills at home because they are just too much trouble? If you would rather take the chance that you may spend some part of your trip in a hospital bed, so be it. How good is your coverage in Norway?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:52 pm

Cardsfan wrote:Take it. I just made my first overseas trip (USA-Italy) and took BOTH of my machines with me. There is NO Way I was going without treatment. No excuses. I made it just fine, so will you. Just leave other stuff at home to make up the difference. I saw many people traveling with their machines.
Great idea. Anything else is infinitely easier to find, should you need it.
Besides, shopping for other stuff is a lot more fun.

TedVPAP

Post by TedVPAP » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:59 pm

Once I travelled without my machine - I will never make that mistake again.
It is easy to forget how much benefit it is providing when you are always using it.
If you want to know how you will respond without your machine, simply unplug it for a few days and then you will know.

Additional Comments: AutoPAP 16-20, Ultimate Chin Strap http://sleepapneasolutionsinc.com/
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment:
how to see your data https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead
how to present your data https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
how to post your data https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

Midnight Strangler

Post by Midnight Strangler » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:04 pm

dkhinz wrote:I have had a perfect record of using my CPAP every night for the last four years. However, this coming summer, I am planning a trip to Norway for 8 to 14 days. As much as I depend on my machine, it is huge (Resmed S9 with humidifier). I am wondering about taking it. Can I get by for that period without using it or should I take the hit and drag it along and deal with all the issues.
Why ask us? Try it now at home for the next 8 to 14 days. Then you will know what to do this summer.

(... if you are still alive after 8 days.)

jim22

Post by jim22 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:23 pm

I sure wouldn't travel without mine, the reflux alone would kill me. I think there may be some more compact CPAP machines optimized for travel, maybe look into something easier to carry.
Jim

Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, Swift FX nasal pillows mask

Holden4th

Post by Holden4th » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:29 am

I travel a lot, by road, by air. I stay at one place for a couple of weeks and I also do overnighters. At all times I have my machine with me. I've got a PR 760 which has a detachable humidifier. I put this in my checked luggage. The machine goes with me in my carry on. I also have a couple of heat moisture exchangers just in case the humidifier gets lost or broken.

All this means that I have to think ahead and your post means that you are doing the same so well done. You've lived with your machine for four years now and it's an integral part of your life. Yes, you'll survive a couple of weeks in Norway without your machine but how will you feel? Not good I suspect so take it with you.

I fly out to NZ next Wednesday for a months vacation and already I'm planning to have my back up machine beside the bed on Tuesday night with my main machine already packed to go.

Chevie

Post by Chevie » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:14 pm

Midnight Strangler wrote:Why ask us? Try it now at home for the next 8 to 14 days. Then you will know what to do this summer.
This is the best answer.

Mogy

Post by Mogy » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:22 pm

It really depends on you and how severe your apnea is.
I went on 2 vacations without my machine, 10 days and 6 days.
I felt fine during the vacations but when I got back I felt tired for a few days.
Personally, I wouldn't take a machine and humidifier to Europe but I am looking at getting a small CPAP with no humidifier for travel.
Using weight loss, general exercise, and tongue/throat exercises I managed to get my AHI down to approx 5.
Not using a machine currently.