dry mouth

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
carol99508

dry mouth

Post by carol99508 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:29 pm

I added a topic a while ago about feeling bad ... have used CPAP for 12 years and finally got myself one of those expensive daily cleaners. Love it!! Have never felt better and the thing really does the job.

I recently got a new Respironics unit and it has the humidifier on it. I am having a wicked bad dry mouth every night. I don't know if its the new humidifier design or the cpap cleaner hose hook up.

Is anyone else having a similar experience? I am using nose pillow as before, and unheated hose, as before.

I can't find a place to increase humidification either, but the unit runs dry every night anyway.

Suggestions?

Pugsy

Re: dry mouth

Post by Pugsy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:40 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Which model Respironics machine?
What pressures are you using?
Have you checked your leak rate?
Are you using a heated hose or regular hose?
What is the ambient humidity in your house...recently turned the furnace on by chance?? Using a wood stove or fireplace by chance?
Water chamber running empty after how many hours of use??

I assume you never had the dry mouth until recently...is that correct?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

carol99508

Post by carol99508 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:49 pm

Which model Respironics machine? 9 (I think--- its new)
What pressures are you using? 9-12 are the settings
Have you checked your leak rate? Don't know how to do that
Are you using a heated hose or regular hose? regular hose
What is the ambient humidity in your house...recently turned the furnace on by chance?? Using a wood stove or fireplace by chance? Its dry here in Alaska. Nothing new though
Water chamber running empty after how many hours of use?? Runs dry in about 6 hours.

I assume you never had the dry mouth until recently...is that correct? NEVER had dry mouth until recently... last 2 months.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:58 pm

Respironics doesn't have a model "9".
Look on the bottom or side of the blower for a model number and report the model number and we can hopefully figure out model and brand.
Or tell us all the words you see on the machine and humidifier.
Also what machine did you use before this one?

The reason the model is important is not all models give leak numbers so before I send you to get some software I wanted to make sure your machine recorded leak data.

If you are using a pressure range of 9 to 12 then I assume that is the minimum starts at 9 and can go up to 12 if needed?
Or are you using a bilevel device where you have 9 for inhale and 12 for exhale???

Leaks and pressures used can affect water consumption...so that's why I asked about those.
High pressures with high leak rate will suck up the water.

Dry mouth can also be from mouth breathing which if done a lot can increase the leak rate and thus increase the water consumption.
Have you been having any unusual issues with nasal congestion the last 2 months?

Finally what is your humidity setting on your machine?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.