Think it's time for an upgrade, need advice.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
bryanftc

Think it's time for an upgrade, need advice.

Post by bryanftc » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:15 pm

I have been treating my apnea now for just over five years. My treatment has been life changing. It's amazing how much your life changes after being able to get a good night's sleep.

Presently I'm still using the same machine I was originally provided with (system one auto) . Along with the same type of mask (Quattro ffm). Besides my machine being noisy and the occasional leak problems due to worn out cushions and such, I really have had little issues.

For some reason I can't shake this feeling that maybe I'm missing out. With all the new masks and machines that have been coming out, I feel that it could be time to upgrade. I have no insurance but have the means to possibly upgrade...

So I wonder, what do you guys/gals think me updating my gear? I was looking at the F20 ffm and either the dreamstation or airsense? Any other options I'm missing?

Bunsen

Re: Think it's time for an upgrade, need advice.

Post by Bunsen » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:13 pm

After 4.5 years of daily use, my Remstar died. Insurance wouldn't replace until 5 years, so I bought an identical lightly used machine from secondwind.com. When insurance allowed and I had met my deductible, I upgraded to an Airsense 10 for Her with a heated hose. I also opted to try the Fisher and Paykel Brevida nose pillow mask. The difference was HUGE! Machines are smaller and quieter. The new mask is lighter and more comfortable and the diffuser means no sound of air and no blowing on sleeping partner. Heated hose stops rain out even without hose cover.

There have been a lot of improvements in 5 years. If you can swing the price, I think you'll think it was money well spent. And it's good to have a backup machine just in case. I'm sleeping better than ever. Good luck!

bryanftc

Post by bryanftc » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:26 pm

Bunsen wrote:After 4.5 years of daily use, my Remstar died. Insurance wouldn't replace until 5 years, so I bought an identical lightly used machine from secondwind.com. When insurance allowed and I had met my deductible, I upgraded to an Airsense 10 for Her with a heated hose. I also opted to try the Fisher and Paykel Brevida nose pillow mask. The difference was HUGE! Machines are smaller and quieter. The new mask is lighter and more comfortable and the diffuser means no sound of air and no blowing on sleeping partner. Heated hose stops rain out even without hose cover.

There have been a lot of improvements in 5 years. If you can swing the price, I think you'll think it was money well spent. And it's good to have a backup machine just in case. I'm sleeping better than ever. Good luck!
Wow, okay!! I really wish there was a way I could try more masks before I spent the high dollar on them...

I think I will get a new machine for sure, keep the other for a backup, and camping seems I have the DC hook up for it.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:33 am

Unless you get the "return insurance", the mask search can be expensive. I spread out my need to try out a new mask. For me, it's a waste of money. I always go back to my Fitlife Total mask. I think the Fitlife tells me "you'll be back" every time I put it in the drawer to try out a new mask. If you got a mask that works, count your blessings. Lots of folks here never find a mask that works for them. Get you a new one every time you get an itch....

Sheriff

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:08 am

bryanftc wrote:I really wish there was a way I could try more masks before I spent the high dollar on them...
There is a way so you don't have to eat the big bucks the masks cost if you don't like it.

Check out the masks at cpap.com..
Some have free return insurance and some have return insurance that you buy.
Most of the newer models will have it as free.
Be sure to read up on the particulars though...there are some rules.. like 30 days to get it back to them from the time of original shipping.
They will need a copy of your RX on file though...do you have a copy? If not, they can help you get a copy...it's all explained at their website.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

bryanftc

Post by bryanftc » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:18 pm

Pugsy wrote:
bryanftc wrote:I really wish there was a way I could try more masks before I spent the high dollar on them...
There is a way so you don't have to eat the big bucks the masks cost if you don't like it.

Check out the masks at cpap.com..
Some have free return insurance and some have return insurance that you buy.
Most of the newer models will have it as free.
Be sure to read up on the particulars though...there are some rules.. like 30 days to get it back to them from the time of original shipping.
They will need a copy of your RX on file though...do you have a copy? If not, they can help you get a copy...it's all explained at their website.
I do have a copy on file, but had a few bad experiences with them in the past. I don't think I will use them any longer. I know this forum is connected somehow, you guys are great!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:09 pm

bryanftc wrote: I do have a copy on file, but had a few bad experiences with them in the past. I don't think I will use them any longer. I know this forum is connected somehow, you guys are great!
Sorry that you had some bad experiences and yes this forum is hosted by cpap.com but I mentioned them mainly because of my own personal experience with them. I haven't had any bad experiences.
There are other cpap equipment online websites that you can use and some of them do have some sort of mask return or exchange policies in place so be sure to check them out. Some only offer "store credit" vs an actual refund so that may or may not impact your decision to use that website or not. Make sure you read whatever return policy someone has in place and understand the limitations that might be part of the policy.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

JimW159

Post by JimW159 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Do you have any reason to think you can ONLY use an FFM? The single thing I have ever done with regard to xPAP use was to move from a FFM to a nasal pillow. This is, however, where 'your mileage may vary' really holds true. Just because a change in mask type may be critical for some, doesn't mean it will be for another. Having said that, I have a brand new Respironics GoLife for Men nasal pillow mask with an additional frame you can have for free if you pay for postage. The mask is complete in original packaging as is the frame. The mask includes three pillows (S, M, and L). This offer is valid only within the US or anywhere within normal coverage for USPS.
See: https://www.cpap.com/productpage/respir ... ion-2.html

bryanftc

Post by bryanftc » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:26 pm

JimW159 wrote:Do you have any reason to think you can ONLY use an FFM? The single thing I have ever done with regard to xPAP use was to move from a FFM to a nasal pillow. This is, however, where 'your mileage may vary' really holds true. Just because a change in mask type may be critical for some, doesn't mean it will be for another. Having said that, I have a brand new Respironics GoLife for Men nasal pillow mask with an additional frame you can have for free if you pay for postage. The mask is complete in original packaging as is the frame. The mask includes three pillows (S, M, and L). This offer is valid only within the US or anywhere within normal coverage for USPS.
See: https://www.cpap.com/productpage/respir ... ion-2.html
I can barely breathe through my nose, it's actually quite serious and something I should probably get checked out. I don't think a nasal pillow would work. Thanks so much for the offer!