Positive health effects from treatment?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
nicholasjh1

Re: Positive health effects from treatment?

Post by nicholasjh1 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:47 pm

My H1C has gone from Pre-diabetic 5.7 to 5.4
My Cholesterol has gone from 220 to 170
My HDL has gone from 39 to 59 with the HDL to LDL ratio 4.1
My LDL has gone from 140 to 105 (still slightlyly too high)
My Triglicerides have gone from 200 to 93
My BP has gone from 144/85 to 120/65
My Gerd has lessened
I now have solid poops
Less yelling at my kids
I no longer get sick when I institute an exercise regimen.
though I get slightly sick from a cold once in a while, it's hard to even notice I'm "sick" because Sick feels like the old pre-cpap normal.
No peeing at night.
General better well-being.
Edit: also generally I seem more intelligent, but that's hard to quantify.
Also I'm now able to enjoy reading again.

What hasn't improved
I used to "sleep" through the night. Now I wake up 0-5 times.
Instead of Sleep apnea it should be called "Sleep deprivation, starving of oxygen, being poisoned by high CO2 levels, damaging the body and brain while it's supposed to be healing so that you constantly get worse and can never get healthy Apnea"

jjc155

Post by jjc155 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:04 pm

Lets see positives since I started with my CPAP back in Sept.

1) No longer have to take Prilosec for heartburn/GERD.
2) BP is lower.
3) Have dropped about 10 lbs (but also trying to lose weight so may be a push).
4) I sleep and feel great and do no fall asleep whenever I sit down for 5 minutes.
5) no more getting up in the middle of "sleep" to pee several times.
6) Generally much better attitude and outlook.

I'm sure there are others too, but those are the biggies for me.

Your results may vary.

J-

Rainmom17

Post by Rainmom17 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:35 pm

I admit to being envious of most of you. Been at it four months. Feel just as exhausted; fall asleep reading or watching TV in the evening. Have gained 8 pounds and headaches are also more frequent now. But I won't give up! I think I'll feel better at some point. Good luck to you!

nicholasjh1

Post by nicholasjh1 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:04 am

Rainmom17 wrote:I admit to being envious of most of you. Been at it four months. Feel just as exhausted; fall asleep reading or watching TV in the evening. Have gained 8 pounds and headaches are also more frequent now. But I won't give up! I think I'll feel better at some point. Good luck to you!
Is there anything we can do to help? How are your numbers? Provigil, though not the best for night has helped some reset their sleep schedules so that they are more awake during the day. Other things that can help are plenty of fats if you have severe apnea! Your brain needs to regrow.
Instead of Sleep apnea it should be called "Sleep deprivation, starving of oxygen, being poisoned by high CO2 levels, damaging the body and brain while it's supposed to be healing so that you constantly get worse and can never get healthy Apnea"

nicholasjh1

Post by nicholasjh1 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:07 am

USMCVet wrote:So I'm curious what possible positive health effects i might experience?
Currently i have hypertension that is not ideally controlled. I gained 40 pounds in a couple months while in service, elevated liver enzymes since i got out of service, just found our I'm pre- diabetic.
Assuming these things are related to my OSA how long before i might start seeing improvements?
The main thing that can help liver function is phosphotidyl lipid complex (phophatidylserine, Posphatidylcholine, phosphatidylinisotal etc). or taking a lot of soy, but that comes with the phytoestrogen side effects. Bacopa and ashwaganda can also help the liver and a good for brain regrowth.

Pennywise

Post by Pennywise » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:12 am

It is too early for me to say. Only 6 weeks using the CPAP. I do notice much better alertness and concentration at work. I have hypertension and I hope it will reduce it.
--Jack