Devices/programs to help evaluate sleep status

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Pugsy

Re: Devices/programs to help evaluate sleep status

Post by Pugsy » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:56 pm

Quick note.

Short night last night. Woke up too darn early again. 4 1/2 hours of sleep.
Interesting to note that I did take an hour long nap on the couch this morning and the FitBit flagged it as 1 hour of light sleep and it was definitely very light sleep as I sort of half remember some of the TV sounds and such. So in and out of sleep.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

QueSera

Post by QueSera » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:28 pm

I’ve been using a Charge 2 for some time now, and although it’s not 100% accurate, it gives me a sense of when I fell asleep and how fragmented it was that I can compare to my Sleepyhead results for a better picture of my night’s sleep.

I had a new sleep study last night, and was set up with all the electrodes by a really knowledgeable and friendly tech, who noticed my FitBit. He told me that its sleep stage reports aren’t generally accurate, in his experience, except for the REM stage. My REM stages are pretty short, but this morning, when I showed him my FitBit chart for last night, he said that the REM figure was pretty close to what he had observed.

I also wear an Apple Watch, and although it tracks sleep too, I haven’t yet found an app that shows the results as clearly as the FitBit app does. I’d be curious to read about any Apple Watch sleep-tracking success stories, if their are any.
It's always something. Roseanne RoseannaDanna
I was a victim of a series of circumstances, as are we all. Malachi Constant

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:21 am

Another quick update on the FitBit use.

Pulse rate tested and compared at the doctor's office yesterday and it was spot on accurate as in matched what the pulse ox reported.

In terms of reporting the sleep stages....I have had known awake times that weren't reported as awake but instead reported as "light" sleep.
Both last night and the night before.
Known awake times are really all I can for sure evaluate and compare since I have no way to know for sure what sleep stages I might be in.
Light sleep seems fairly accurate though for the most part anyway.

The fact that I have known awake times that weren't flagged as awake causes me to sort of take the other with a grain of salt I guess.
Especially this morning where I know I was awake or semi awake for the last hour or so because the dog was walking around restless which made me restless. So I know I was awake part of the time but all it reported was "light" sleep....but I know she was walking around because her toenails make noise on the hardwood floors.

The beginning of the night (last night) it seemed to be more accurate because I had some unusual (for me anyway) trouble getting to sleep and actually got up once.
Below is the report from last night. For sure I didn't ever go to sleep at all until after the 3rd awake time flag...so the first short period in light sleep isn't accurate. Also I had known awake time (I looked at the clock) during that last hour of light sleep and there's no awake flag.

Overall though it's a decent representation of my night and better than nothing but it isn't 100% spot on accurate in terms of wake vs sleep stages which by default makes me wonder about accuracy of deep and REM sleep stage reporting. I can't help but question one part of the results when I know for sure that another part isn't accurate.
People who want to use it...just be aware it isn't perfect in all situations but it is something that probably comes close and close enough for government work if you understand what that means. Since as of yet there are no home gadgets that use EEG leads to measure real brain activity for evaluation of sleep...it's certainly something and something that while not 100% accurate probably comes close enough to give a person a starting point for sleep evaluation. Might be really interesting to use a Zeo with and compare those 2 gadgets but I don't have a Zeo and not really interested in trying to find one. This gets me close enough for my needs. Neither the Zeo or the FitBit can tell us why we wake up when we don't want to. I know the reason for the sleep maintenance insomnia last night...the dog. Two nights ago and the 4 1/2 hours of sleep and the wake up and couldn't get back to sleep...have no idea at all why that happened.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Pennywise

Post by Pennywise » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:18 am

I have been using the Charge 2 for a few months. The only problem wearing it at night for me is that it has very bright display. I like a dark room and It shines brightly when I move my arm, sometimes waking me.
I sent Fitbit a suggestion for a night mode with a dimmed display. It would also save battery use.
--Jack

tedtomato

Post by tedtomato » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:38 pm

For sleep tracking, I have tried:

* The Jawbone UP3 band
* The ResMed S+
* The Fitbit Charge 2 band

The Jawbone device is measuring quite nicely the sleep stages. However, it's not very good at doing other things, and it has been discontinued (and Jawbone have exited the consumer market).

The ResMed S+ is a waste of money. The "ultrasound" technology very much depends on the proximity of the sensor, and the sleep position. It couldn't detect accurately my breathing when testing it. On the basis that they seem to be selling old stock and haven't made changes to the device or website for years, I don't think ResMed really believe in their product either.

I am using the Fitbit Charge 2 now, and it seems to be tracking sleep stages quite nicely. I had a full sleep study/PSG a few month ago, and wore the Fitbit device at the same time. The Fitbit results were broadly the same as the PSG, and the sleep doctor was quite impressed (particularly when one relies on many electrodes stuck to the skulls/EEG, while the other can only rely on wrist motion and heart rate).

See comparison of graphs below (PSG at the top, Fitbit at the bottom):

I would love to try the Dreem (headband with sensors/electrodes), but nobody has tried one yet, and it's too expensive. There is however a 30 day trial period, so maybe I will try it in a few months, once real reviews are in.

Conclusion: if you want to track sleep stages, the Fitbit Charge 2 is probably the best affordable device now, and it can do many other things too. If you are on a tight budget, try to find a Jawbone UP3 band.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:15 pm

I still very much like my Misfit Flash, which is extremely accurate for the price.
Also the only one which will work on wrist, hip, chest, or ANKLE!
Not everyone can put things on their wrist, but some companies fail to consider that.
Just received an e-flyer from Misfit.
The crystal monitors are on sale--at a fraction of the original prices!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:04 am

Have to report a disappointing result from the FitBit last night. Totally missed recording approx 3 1/2 hours of sleep last night.
It said I went to sleep at 2:59 AM and it was actually closer to 11:30 PM.
Not sure what happened.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:11 am

Pugsy: They're baaaaack!
(The aliens)

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:36 am

chunkyfrog wrote:Pugsy: They're baaaaack!
(The aliens)
Yep...it does appear so. I haven't had time yet to check the cpap data to see if they messed with that too.

Oh well...the good news is that I finally got more hours of sleep last night which has been a battle for me the last few weeks.
Only one remembered wake up of any significance where I saw it was still dark outside and thought "do I get up or do I try to go back to sleep" and decided to at least try and it worked this time. It hasn't been working so great lately the "go back to sleep" thing.

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:42 am

You can manually tell it when you went to sleep. It will sometimes recalculate your sleep stages, other times it gives the old style asleep/awake graph. More often than not I get the detailed sleep stages report when I change the sleep time.
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:21 am

TASmart wrote:You can manually tell it when you went to sleep. It will sometimes recalculate your sleep stages, other times it gives the old style asleep/awake graph. More often than not I get the detailed sleep stages report when I change the sleep time.
I forgot about that feature. Will try it later and see if it works or not.
Up until now I have just relied on it doing it automatically and it has been spot on accurate when the night started.

Soothest Sleep

Post by Soothest Sleep » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:16 am

Has anyone experience with the Sleepace RestOn device? Like the Withings Aura, there is a band that slips under the bedsheet; reports are generated through a phone/device app. A local dealer has them on sale, and I am tempted to purchase. I've read a mix of online reviews, but was wondering if anyone in this community has tried it.

Thanks,
Jean
O soft embalmer of the still midnight,
Shutting, with careful fingers and benign,
Our gloom-pleas'd eyes, embower'd from the light,
Enshaded in forgetfulness divine
-- John Keats

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:13 am

Soothest Sleep wrote:Has anyone experience with the Sleepace RestOn device? Like the Withings Aura,
Forum member RobK mentions using a Withings Aura on the first page of this thread. You might send him a PM and ask for more details if what he said isn't sufficient for your needs.

He's the only one that I remember using the Aura...might be others but I don't remember. Not common though.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:19 am

S+ by ResMed
I picked up an S+ by ResMed on Amazon for $35. I've used it for a few nights now and below are some screenshots of the results of a recent night as provided by the S+ website. The S+ requires a smartphone app and WiFi for functionality and similar information is presented by the app on the phone.
The S+ uses motion sensing technology to determine ones breathing and appears to be reasonably sensitive. The app can be used to observe breathing waveforms in real time, but the waveforms are not saved. The system requires no physical attachment to the body and is easy to set up and use.
The S+ system is designed to help monitor and improve sleep based primarily on good sleep hygiene principles. The results of one's sleep are graded on a percentile basis of how well a sleep compares with ResMed's data base of "normal" sleep for persons of the same age and gender. Feed back is given in the form of factoids about sleep and tips on how to improve observed shortcomings. A hypnogram and analysis of a sleep are provided which express the stages of sleep in hours and minutes and a history of sleep is available to observe trends. One is also able to input factors such as daily exercise, stress, caffeine use, etc. to track the impact these might have on sleep. The system also monitors and reports ambient light, sound, and temperature to help optimize the sleep environment. A report of sleep over time, written in a somewhat medical format, can be presented to a doctor as an objective review of past sleep.
Is it accurate? My opinion is that it is accurate enough for the purpose. Probably as accurate as other sleep monitors that rely on actigraphy, such as the FitBit. It does not offer sufficiently fine enough detail to be able to zoom in on a specific event, but I think it could be used to effectively improve sleep hygiene. In my particular case, I think it understates REM and overstates Deep, but it seems to be consistent, so that it could be used to see if either were trending over time. Overall hours of sleep and other sleep metrics appear to be reasonably accurate. Notice in the example how the hypnogram sleep stages correspond to SleepyHead Respiration Rate changes and a break in therapy.
Bottom line...a reasonably accurate sleep monitor to help improve sleep hygiene at a very reasonable price (which probably means ResMed will abandon it).

http://sleep.mysplus.com/

Mind=REM Body=Deep

Soothest Sleep

Post by Soothest Sleep » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:22 am

Pugsy wrote:
Soothest Sleep wrote:Has anyone experience with the Sleepace RestOn device? Like the Withings Aura,
Forum member RobK mentions using a Withings Aura on the first page of this thread.
Thank you; I had read his post. The Aura is way out of my budget, so not in the cards for me now.
To clarify, it is the Sleepace RestOn for which I am seeking forum members' reviews.

Jean
O soft embalmer of the still midnight,
Shutting, with careful fingers and benign,
Our gloom-pleas'd eyes, embower'd from the light,
Enshaded in forgetfulness divine
-- John Keats