FFM Suggestions,....

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Arlene1963

Re: FFM Suggestions,....

Post by Arlene1963 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:21 am

Sheriff Buford wrote:Dang... now you guys got me looking at the air touch F20.... last thing I need to do is buy another mask. Still... it looks interesting...

Sheriff
LOL! This is how it goes for me, the way someone describes a mask piques my interest so much that I end up buying it to try it out

I got very lucky this last time with the Dreamwear, but there have been a couple of lemons as well.

Hannibal 2

Post by Hannibal 2 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:20 am

Sheriff Buford wrote:Dang... now you guys got me looking at the air touch F20.... last thing I need to do is buy another mask. Still... it looks interesting...

Sheriff
I didn't get on with the AirTouch 20 at all, found it very leaky compared to the standard AirFit 20 bit hopefully it may work for you.

Where have you been? It's alright we know where you've been!"
(You've been in the pipeline...)

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:23 am

I have always felt that if something looked "interesting" and piqued my curiosity then it was worth trying if possible.
I always learned something from my experiments...and sometimes the only thing I learned was what a bad idea that experiment was..but I learned something.
We never know how we might do with a mask until we try it. Unfortunately mask experiments aren't cheap so unless I can get my hands on something "interesting" so it doesn't cost me much I don't always check out what looks "interesting" to me.

If someone has their RX on file with cpap.com....and a mask comes with free return insurance....and they have the money in their pocketbook to try a new mask...go for it.
If money is tight....wait and watch the forum or ask the forum members if they happen to have one they don't want.

The AirTouch foam cushion thing....is going to make it a bit more tricky because even if not used the foam will eventually break down due to exposure to air.
But people can still give away or sell at reduce prices the headgear and frame and let a person buy their own cushion. Still cheaper than full price.

So if any of you guys/gals have the AirTouch...and you know it isn't going to work out for you...offer it on the forum either for sale or for free.
Let someone else experiment and not have it cost so much.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Mark55

Post by Mark55 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:41 pm

Hannibal 2 wrote:
Mark55 wrote:The only other things I can add is I have already tried a hybrid (Amara View) and no go
How long did you try the Amara View for and what were your issues? Also, what is your pressure set at?
Many here have found this to be an excellent mask, but a it does require some perseverance and critical adjustment to get it right.
It's arguably not great at high pressure, but for me, it is by far the best mask I have used even though I had some initial issues with it, just making sure you didn't give up on it at the first hurdle.
Also, it's very important to get the cushion size correct, this is measured differently to other FFMs.
Good Luck and hope you're sleeping better soon.
I tried it several times, but never slept in it because I couldn't stop the terrible leaks. I had both size cushions, and even watched You Tube tricks and tips videos on the mask. I run low pressure, between 6 and 8cm.

Never did get it to work,...it's lying in a drawer in the bag.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:41 pm

Pugsy wrote:
I have always felt that if something looked "interesting" and piqued my curiosity then it was worth trying if possible.
I always learned something from my experiments...and sometimes the only thing I learned was what a bad idea that experiment was..but I learned something.
We never know how we might do with a mask until we try it. Unfortunately mask experiments aren't cheap so unless I can get my hands on something "interesting" so it doesn't cost me much I don't always check out what looks "interesting" to me.

If someone has their RX on file with cpap.com....and a mask comes with free return insurance....and they have the money in their pocketbook to try a new mask...go for it.
If money is tight....wait and watch the forum or ask the forum members if they happen to have one they don't want.

The AirTouch foam cushion thing....is going to make it a bit more tricky because even if not used the foam will eventually break down due to exposure to air.

But people can still give away or sell at reduce prices the headgear and frame and let a person buy their own cushion. Still cheaper than full price.

So if any of you guys/gals have the AirTouch...and you know it isn't going to work out for you...offer it on the forum either for sale or for free.
Let someone else experiment and not have it cost so much.
We have a "great pillow exchange", why not a mask sale/trade post?

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:43 pm

My wife and I both tried it. At that time, I was running 18 cm pressure, and had a lot of large leaks. My wife used hers until they increased her pressure to 16 cm, and then she started having large leaks. Per haps others have been able to get a good seal at higher pressures, but we couldn't,

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:52 pm

LSAT wrote: We have a "great pillow exchange", why not a mask sale/trade post?
Works for me either as separate or just change the "Great Pillow" thread to encompass it all.
One stop shopping so to speak.
Swap/sell/trade or whatever.
I admit to being a bit torn...on one hand everyone except newbies pretty much knows about the Great Pillow thread but it is getting pretty darn big.
But having one place to point newbies to for checking available inventory for pretty much everything might be a good thing. I can edit the topic to include more than pillows if we want.
Maybe I could do a poll and ask which might be preferred and really irritate the people who don't like polls.

I got a few new masks donated the other day and I just haven't had time to post them but might be nice to have one thread to post freebie stuff like that and wouldn't hurt to have some "for sale or trade or wanted...gently used" stuff mixed in. Buying used was how I funded all my mask experiments when I first started therapy...sure couldn't do it on the insurance allowed one mask every 6 months thing.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Hannibal 2

Post by Hannibal 2 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:58 am

What does 'gently used' mean?

I used my AirTouch F20 cushion for about 3 weeks, I wouldn't have thought anyone would want a used cushion, but if they do it's their's for the cost of postage from the UK.

Edit: It's a Large

Hannibal 2

Post by Hannibal 2 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:03 am

Mark55 wrote:
Hannibal 2 wrote:
Mark55 wrote:The only other things I can add is I have already tried a hybrid (Amara View) and no go
How long did you try the Amara View for and what were your issues? Also, what is your pressure set at?
Many here have found this to be an excellent mask, but a it does require some perseverance and critical adjustment to get it right.
It's arguably not great at high pressure, but for me, it is by far the best mask I have used even though I had some initial issues with it, just making sure you didn't give up on it at the first hurdle.
Also, it's very important to get the cushion size correct, this is measured differently to other FFMs.
Good Luck and hope you're sleeping better soon.
I tried it several times, but never slept in it because I couldn't stop the terrible leaks. I had both size cushions, and even watched You Tube tricks and tips videos on the mask. I run low pressure, between 6 and 8cm.

Never did get it to work,...it's lying in a drawer in the bag.
Fair play, may be a steal for someone else here maybe?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:52 am

Hannibal 2 wrote:What does 'gently used' mean?
Hannibal 2 wrote:I used my AirTouch F20 cushion for about 3 weeks,
In most situations 3 weeks would be considered "gently used" but in the case of the F20 AirTouch it's going to probably mean much more because even without facial contact the open and exposed to the air will affect the foam negatively pretty quickly. Unlike the silicone that wouldn't be hurt if it lay in the drawer for 6 months.

Even an old tired AirTouch could have value in terms of sizing though...say if a person had one size and was just wondering if a different size might fit better and those puppies aren't cheap.

Shipping from the UK to outside the UK is obviously going to create significant extra expense and might not work so great but shipping within the UK not so much so.

Example...suppose someone in the UK was using the AirTouch F20 and was using a large size cushion...and yours was a medium cushion...and they were just wondering if the medium might fit better but didn't want to spend the money on a brand new medium just to check for size.
No, they might not want to use it all night because the foam might not be in such good shape but maybe it could be used for general sizing just to see if the overall size might be better than the large they were using.

You have to think like a cpap hoarder (which I have to admit that I am one) and think "is there still something in this unwanted cushion that might be useful to someone". It doesn't have to be that the use is to get another month or two or three out of something. It might just be to check for sizing. Check to see if the size is close enough to warrant maybe a purchase before spending dollars on a size that might not work so great.