Help..nasal congestion no full face mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Jerseyguy

Help..nasal congestion no full face mask

Post by Jerseyguy » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:33 pm

Anything I can do I tried flonase and mucinex not really helping

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Hopeful50

Re: Help..nasal congestion no full face mask

Post by Hopeful50 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:38 pm

When I was new to CPAP I started with a nasal mask, but also purchased a FFM for times of bad congestion. I've had a number of colds, even a bout of pneumonia, but never needed the FFM. I've always been able to breath comfortably with Dreamwear nasal no matter how bad my congestion has been. You might just give your regular mask a try and see how it goes.

AMESS

Post by AMESS » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:41 am

An ongoing problem for me since the get go 3 months ago. Congestion is the biggest side effect of CPap. Went to allergist about it. No real answers. Since I have severe sleep apnea its a must I stick with it. No I do not feel great, and yes, I wake up with congestion. Hot shower, mucinex, cough drops,anything that can help.
Nothing has really worked great for me me. Just living with it and not happy. Still trying to figure out what to do.

49er

Post by 49er » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:26 am

Jerseyguy wrote:Anything I can do I tried flonase and mucinex not really helping

I found wearing a full face mask when I had a cold was not helpful and in fact, made it harder for me to breath. But fortunately, raising the pressure solved the problem.

You might want to give this a shot and try raising it a little bit to see if that helps. If you don't how to change it, go to http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p ... tup-manual to get an instruction manual for your machine.

Best of luck.

49er

RandyJ

Post by RandyJ » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:27 am

Using Flonase or Nasonex regularly can be beneficial, but you have to use them every day/night, not just occasionally.

I have congestion issues this time of year due to dryness. What seems to help me: Ayr nasal gel (not spray) a few times a day to keep nostrils moisturized. (I put a pea sized amount on a cotton swab and apply it inside my nostrils an inch or so up where they get narrow. Once applied to both, I inhale a bit to bring it up.)

When I simply can't breathe, Afrin is the nasal spray of last resort. True, you don't want to use it too many days in a row -- 3 or so days is the most -- but it will open things up in a matter of minutes, so you can get the mask on and breathe.

Alt masks Swift FX pillows, Mirage FX nasal mask, Mirage Quattro full face mask

knothead

Post by knothead » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:40 am

Jerseyguy wrote:Anything I can do I tried flonase and mucinex not really helping

I use a netti pot to cleanse out the nose. A little nose bath with saline works wonders for me and lots of folks. Its worth a try...good luck.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:52 pm

I can't quite bring myself to use a neti pot, but I use a saline nasal spray when I'm congested. Usually I can clear out enough to keep using my DreamWare mask, but if not I have a FF mask and I crank up the humidity. I find that once I have the CPAP going the congestion usually clears and for the first time in my life I can actually sleep well at night with a cold.

However, there's always the "gooey night" when I sneeze and my nose runs constantly at the beginning of a cold. I still use my FF mask and just resolve to have to stop and wipe my nose several times that night. I just have to keep reminding myself that it's only one night out of my life.

A side note: Since starting CPAP (and maybe also because of dietary changes) I almost never get a cold anymore. Perhaps once every few years instead of 6 - 10 per year.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

MeToo

Post by MeToo » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:38 pm

Is this normal congestion, or congestion due to cold? If you have allergy-related congestion then a nasal steroid like Flonase or Nasonex every day along with Zyrtec or similar oral antihistamine.

If due to cold, neti pot with kosher salt and baking soda as mentioned before. Also, I use Afrin (or generic) and haven't had a problem. You can alternate nostrils. I have done this for as long as 2 weeks without any problems. Just keeping one pipe open can get you a decent night's sleep.