Positive health effects from treatment?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
USMCVet

Positive health effects from treatment?

Post by USMCVet » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:00 am

So I'm curious what possible positive health effects i might experience?
Currently i have hypertension that is not ideally controlled. I gained 40 pounds in a couple months while in service, elevated liver enzymes since i got out of service, just found our I'm pre- diabetic.
Assuming these things are related to my OSA how long before i might start seeing improvements?

49er

Re: Positive health effects from treatment?

Post by 49er » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:03 am

USMCVet wrote:So I'm curious what possible positive health effects i might experience?
Currently i have hypertension that is not ideally controlled. I gained 40 pounds in a couple months while in service, elevated liver enzymes since i got out of service, just found our I'm pre- diabetic.
Assuming these things are related to my OSA how long before i might start seeing improvements?
Hi USMCVet,

Forgive me if you are doing this already but here are some proactive steps you can take regarding your hypertension and being pre diabetic. I have started exercising every day for 45 minutes to an hour. I have also changed my diet to eat as many cups of vegetables as I can tolerate. And I have incorporated a low carb diet.

My blood pressure was never high to begin with but during the last visit to the PCP, it was 106/60. It has never been that low. And my A1C was 5.1 when it in the past, it has been at pre diabetic ranges at 5.7. Just so you know, "healthy" carbs can spike blood sugar.

I can't answer the questions of whether being on pap therapy will help with these issues but obviously, it can't hurt. And of course, check with your doctor regarding diet and exercise.

Best of luck.

49er

kteague

Post by kteague » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:53 am

You might enjoy reading the thread at the top of the page with success stories. Many of them reference health gains. While treatment may not "cure" other health conditions, many like me report the amount of meds needed for blood pressure etc were reduced. My overall health and well being improved greatly. Used to be on at least a dozen prescriptions and still spiraling downward. Now have 5 scripts. Hopefully a little bit down the road you'll be adding to the thread of success stories and telling us what difference treatment has made for you.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:48 am

People report their hair loss has stopped and even reversed... same for bedroom problems which apparently got better.

I personally think that an hour of working out is half an hour too much and can even be counterproductive (your appetite goes crazy after too much of it), and that low-carb, while admirable, needs to be worked out when paired with 'cups of vegetables' every day as those are carbs as well, however good for you they may be - I'm certainly not advocating that you don't eat veggies of course.

AMESS

Post by AMESS » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:56 am

I do 20 minutes of fast walking every day no matter what. It has lowered my BP. Now the good news--kids say I look better -more robust and great skin since being on cpap for 3 months. Hard to believe but I am a glutton for good comments.

49er

Post by 49er » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:46 am

Julie wrote:People report their hair loss has stopped and even reversed... same for bedroom problems which apparently got better.

I personally think that an hour of working out is half an hour too much and can even be counterproductive (your appetite goes crazy after too much of it), and that low-carb, while admirable, needs to be worked out when paired with 'cups of vegetables' every day as those are carbs as well, however good for you they may be - I'm certainly not advocating that you don't eat veggies of course.
Julie, not to sidetrack this thread but everyone is different as far as exercise needs. Having said that, I am looking into cutting back to 45 minutes with the exception of days like this morning when I had an early dentist appointment.

Regarding the issue of carbs, I should have mentioned that USMCVet might want to purchase a glucometer and start measuring his blood sugar to see what foods he can and cannot tolerate. Many people with metabolic issues can't even handle "healthy" carbs as I found out when plain oatmeal spiked me into the diabetic range. But again, everyone is different.

49er

squid13

Post by squid13 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:03 am

I was taking 20 MG of enalapril blood pressure medicine twice a day, now I take 2.5 MG twice a day thanks to cpap.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:13 am

Awoke feeling like Superman after first night of CPAP therapy!

Recovered my morning wood within first week ... I'm back to just like when I was in my 20's

Lost about 30 lbs after first couple of months ... without changing diet of physical activity. Lost another 60 lbs after dialing in lifestyle changes.

Eliminated all my allergies/ upper respiratory issues ... have not had the flu since starting CPAP therapy -- and the very mild but very rare cold symptoms I've had go away within a couple of days.

Over all, I feel like I did when I was in my 30's even though I'm approaching 60.

Hope that helps.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:19 am

Stay "N" Alive! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:25 am

I'll let you know if I ever get any.
Phillips 960 AutoSV Paving Brick, Phillips Dreamwear Mask - Nothing is working.
Diagnosis of crappy sleep, desats under 80, maybe UARS

USMCVet

Post by USMCVet » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:36 am

I've had hypertension since i was in service so exercise won't help that lol, i quit smoking and that did nothing, ate healthy reduced salt blah blah blah and none of that ever made a difference so I'm hoping CPAP therapy does!

Once i actually have energy again i do want to start exercising more again.

Now as far as being pre diabetic that's just what VA Dr. Told me. Didn't tell me anything else like how to prevent it from getting worse, types of food or drinks to try and avoid or next steps.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:44 am

About 3 months after starting, the dog pulled his leash out of my hand,
so I ran after him 2 blocks before catching him. Then I realized I was not winded!
Prior to cpap, I could barely run 200 FEET without nearly passing out.
Around the same time, my BOSS remarked that my mental ability had improved remarkably.

49er

Post by 49er » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:48 am

USMCVet wrote:I've had hypertension since i was in service so exercise won't help that lol, i quit smoking and that did nothing, ate healthy reduced salt blah blah blah and none of that ever made a difference so I'm hoping CPAP therapy does!

Now as far as being pre diabetic that's just what VA Dr. Told me. Didn't tell me anything else like how to prevent it from getting worse, types of food or drinks to try and avoid or next steps.
Sites that might be helpful

https://lowcarbrn.wordpress.com/
http://www.diabetes-book.com/

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:55 am

USMCVet wrote:I've had hypertension since i was in service so exercise won't help that lol, i quit smoking and that did nothing, ate healthy reduced salt blah blah blah and none of that ever made a difference so I'm hoping CPAP therapy does!

Dr. Fung will splains it to you .... IDM

President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

Arlene1963

Post by Arlene1963 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:57 am

I've noticed some very positive changes since being on CPAP .... lower BP (taking 1/2 the meds now that I took before), lower resting heart rate, greater ability to exercise, more positive outlook, and I'm far less anxious.

Fewer night sweats, no more episodes of waking up with a racing heart, random PVCs or SVTs which were becoming increasingly frequent have completely resolved.

No more ear infections. (I was getting recurrent ear infections for the better part of a year prior to diagnosis for no reason)

Even my mouth feels healthier, tongue no longer has a white coating and I haven't had a cavity since I started CPAP. I always had cavities before.

Basically CPAP has been amazing for me. I'm really one of the lucky ones. Took me a while to wrap my head around it at first, though, but now I can't imagine sleeping without the mask.

OSA was slowly killing me and I had no idea.