Changes To CPAPtalk Operating and Moderation Practices

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Pugsy

Re: Changes To CPAPtalk Operating and Moderation Practices

Post by Pugsy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:44 am

DonO wrote: It seems that this ban, no matter how well deserved in the views of many here happened without allowing a warning or a chance to change behavior.
No, not true. He was actually given many, many warning about how his behavior and speech were unacceptable.
The warnings were private and not public. Forum administrator warnings here are private and not public. They won't publicly target anyone with those types of warnings.
He knew he was treading on thin ice and chose to go right on doing it anyway.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

DonO

Post by DonO » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:55 am

Pugsy wrote:
DonO wrote: It seems that this ban, no matter how well deserved in the views of many here happened without allowing a warning or a chance to change behavior.
No, not true. He was actually given many, many warning about how his behavior and speech were unacceptable.
The warnings were private and not public. Forum administrator warnings here are private and not public. They won't publicly target anyone with those types of warnings.
Good to know. Thanks for posting. From the outside, it looked different.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:15 pm

DonO wrote:
Pugsy wrote:
Good to know. Thanks for posting. From the outside, it looked different.
Not if you had been following his posts over time. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:53 pm

Considering how abusive and obscene he could get, I am a bit surprised that
A) it took so long
B) it finally happened

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:04 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Considering how abusive and obscene he could get, I am a bit surprised that
A) it took so long
B) it finally happened
Me Too:

He was like a train wreck, you knew you shouldn't watch, but did! It became addictive, waiting for the next stupid post to arrive. We never had to wait long! I hope he finds a cure for his life, but I doubt he will. Jim

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:31 pm

Goofproof wrote:He was like a train wreck, you knew you shouldn't watch, but did! It became addictive, waiting for the next stupid post to arrive. We never had to wait long! I hope he finds a cure for his life, but I doubt he will.
I hear you.
I actually have some very mixed feelings about him personally...part of me wants to think he is just a plain ordinary mean old SOB and part of me thinks he is nothing but a troll sitting over in his house laughing his ass off at us because we let him get away with for so long and part of me wonders if he is really mentally ill or not all there or compromised in some fashion.

Here's the deal though...we won't/can't ever really know what went on in his head.

Whatever was going on or his own reasons behind it all....it was an extreme disruption to the overall forum quality and it was chasing people off.
He took the term "pissing contest" to a whole new level and our ordinary pissing contests are disruptive enough as it is.

We are supposed to be helping people...not chasing them off.

And here we are...still talking about him which is what trolls or people wanting to be the center of attention eat up....attention...good or bad they don't care because either feeds their egos.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:39 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Goofproof wrote:He was like a train wreck, you knew you shouldn't watch, but did! It became addictive, waiting for the next stupid post to arrive. We never had to wait long! I hope he finds a cure for his life, but I doubt he will.
I hear you.
I actually have some very mixed feelings about him personally...part of me wants to think he is just a plain ordinary mean old SOB and part of me thinks he is nothing but a troll sitting over in his house laughing his ass off at us because we let him get away with for so long and part of me wonders if he is really mentally ill or not all there or compromised in some fashion.

Here's the deal though...we won't/can't ever really know what went on in his head.

Whatever was going on or his own reasons behind it all....it was an extreme disruption to the overall forum quality and it was chasing people off.
He took the term "pissing contest" to a whole new level and our ordinary pissing contests are disruptive enough as it is.

And here we are...still talking about him which is what trolls or people wanting to be the center of attention eat up....attention...good or bad they don't care because either feeds their egos.
Maybe that alone will make his life better, as I said until old posts are read only, nothing dies out for good. Anyway it's better, not healed but better. Jim

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:39 pm

Pugsy wrote:
I hear you.

Maybe that alone will make his life better, as I said until old posts are read only, nothing dies out for good. Anyway it's better, not healed but better. Jim

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:03 pm

I hear you.

I have to say that people kept responding to him, and that rewarded his bad behavior and gave him every reason to continue.

I know that we had to watch what he said to newbies who were asking for help. I "foe'd" him but if he was on a newbie thread I did pay attention to see that he wasn't giving really bad advice or trashing them. This was made harder because it took so long for registrations to go through that there was no way to pm newbies to let them know what was going on (and yes, I understand WHY we had to change the registration process thanks to our Korean scammer). The spammer, the floods in Houston (keeping the Goodmans occupied and unable to approve registrations quickly) and our own responses to him created the perfect conditions for the scum to grow.

I think what made it worse is when he played his troll games, many of our regular members fed right into them and threads were effectively hijacked. Nothing more constructive could then be accomplished in any thread he decided to play in, but the people who responded to him were being used like puppets. His responses were predictable, but still people fell for them. He was a master at manipulating people. We ALL bear some responsibility for feeding that troll and letting him get so fat and happy.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:25 pm

Janknitz wrote:
I hear you.

I have to say that people kept responding to him, and that rewarded his bad behavior and gave him every reason to continue.

I know that we had to watch what he said to newbies who were asking for help. I "foe'd" him but if he was on a newbie thread I did pay attention to see that he wasn't giving really bad advice or trashing them. This was made harder because it took so long for registrations to go through that there was no way to pm newbies to let them know what was going on (and yes, I understand WHY we had to change the registration process thanks to our Korean scammer). The spammer, the floods in Houston (keeping the Goodmans occupied and unable to approve registrations quickly) and our own responses to him created the perfect conditions for the scum to grow.

I think what made it worse is when he played his troll games, many of our regular members fed right into them and threads were effectively hijacked. Nothing more constructive could then be accomplished in any thread he decided to play in, but the people who responded to him were being used like puppets. His responses were predictable, but still people fell for them. He was a master at manipulating people. We ALL bear some responsibility for feeding that troll and letting him get so fat and happy.
So True! We all were a big part of the problem, but there was no way to control it, it would continue. Someone was always waiting in line to chime in, Mob Rules. Jim

Arlene1963

Post by Arlene1963 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:18 pm

I didn't respond to X.

This is very Canadian.

I didn't grow up in Canada but have learned to appreciate this characteristic. We often "pretend" that very bizarre behaviour is simply not happening, and sometimes when it does actually get acknowledged, we blame it on what the govt did or didn't do ... or at least the local municipality.

I use public transit very often, and if x had been on the bus I strongly suspect that I would have just looked out the window.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:24 pm

Arlene1963 wrote:. . . We often "pretend" that very bizarre behaviour is simply not happening, . . .
Which, I understand, is one of the reasons that RUSH spent decades thinking that they were a perfectly normal-sounding band.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Arlene1963

Post by Arlene1963 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:27 pm

jnk... wrote:
Arlene1963 wrote:. . . We often "pretend" that very bizarre behaviour is simply not happening, . . .
Which, I understand, is one of the reasons that RUSH spent decades thinking that they were a perfectly normal-sounding band.
Jnk, I am howling with laughter here!

Morbius

Post by Morbius » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:18 pm

jnk... wrote:
There are no coincidneces:

Alphabet Terminus Reloaded

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:37 pm

Johnny,

Thank you. I know this isn't something you wanted to do.

I could not have been successful with my CPAP therapy without this site. I was away for about 6-8 months -- doing fun stuff with my dogs! -- and was dismayed when I returned to see the situation.

Here's hoping CPAPTalk can return to what it was and can be.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5