Resmed S9 Autoset power supply pin broke off in machine!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
remstarcpap

Resmed S9 Autoset power supply pin broke off in machine!

Post by remstarcpap » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:37 pm

So I was visiting a friend and had my spare ResMed S9, tried to started up and got the dreaded check your power supply message. After fiddling with it for a bit I looked carefully at the jack on the S9 and the pins on the power cord and noticed that one of the pins had broken off and was now embedded into the female jack on the S9.

The machine would not start up, or it would start up and then throw the error message check your power supply.

Not a disaster as I was able to drive home late that night and use my main CPAP but what a pain and it got me to thinking about travel. Does anyone here travel with a backup CPAP? I really don't know if I can sleep without CPAP as I've used one for the better part of 10 years. I do have a little tiny Z1 travel CPAP that I never use, but I think I might start throwing it into my bag as it would take up very little room and wait and would provide a lousy but functional backup. I never thought about these tiny pins on the power supply as being critical but they really are especially when they break off inside the machine.

So here's the deal, does anyone know how I can get the pin out of the female jack on the machine. I haven't messed with it yet, but was thinking about trying a powerful magnet which I don't think will work as I don't think the pins are magnetic, alternatively I can try to upend the machine and gently bang it to see if the pin just falls out. Other than that it looks like I would have to dissemble the machine. The hole is too small for anything like a needle nose pliers or forceps.

Does anyone have a disassembly manual for the S9.?

The other question I have is does anyone know what the connector is on the end of the power supply. I suspect that if I can replace that connector everything will work fine as long as I can get the pin out. On one YouTube video I found this part: https://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDe ... 06-KPPX-3P which looks plausible but not sure if it will work.

Anyway, help would be appreciated as I hate to throw away a perfectly good CPAP. It's not under warranty, so repair is probably not an option, at least by ResMed.

I'm pretty handy with a screwdriver, Torx driver, and soldering iron, so if I can get the broken pin out, then I can just either replace the power supply commercially or see if I can hack the mouser part into the old power supply.

I see many clone power supplies on eBay for half the price, has anyone had any experience with these clone power supplies?

LSAT

Re: Resmed S9 Autoset power supply pin broke off in machine!

Post by LSAT » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:01 pm

Place a low bid on this...Only 1 day left.
https://www.amazon.com/Res-Med-AirSense ... 10+autoset

remstarcpap

Post by remstarcpap » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:09 pm

what are you smoking LSAT, amazon doesn't have bids!!!

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:58 pm

remstarcpap wrote:what are you smoking LSAT, amazon doesn't have bids!!!
Hey sorry...This is what I ment to post...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ResMed-S9-Seri ... blQAAOSwFi

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Adapter-For ... :BBQAAOSwz

Gryphon

Post by Gryphon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:18 pm

Could you post a picture - take it with your phone maybe?

I have some suggestions about removing the pin but I'd need to get a better look at what your seeing.

I'm quite good at removing stuck pins - ends of broken headphone jacks from iPads for example.

Sometimes it's just a mater of getting creative with modified paperclips or sharp things. You have to have a very steady hand and a good sense of controlling the amount of pressure you use etc...

Pictures would be most helpful.

Best of luck ether way.

Gryphon

Gryphon

Post by Gryphon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:53 pm

One option would be a two part epoxy - make up just a touch and dab it on the end of a flattened tooth pick. Touch it to the broken pin and only the pin and let it set - might allow you to pull it out with out issue.

LoBattery

Post by LoBattery » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:34 pm

I always travel with two cpap machines. You have a bad power supply plug and a damaged jack in the machine. Seems like it is time to cut the cord and solder it in directly. Add a three pin connector if separation is desired. There might be a way to push it out from inside. OR........Ta Ta, Use my two resistor trick soldered inside the machine. It will think the pin is still there. The existing power pack and machine will function as normal. Just don't plug in an actual good power supply into that machine without removing the resistor.
Seeing and believing are often both wrong. FOW

remstarcpap

Post by remstarcpap » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:23 am

Good news! I just had my first chance to really look at the broken CPAP and discovered when I compared it to my perfectly functional other S9, that there actually is no pin broken off inside the jack. There's one hole in the jack that has some metal showing on both machines. So I took a chance and plugged in the good power supply into the problem machine, and it works fine! Phew! What a relief! Now I don't have to deal with taking apart the S9.

So the only issue is what to do about the power supply? Should I:

1. Buy a new 90 Watt Resmed brand power supply? It looks like the newer and smaller version is $60 at cpap.com. On ebay they go for about $25 or so.

2. Buy the $5 part from Mouser, and solder that to the appropriate wires on my original PSU?

3. Any other options? I assume it's not worth messing with the resistor trick, and risking a $500 unit to save $25 bucks.

The pin that broke off is the one that goes in the lower left hole, and I assume it is the 3 volt sense pin, since the unit still came on, just wouldn't fire up the blower, and gave a sensing error message.

Thanks for all the help.

WRX03

Post by WRX03 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:46 am

FYI: The S9 is know for breaking off the pin in the power supply jack. The good news is you are allowed one broken pin before you have to open the CPAP and remove that pin. What I mean is: The broken off pin stuck in the CPAP doesn't have to be removed. All you have to do is get another power supply and plug it into the CPAP. It just will push the broken off pin in further. This is acceptable, ResMed directly told me to do this.

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:19 am

LSAT wrote:Place a low bid on this...Only 1 day left....
LSAT wrote:
Must be crack..
the 1st link is to Amazon a brand new full machine @$545
of the 2nd two one is a starting bid of $50 the other is "Buy it NOW" @$24

even still I don't get how a low bid even if you possibly could offer one (esp on Amazon) would fix this problem. NO explanation is possible...
Crack it is.

WRX03

Post by WRX03 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:50 am

Have you called your DME and ask them if they have any spare power supplies? If so see if they will give it to you or sell it to your dirt cheap. $10

remstarcpap

Post by remstarcpap » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:31 pm

LSAT wrote:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ResMed-S9-Seri ... blQAAOSwFi

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Adapter-For ... :BBQAAOSwz
Thanks, that makes a lot more sense.

remstarcpap

Post by remstarcpap » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:33 pm

WRX03 wrote:Have you called your DME and ask them if they have any spare power supplies? If so see if they will give it to you or sell it to your dirt cheap. $10
I don't have a DME, have always worked with CPAP.com or bought direct, as insurance doesn't cover. Do you think calling a random DME could yield a cheap PSU?

WRX03

Post by WRX03 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:20 am

Most likely not. It's a if you are our customer and get supplies from us thing.

LoBattery

Post by LoBattery » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:17 am

remstarcpap wrote:
2. Buy the $5 part from Mouser, and solder that to the appropriate wires on my original PSU?
While it looks like a stanadard HP type plug, those all have an insulator section on the end. I could never get these to work in my Resmed machine. Possibly grinding that down on a piece of sandpaper till flush with barrel metal would work. I had a spare power supply I bought from a DME for $10 and just cut the cord of that when I built a dc converter.
Seeing and believing are often both wrong. FOW