Bewildered--Every mask I get---

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MaxINTJ

Re: Bewildered--Every mask I get---

Post by MaxINTJ » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:23 am

AMESS wrote:I am with you Max. In fact I feel worse now with cold and cough. Cannot even rest right hacking away with mask on. Must just be us Max. Giving cpap a zero. But must plunge on with ahi of 68 and pulmonary hypertension. Cannot quit. Sometimes I just lay in bed not sleeping. The machine does not know--so I get good scores. I try hard here but just am not making it--yet. 2 and half months in..still hope. --Husband getting his equipment today--so it should be a dualing Cpap party tonight.
CPAP has the potential of being beneficial. My wife says I toss and turn less and don't make as much noise in the night, so she sleeps better - but I don't think that's the way it's supposed to work >.<

For me it's not the air pressure that's an issue, I don't even wake up when it goes to 25 (unless it causes a huge leak). It is 100% the mask and the stupid place they mount hoses and to a lesser extent the way they vent the things.

If they have no solution for me after this next study, I'm just going to simplify a tiny bit of my life and not deal with the hose, mask, machine, water, washing, etc., etc. and return to a less complicated way of not getting any sleep. It's like I'm putting in all this effort and dealing with more things just to be exactly where I was before all the extra "stuff".
Phillips 960 AutoSV Paving Brick, Phillips Dreamwear Mask - Nothing is working.
Diagnosis of crappy sleep, desats under 80, maybe UARS

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:17 am

xxyzx wrote:
the place they mount the hose is correct and logical and works best
stop sleeping on your tummy
problem solved
I have explained this before, but I will again.

People sleep with the back, front or side of their heads on a pillow (for the most part). To my knowledge, NOBODY sleeps standing on their head, so the top of the head is the LOGICAL and CORRECT location for several inches of plastic.

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:24 pm

xxyzx wrote: there is NOTHING LOGICAL about putting it on top of the head
and it it totally ILLOGICAL

the top of the head would be impossible to make work well
and would cause worse problems if it were attempted
Tell that to the folks who make the Dreamwear.
xxyzx wrote:you could try the one that goes in the mouth and run the hose down
I have no idea which one that is, but since I'm not a mouth breather, I haven't looked.

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:19 pm

First, figure out which type of mask you need: hint--mouth breathers need Full Face masks (FFM).

If need a FFM, then figure which to try: one that covers entire face OR one that just covers nose and mouth. If the latter, consider the hybrid style that has pillows and a mouth cushion. In this category, there are at least 3 to try: Universal Hybrid by RespCare(Innomed), Liberty, and Amara View. Since mid 2009, I've worn the Universal Hybrid, the first and simplest mask in this category, works with low to high pressures, not recommended for narrow faces. Many of us who wear this mask create an extra strap to ensure the pillows stayed anchored as we turn at night.

CPAP sells mask insurance so you can return masks that don't work for you.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:15 pm

Muse-Inc wrote:First, figure out which type of mask you need: hint--mouth breathers need Full Face masks (FFM).

If need a FFM, then figure which to try: one that covers entire face OR one that just covers nose and mouth. If the latter, consider the hybrid style that has pillows and a mouth cushion. In this category, there are at least 3 to try: Universal Hybrid by RespCare(Innomed), Liberty, and Amara View. Since mid 2009, I've worn the Universal Hybrid, the first and simplest mask in this category, works with low to high pressures, not recommended for narrow faces. Many of us who wear this mask create an extra strap to ensure the pillows stayed anchored as we turn at night.

CPAP sells mask insurance so you can return masks that don't work for you.
I am a nasal breather.

My mouth blows open at high pressures.

I have been trying to use the View, but as small as it is, it's 10 times too big and the hose is always in the way.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:24 pm

AMESS wrote:Masks start out okay--then they just dont work. Newest one--res med airtouch 20--pushes up into eyes and causes bags. Dont want that. Almost time to try a new mask. Is there a nasal pillow mask (i find pillows are the most comfortable) out there with decent head gear that actually works and does not leave marks?
Sounds like the good name for a song: Every Mask I get, Every Breath I Take, when is the record comng out. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Lfreese57@gmail.com

Post by Lfreese57@gmail.com » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:12 pm

Don’t give up. I had atrial flutter as a result of sleep apnea and ended up in the hospital. A sleep study put me at 70 events per hour. The doctor put me on a bipap machine and a full face mask. I fought it for more than a year, trying numerous type and brands of mask. It was a really rough period in my life, but I knew I had to use that machine or probably die a very early death. I am able to tolerate it , although I still have some issues. My heart Health is back to normal and I sleep pretty good, not perfect though.
So, don’t give up. You can do this.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:15 pm

Why would you register and give the whole world access to your e-mail....IMO, you should forget this registration and re-register with a different name.

aspen

Post by aspen » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:30 pm

Rather than laying asleep with the mask on, or ripping it off, try some sleep hygiene.

Once you wake up, GET up (doesn't matter if it's 2 a.m.), and go and read until you are tired again. Then go back to bed, put the mask on and try again.

Make sure there is NO caffeine past noon. No screens of any sort for the last hour before you go to bed. Go to bed same time every night.

No naps during the day if that's something you do.

There ARE ways around this, but you'll have to commit for at least two weeks with both the mask and your sleep hygiene.

BTW I'm really fussy about masks and tried every single one. I just updated mine to the better one ... and returned it for a second of the mask I really love. They are really so individual. The DME didn't even recommend the one that is best for me. I use a Fisher Paykel Pilairo Q.

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:50 pm

aspen wrote:...No screens of any sort for the last hour before you go to bed...
Kindle PAPERWHITE does NOT use blue light frequency, so it does not affect sleep. Nice to be able to read before bed and if I wake up middle of night.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.