Counterfeited cushions ???

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SayHelloForMe

Re: Counterfeited cushions ???

Post by SayHelloForMe » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:26 am

I ordered a cushion from ResMed last night out of desperation. But it is the air quattro, the exact same Cushing is the A10. I'll see what happens and post results. My headgear is new, if anyone was wondering.

SayHelloForMe

luvsbluberries

Post by luvsbluberries » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:30 pm

SayHelloForMe wrote:I ordered a cushion from ResMed last night out of desperation. But it is the air quattro, the exact same Cushing is the A10. I'll see what happens and post results. My headgear is new, if anyone was wondering.
How were you able to order from ResMed directly?

Their website refers you to DME's (and I cannot find a way to order from them directly):
"After receiving your official diagnosis from your doctor, you can get your mask and device from a home medical equipment (HME) supplier. For a list of local equipment suppliers in your area or online retailers that sell ResMed products, please contact our Customer Service department."

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:38 pm

How often do you wash your Resmed cushions?
Daily washing, as recommended, results in very short cushion life--especially Resmed parts.
[[[Yes, I smelled a rat, 6 years ago]]]
Surface cleaning (as needed) with a cpap wipe or unscented baby wipe is not as destructive to the silicone.

SayHelloForMe

Post by SayHelloForMe » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:12 pm

I ordered from Amazon and it said the supplier was ResMed. I wash my cushion frequently and thanks to this group over the course of 4 years I've learned so much.
the problem was the cushions that came directly out of the package was not given a good seal. So my conclusion is lack of quality or counterfeit or maybe even shelf life. I will post my results from the next cushion I receive very soon in the mail. I just want to say I am so thankful for this group. You all have helped out a tremendous amount of people. I like to thank everyone for their dedication, kindness and fantastic information.

SayHelloForMe

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:35 pm

I honestly feel that the liklihood of getting a counterfeit part is highest at the DME.
Online is simply more risky/less profitable for cheaters, but quantity sellers who have paid out the requisite bribes
can often do their dirtiest with impunity.

SayHelloForMe

Post by SayHelloForMe » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:39 am

I have finally reached a conclusion. I've received the cushions and a new headgear. The first night the leak rate was above 80 the second night was better it was above 24 last night the leak rate was 32. Each night I would tighten the mask a little more. My conclusion is formula for the cushions have changed. When these masks first came out they were extremely comfortable it did not take a lot of tension to tighten the mask. Now the Silicon of the Mask is poor quality. A bait and switch. Even the quality of the headgear has changed. Both were made in Singapore. My theory is they have changed this on purpose so you will buy masks more often. I can't even get a good seal on a brand new mask and my air pressure is only 12. Does anyone out there have suggestions on a different brand of mask ?

SayHelloForMe

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:43 am

SayHelloForMe wrote:I have finally reached a conclusion. I've received the cushions and a new headgear. The first night the leak rate was above 80 the second night was better it was above 24 last night the leak rate was 32. Each night I would tighten the mask a little more. My conclusion is formula for the cushions have changed. When these masks first came out they were extremely comfortable it did not take a lot of tension to tighten the mask. Now the Silicon of the Mask is poor quality. A bait and switch. Even the quality of the headgear has changed. Both were made in Singapore. My theory is they have changed this on purpose so you will buy masks more often. I can't even get a good seal on a brand new mask and my air pressure is only 12. Does anyone out there have suggestions on a different brand of mask ?
I have been uusing my Quattro for 8 years. The cushions seem to last a l o n g time. I rarely wash mine. I just wipe them with a baby wipe and boil them at about 3 months. I have not noticed any difference in todays cushions vs 8 years ago. Be sure the package says ResMed.

archangle

Post by archangle » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:50 pm

Considering how badly we get ripped off by the "legitimate" manufacturers, outright "counterfeit" mask parts might be a good idea. Especially if they don't even pretend to be the real thing, just compatible.

As for the likelihood of counterfeits, it could happen. Masks and mask parts have an easy 10x markup over manufacturing cost. High markups invite counterfeits.

Yeah, there are a lot of different mask types, but the markup is really high.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:15 pm

SayHelloForMe wrote: . . . would tighten the mask a little more. . . . it did not take a lot of tension to tighten the mask. . .
Too many providers only know, "tighten, tighten, tighten".
Sadly, the opposite often works better.
Over-tightening can cause creases in the silicone, making a good seal impossible.
My mask fits best when it is almost too loose.
The mask is like a hovercraft. You have to let the hovercraft . . . hover.

SayHelloForMe

Post by SayHelloForMe » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:51 pm

yeah, I know about the tighten thing. Ive been using this mask since it came out. I never had a problem before. I just cant get the leaks down below 20 and my pressure is 12. My AHI runs 0.1 to 0.4 but im not sure if im getting therapy because of the leaks not to mention its waking me up at night. The leaks are around my eyes. New airfit10ff and new headgear should not be doing this. I do have a pillow mask and im thinking about using it but I have to keep my mouth taped.
The mask I ordered airfit10ff was from resmed and said resmed also made in Singapore. I just cant get the seal I use too. STRANGE.

SayHelloForMe

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:20 am

SayHelloForMe wrote:yeah, I know about the tighten thing. Ive been using this mask since it came out. I never had a problem before. I just cant get the leaks down below 20 and my pressure is 12. My AHI runs 0.1 to 0.4 but im not sure if im getting therapy because of the leaks not to mention its waking me up at night. The leaks are around my eyes. New airfit10ff and new headgear should not be doing this. I do have a pillow mask and im thinking about using it but I have to keep my mouth taped.
The mask I ordered airfit10ff was from resmed and said resmed also made in Singapore. I just cant get the seal I use too. STRANGE.
Generally a leal <24 is acceptable and the machine compensates for it. I won't affect therapy. It's no problem if it doesn't disturb you and your AHI is acceptable.
wiki/index.php/Mask_Leaks