My Airsense 10 Autoset leaked water

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
no_more_headaches

Re: My Airsense 10 Autoset leaked water

Post by no_more_headaches » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:05 pm

I am wondering how many of the people with leaking chambers put them into the dishwasher with hi drying temperatures.
My wife’s chamber just started leaking right after she did a dishwasher run on it.

Supine AHI 78.9 REM AHI 16
Titrated 1/18/08, Pressure 9

mdemers800

Post by mdemers800 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:19 am

You can add me to the list of people who have seen leaks from an Airsense 10. My first tub leaked after about 6 months. My second one in maybe 5 months. I just ordered two more. I do wash nightly and put in the v positioned mentioned in a previous post, so I will stop that. However, I don’t think that is the issue.

Here is the curious thing. I have a glass top table beside my bed so damage is not my issue. So I just did a test run where I completely dried the area and then put a paper towel under the machine and ran it for 15 minutes. The first wet spots on the paper towel showed up under the two front corners of the machine, not under the tub itself as if the water were coming out of the machine, not the tub.
I don’t have more time tonight, but I will try again and report back if I can figure out where the leak is truly coming from, but it could be back though the round silicon seals that seal where the tub goes into the machine.

The tub does not leak when full and just sitting alone. It does not leak when full and in the machine. It only leaks when the machine is on and under pressure.

Has anyone replaced the round silicone seals? Can this be done? On the other hand, when I replaced the first tub, the leak went away for 5 months, so not really sure of source of leaks at this point..

mdemers800

Post by mdemers800 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:53 pm

sorry, my last post was headed in the wrong direction. the leaking is coming form the humidifier tub where the slim lower section with the metal insert connects to the larger upper section with the integrated cover. It was leaking at the seal between those two sections. I pulled at it slightly and it spread apart fairly easily. I epoxied it back together to hold me over until the new tub arrives. I used it last night, with the paper towel underneath the unit to indicate any leaks and it was completely dry in the morning. So the failure mechanism on mine is the same as the others. I also believe it is a design defect. Why have a mechanical seal below the water line. It should be manufactured as a single piece up to the water line. If they don't have engineers who can do that, they need new engineers.

MKD

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:43 pm

I got my airsense in 2014.
I just picked up my third chamber.
. . . I felt sorry for my DME.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:25 pm

BillNM wrote:Add me to the list. Have had this one about 5 months, woke up to find my nightstand covered with water.

As others have reported, the leak is where the two pieces of the tank are sonicly-welded together (below max line). This also has apparently fried the heating portion, as I now get a "Heating System Fault" when I turn it on.

This is frustrating, as I had an S8 compact for 9 years previous, with no leaks whatsoever -- if only the bearings hadn't given out, I'd still be using it.

Being without humidity in southern NM (about 10% today) really is making my nose crunchy. Yikes!
It's strange they do make another brand, not so cheaply made that it doesn't hold water. However, you seem to prefer the one that breaks and leaks, New and improved. Ha Ha Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:41 pm

no_more_headaches wrote:I am wondering how many of the people with leaking chambers put them into the dishwasher with hi drying temperatures.
My wife’s chamber just started leaking right after she did a dishwasher run on it.
There is a special dishwasher safe chamber.

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... amber.html

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

no_more_headaches

Post by no_more_headaches » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:33 pm

prodigyplace wrote:
no_more_headaches wrote:I am wondering how many of the people with leaking chambers put them into the dishwasher with hi drying temperatures.
There is a special dishwasher safe chamber.

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... amber.html
My wife’s leaking tub was the dishwasher safe version. I am just wondering if the hi temperatures are affecting the seals due to the thermal stresses.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:30 am

no_more_headaches wrote:My wife’s leaking tub was the dishwasher safe version. I am just wondering if the hi temperatures are affecting the seals due to the thermal stresses.
The manufacturer says to wash the tub in the top shelf on a mild or glass setting. The seal is not supposed to be placed in the dishwasher.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

esparzatj

Post by esparzatj » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:19 pm

I just wash mine bimonthly (15th & end of month) by hand with hand dishwasher soap. I use distilled water only, but it still leaves a gritty coating on the metal bottom. I add vinegar (undiluted) to cover the metal bottom and let it soak for about 20 minutes, then wash it out. It returns the metal surface back to like new again!

mdemers800

Post by mdemers800 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:33 am

At least in my situation, the seal that failed (in two different tubs) is not the removable silicone seal from where the cover closes, but the supposedly permanent weld between the bottom half of the lower plastic tub and the upper half of that tub. The lower half contains the metal insert. The Airsense heats this tub as part of the humidification process. The metal insert is what gets heated by the corresponding metal plate in the Airsense. I assume higher humidification has higher heat to evaporate the water. I am speculating, the thermal stress of that on an every night basis could be the issue for me because I have never put mine in the dishwasher. My humidifier has run out of water multiple times and I have noticed the tub can get pretty warm in those situations since there is no evaporation to cool it. It is like letting a pot of boiling water run dry on the stove. I do suspect that would cause thermal stress on the weld, which is where my two failed.

I have decided to make sure my tub never runs out of water again. Since some people are seeing zero problems and others are seeing significant problems, there must be some contributing factor in those situations. This is one possibility for my situation.

no_more_headaches

Post by no_more_headaches » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:30 pm

mdemers800 wrote:At least in my situation, the seal that failed (in two different tubs) is not the removable silicone seal from where the cover closes, but the supposedly permanent weld between the bottom half of the lower plastic tub and the upper half of that tub. The lower half contains the metal insert. The Airsense heats this tub as part of the humidification process. The metal insert is what gets heated by the corresponding metal plate in the Airsense. I assume higher humidification has higher heat to evaporate the water. I am speculating, the thermal stress of that on an every night basis could be the issue for me because I have never put mine in the dishwasher. My humidifier has run out of water multiple times and I have noticed the tub can get pretty warm in those situations since there is no evaporation to cool it. It is like letting a pot of boiling water run dry on the stove. I do suspect that would cause thermal stress on the weld, which is where my two failed.

I have decided to make sure my tub never runs out of water again. Since some people are seeing zero problems and others are seeing significant problems, there must be some contributing factor in those situations. This is one possibility for my situation.
I think that makes sense and my wife has some burn marks on the bottom of her chamber. They should redesign them similar to the S9 where the bottom half is metal and the swing half is clear plastic. I personally do like the ability to pull them out sideways as my unit is in a cubby on my night stand. Kind of equivalent to a missing top drawer hole. This clear the night stand top for my normal stuff. I made a grommet hole on the bed side for the hose to come out of. The chambers where the top flip open just don't have enough egress for me to get the chamber out. The S10 is perfect.

That all being said my chamber regularly runs out of water with the side design they could make larger chambers that extend sideways a little more with out much of an issue. Please somebody do that!!!

pratzert

Post by pratzert » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:29 pm

PaulKTF wrote:There was a bad production run of humidifier chambers (a bad welding job meant that the seam wasn't made waterproof) so yes, some of the humidifier chambers leak. All you can do is replace it with another one. Mine started leaking out of the blue a few days ago much to my surprise!
Hi.

How did you come across the information about a bad production run?

How can we verify that info?

Thanks.

Shaddykk

Post by Shaddykk » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:58 am

I just notice last night I looked on the floor and it was soaked with water..I was like where the water coming from the cut the machine off and it stopped and then turn it back on and looked at the bottom that's where it was comi my from..

Drakauskas

Post by Drakauskas » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:13 pm

Mine leaks too. Seems like same spot. At the seem. Never over filled.

Sleepy-Ash

Post by Sleepy-Ash » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:44 pm

I too have had problems with Remed 10 water tank leaking. I received the Remed 10 in January to replace my old s9. I am currently on my 3rd replacement water tank. Also, today my DME had to replace my machine because the leak from the tank would cause a big puddle around the machine and water got into the rear electrical port causing a short. I called Resmed to ask if this is a known problem. The Resmed Rep said a recent batch of tanks are thought to have a defect. She said they were currently unaware of what batch numbers are affected, but that she has indeed heard this same complaint from multiple customers.

For me each tank starts out fine and water tight initially. Then over a few weeks of use the tank becomes more and more leaky (I assume this has to do with the fact that the humidifier tank is heated up nightly causing expansion. And this daily expansion appears to weaken the seam defect resulting in eventually water leakage.)