Long-term cancer, etc. risks of CPAP?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
avi123

Re: Long-term cancer, etc. risks of CPAP?

Post by avi123 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:44 pm

If you ever come down with a lung cancer or a bladder cancer it would most likely be because of long term smoking and not CPAP.

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

mgaggie

Post by mgaggie » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:52 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:We eliminated our land line in the 80's. I can't believe people still have them!
The spam calls were enough to drive me bonkers.
Now if I get one, I permanently block the number, or hit reject if it is unlisted.
Sometimes I pick up, just to "tear them a new one" --just for giggles.
Its rare in Australia for someone to NOT have a landline. Its the only way we can get decent internet access. Allegedly Slovakia has faster broadband speeds than Australia

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:40 pm

This gets a little tricker from my understanding. It isn't just any cancer that has been found but I believe prostate cancer.
Well here is breast cancer in a 2500 year old "mummy" She was in hr 20's

And they have found Neanderthals with bone cancer.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

cflame1

Post by cflame1 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:55 pm

Wulfman... wrote:
Pesser wrote:Studies are seldom what they appear. Often they are NOT from observed phenomena. Here’s an example how numbers can fool you:
You take 10,000 people and drop them on a concrete floor from 25 feet = all dead
You take 10,000 people and drop them on a concrete floor from 20 feet = all dead
You take 10,000 people and drop them on a concrete floor from 18 feet = 9,100 dead
You take 10,000 people and drop them on a concrete floor from 16 feet = 8,300 dead
You take 10,000 people and drop them on a concrete floor from 16 feet = 7,300 dead

Now you have a formula to work with. If your standard deviation is within acceptable parameters you can form the basis of a linear relationship; you now can apply the above results as follows:

You take 10,000 people and drop them on a concrete floor from 1 inch = 10 dead

This is how you can form the basis of the dangers of plastics, sugar substitutes, cell phones radio waves, radio waves from outer space, radon, large cucumbers, apple skins, radiation from cement….
And, I'm still wondering about the nuclear testing they did in the '40s, '50s and '60s (upper atmospheric), the nuclear waste dumps around the world, etc. Everything adds up. That stuff makes the "BPA" issue look like nothing.

Then, there's groundwater pollution from pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers........ We could go on and on and on.

Den

Don't have to tell me about groundwater pollution. I grew up on a farm. Dad used chemicals, as did all of the neighbors. He turned to organics later. But now he and most of that generation of farmers are dead of varying forms of cancer... Unless something else got them first.

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:22 am

cflame1 wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:Don't have to tell me about groundwater pollution. I grew up on a farm. Dad used chemicals, as did all of the neighbors. He turned to organics later. But now he and most of that generation of farmers are dead of varying forms of cancer... Unless something else got them first.
Maybe they had a health lifestyle with lots of exercise. Heart disease is the biggest killer in the US. If you exercise and don't get heart disease, you're more likely to live long enough to die of cancer. Or working in the sun makes you more likely to get cancer. Or they all smoked a lot. Or maybe it was the farm chemicals. Maybe they listened to a lot of Country and Western music and that's the cause.

That's why you have to go on statistics, not anecdotal evidence. There's no evidence that organic food leads to a lower cancer rate.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Midnight Strangler

Post by Midnight Strangler » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:04 am

archangle wrote:There's no evidence that organic food leads to a lower cancer rate.
But it's organic, of course it prevents cancer.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:29 am

No, it's "organic", and much more profitable--small wonder why so much "organic" is intentionally mislabeled.
Our garden is chemical and pesticide-free, but we had to plant extra to allow for insect damage.
Who knew we would have so many carrots after three years of endless bolting?

sleepygrumpy

Post by sleepygrumpy » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:58 am

Yes, I just posted something here about the FDA process with CPAP. Its entitled "FDA Oversight of CPAP" or you can read it here viewtopic/t101400/FDA-Oversight-of-CPAP.html .

Similarly I found that the DeVillbiss machnes use a large swatch of neoprene under their machines to keep it from sliding. The thing is it stinks from off-gassing. Neoprene is what they use in diving and surfer wet suits. So I called a surf shop and they said the smell is strong, horrible and doesnt fade. Yet when I call DeVillbiss, they claim I am the first person to ever tell them that. Yeah right.

Give the FDA more power to regulate these machines. Check that link for info.

Muffy16

Post by Muffy16 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:45 pm

Black Shampoo - I am a female in my late 60's and just have been diagnosed with lung cancer (I have never smoked). Coincidentally, I began using my CPAP for mild sleep apnea about one and one-half years ago. The docs guess that the tumor has been growing for about a year. So, I thought I was doing the right thing by using a CPAP (and I clean it regularly per the instructions) but I am searching for scientific data on the link between the use of the machine and my lung cancer. So far, I can't find any scientific studies.

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:15 pm

And you're replying to a 4 yr old poster who's long gone...

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:42 am

Muffy16 wrote: (I have never smoked)
Have you ever been exposed to secondhand smoke? Did anyone ever smoke in your house? In your workplace?

Secondhand smoke causes lung cancer in adults who have never smoked. Nonsmokers who are exposed to secondhand smoke at home or at work increase their risk of developing lung cancer by 20–30%. Secondhand smoke causes more than 7,300 lung cancer deaths among U.S. nonsmokers each year.

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statis ... /index.htm

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:54 am

Julie wrote:And you're replying to a 4 yr old poster who's long gone...
Your point? We have conversations with people long gone all the time.

And how do you know the poster is a 4 year old child?

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:59 am

CapnLoki wrote:And how do you know the poster is a 4 year old child?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:54 pm

The kind of 4-year old who flies into a tantrum when someone disagrees with him?
No doubt the 4-year old who uses name-calling as his primary argument.
Sound familiar?

mcpascaln

Post by mcpascaln » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:13 pm

The worry of getting cancer may be way to far and unreasonable. Think about it. Since being born, have you not been brushing your teeth with a plastic brush? Cannot we say that direct contact might have exposed you to some kind of BPA to your body? Not sure but just asking.

Pascal