Respironics DreamWear Gel Nasal pillow mask review thread

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Holden4th

Re: Respironics DreamWear Gel Nasal pillow mask review thread

Post by Holden4th » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:56 am

Nasal pillow has arrived. I'll try it out tonight and see what happens. Wonder if I need to use some vaseline to prevent sores?

KenM

Post by KenM » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:42 am

Guest wrote:I don't really get the Dream-ware nasal pillow mask attraction.
The Resmed P10 is the perfect nasal pillow mask. Great air diffusion that the Dream-ware lacks. Dream-ware has an air vent in the pillow Housing and another one at the top of your head.
It blows on my pillow and makes noise, the one in the nasal pillow blows out on my pillow or my wife or whatever is in the way.
Why would anyone want all the silicone tubing of the dream-ware mask pushing on their face when you can have the less intrusive and simple headgear of the P10?
Hose is at top of the head making it MUCH easier to change sleeping positions.
No more getting the hose tangled up.
No real need for a hose management contraption to keep hose up and away.
Comfortable
can easily wear glasses

with the new Gel Pillows, can sleep in ANY position, even stomach, and not have leaks.

I have the Brevida and I like that mask too, except having to be careful with the hose while changing sleeping positions.
my GF prefers I wear the Dreamwear.

If you like the P10, keep it, more power to you. This thread is about the new Dreamwear Gel Pillows

Holden4th

Post by Holden4th » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:02 am

The first night went OK but I woke early which is possibly because of the pillows being new to me. My leak figures were down but it's only one night and they weren't too bad anyway.

DeeCPAP

Post by DeeCPAP » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:52 pm

Pugsy wrote:
EdNerd wrote:For those who already have the Dreamwear - do they sell just the pillows insert separate?? Or do you have to buy a whole new kit and caboodle?
For those who already have the original DreamWear...you can buy just the cushion insert with the gel nasal pillows. It attaches just like the original cushion attaches to the frame.
It fits...no need to buy a whole new frame, hose, headgear, etc.
You would of course need to have an idea as to what size you would want....the mask package fit pack contains all sizes.
I bought the whole package despite my trying the original because I ended up selling my original despite planning to keep it.
I sent it out on load and the person made me an offer for it that I couldn't pass up...and I figured that I could always get another one later.
I never got around to it so had to get the complete package with this one.
I think I'm going to try the nasal pillows if my Dreamwear continues to leak. Good headgear though. I can slip my fingers
through the top of the Dreamwear when I'm wearing it so I may need a small. I tested the cushions and the medium seems best (tried the small, medium-wide and large). Now I'm afraid to order the small headgear based solely on being able to slip a few fingers though the top. Comments?

Additional Comments: My headgear varies (STILL!)
Resmed S9 with humidifier and in need of the right mask.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:56 am

DeeCPAP wrote:I think I'm going to try the nasal pillows if my Dreamwear continues to leak. Good headgear though. I can slip my fingers
through the top of the Dreamwear when I'm wearing it so I may need a small. I tested the cushions and the medium seems best (tried the small, medium-wide and large). Now I'm afraid to order the small headgear based solely on being able to slip a few fingers though the top. Comments?
Are you talking about the small frame or the nasal pillow size?

I ended up getting a small frame for the gel pillows and it made a world of difference in how things fitted. Makes me kinda wish I had got it back when I was using the original DreamWear cushion. The small frame makes things so much more stable and less of the little annoying leaks that seemed to happen with the medium frame.

My only real complaint about the DreamWear gel pillows is I wish they offered an XSmall gel pillow size. The Small pillows are a wee bit too big to suit me.
I think they tend to run a little bit on the bigger side of sizing.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

DeeCPAP

Post by DeeCPAP » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:20 am

Pugsy wrote:
DeeCPAP wrote:I think I'm going to try the nasal pillows if my Dreamwear continues to leak. Good headgear though. I can slip my fingers
Are you talking about the small frame or the nasal pillow size?

I ended up getting a small frame for the gel pillows and it made a world of difference in how things fitted. Makes me kinda wish I had got it back when I was using the original DreamWear cushion. The small frame makes things so much more stable and less of the little annoying leaks that seemed to happen with the medium frame.

My only real complaint about the DreamWear gel pillows is I wish they offered an XSmall gel pillow size. The Small pillows are a wee bit too big to suit me.
I think they tend to run a little bit on the bigger side of sizing.
Thanks, Pugsy. I think I'll order the next frame in small. I have the medium now, woke up with a lot of air whooshing air though the medium cushion. I probably need the same setup you have. A small frame and small or extra small cushion. Too bad there aren't any sizing charts online. If I had time, I'd check now.

After I wrote the last paragraph, I found this phone number online

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:27 am

DeeCPAP wrote:Thanks, Pugsy. I think I'll order the next frame in small. I have the medium now, woke up with a lot of air whooshing air though the medium cushion. I probably need the same setup you have. A small frame and small or extra small cushion
I can still get 2 fingers under the frame even with the small and I also use the side fleece thingies. The silicone still gives a little bit anyway.
You never know until you try and if you find out the small is just way to small and too tight I imagine you could get most of your money back selling it to someone here on the forum who uses the small or even wants to just try the small.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

DeeCPAP

Post by DeeCPAP » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:55 am

Pugsy wrote:
DeeCPAP wrote:Thanks, Pugsy. I think I'll order the next frame in small. I have the medium now, woke up with a lot of air whooshing air though the medium cushion. I probably need the same setup you have. A small frame and small or extra small cushion
I can still get 2 fingers under the frame even with the small and I also use the side fleece thingies. The silicone still gives a little bit anyway. You never know until you try and if you find out the small is just way to small and too tight I imagine you could get most of your money back selling it to someone here on the forum who uses the small or even wants to just try the small.
Thanks. I'll stick with the medium frame. Also, I just put the data card in the S9 and found there were THIRTY SEVEN leaks last night, not too many obstructive or hypopneas, but with all those leaks, I'm sure it wasn't a good sleep. Now that I'm wearing a chin strap I know it's not from opening my mouth, but at least I didn't pull off the gear because I was suffocating like I did in the past (thanks to raising the minimum pressure!). Maybe the chin strap dislodges the frame or maybe if I try using the small cushion I have now, it'll be fixed, but the small cushion felt a bit too small when I tried it while awake. If that doesn't work, I'll get the gel pillows.

I'm writing this a few hours after I wrote the above.
My DME has them in stock. I'll have to pay out of pocket, but at least they'll fit me in person. Much safer that way. As for the size of the Dreamwear frame, a good fit means it's supposed to fit in between the ear and the eye according to the manufacturer I called earlier today.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:39 pm

DeeCPAP wrote:a good fit means it's supposed to fit in between the ear and the eye according to the manufacturer I called earlier today.
Yeah....well....the medium fit where it was supposed to fit and that's why I didn't try the small back when I was trying the original cushion...but the small fits a whole lot better and still in the same spot between the eye and ear.
Same spot on my face/head but the small frame definitely does a better job for me even though the medium didn't do a bad job at all.

Holden4th

Post by Holden4th » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:43 pm

I've had a week on the pillows and while they are nice and leaks have reduced I am finding that somehow they can block up and reduce airflow. I'm assuming that the tops of the pillow are collapsing in on each other. It could also be that I have a size that's too small and that this is the reason. I'm going to order the mediums and see what happens.

jsielke

Post by jsielke » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:23 am

Well, I have tried the Dreamware Nasal pillow mask, and am back to my trusty Nuance pro. I found the Dreamware uncomfortable, difficult to sleep on my side due to frame being part of mask, and laying on the side constricts the air flow. The pillows tend to slide around, and pinch, shutting off the flow. (I am using medium, which works for Nuance, P10 and Swift FX).

2kittymom

Post by 2kittymom » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:07 am

I am one of those people who is always searching for the "holy grail" in CPAP masks. I have been on CPAP for about 6 years now, and I do believe that the masks have come a long way in those years. When I first began, there were so many problems with pressure spots on my nose, and with leaks from nasal and full face masks. I found some favorites, but always was looking at the newest as they would come out. Often I would go by the reviews from people on this forum. In the first years, I found that pillows weren't comfortable for me. Then, the pillow masks became more and more comfortable, and I did try some of them. When the Dreamwear came out, I got one and I loved it. Next, a lot of people were raving about the Brevida, and I was bugging my supplier weekly about getting one. I finally did, and it was very comfortable, but I was back to having the hose coming down the front. I tried alternating between the two, but sure did love that freedom from the hose between my arms. Then, all of a sudden, there was the Dreamwear pillow mask. I'd also tried the Nuance Pro, and the gel pillows from that were quite comfortable too, but again, the hose came down the front. I immediately ordered the Dreamwear pillow mask from CPAP (didn't know about the phone-in discount!), and tried it out. Normally, I wear the medium size in the regular Dreamwear mask, but I discovered that the size small in the Dreamwear pillow mask seemed to fit better. My thoughts are that the new Dreamwear pillows is the best - I have zero leaks with it, and it stays seated pretty well whatwith my tossing and turning. Every so often I use the regular Dreamwear, to give my nostrils a break. That is still so very comfortable, but I do get leaks. My only complaint with the Dreamwear masks is the airflow out. I wish it were like the Brevida. Maybe next time they will fix it.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:29 am

2kittymom wrote:My only complaint with the Dreamwear masks is the airflow out. I wish it were like the Brevida. Maybe next time they will fix it.
Or diffuse it like the ResMed P10 venting.
Respironics sure missed the boat on the venting thing...they could leave the top vent alone and just diffuse the one next to the pillows.

I am planning to make a diffuser of my own out of old really cheap S9 filter (not the dense one but the very porous and washable one).

Plan is to but a small thin layer of the filter and attach it somehow to the vent holes without whatever I use to attach it blocking the holes.

If I don't kill myself...I will report back.

Oh...last night I was thinking about this vent situation and I put my fingers over the vent hole near the pillows and my other hand on top of the mask where the other vent is...I wanted to see if I blocked one vent if the air increased in the other vent...and it appeared to...not hugely but it did get stronger at the top when I blocked off the nose area vent.
For this reason I don't really have any concerns about potentially harming myself...it's not like I am going to tape the holes shut. I just want to diffuse the air a bit.

Been busy with home stuff lately but will try to take the time to go dig out a one of those really cheaply made filters and see what I can come up with.
For those of you that don't know what I am talking about.
Some of the after market S9 filters (not the hypoallergenic ones) are extremely porous and can be washed often without falling apart.
The one on the right...very porous.

SusanWink

Post by SusanWink » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:36 pm

I’ve read all the comments on this thread but I’m wondering if anybody has comments about the effectiveness of nasal pillows vs dreamwear nasal. I’m a newbie and my first mask is the dreamwear nasal. My DME supplier was kind of pushing the nasal pillows, but the other looked more comfortable to me. I’m not having a problem with leaks, but my AHI is sometimes close to 5. I did a sleep study with CPAP and it was 2 and the doc said he’d prefer to see it lower, but was ok with 2. My question is whether the nasal pillows might do a better job of directing the pressure to the right place. Can anybody help?

Thank you so much!

Susan

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:01 pm

SusanWink wrote: My question is whether the nasal pillows might do a better job of directing the pressure to the right place. Can anybody help?
I have actually have used both versions of the DreamWear mask...the under the nose cushion and the gel pillows. Both for about a month or so each.
I preferred the pillows just because I am a long time pillow user but in terms of AHI results with the 2 models...I didn't have any appreciable difference that I could see.
So for me one wasn't necessarily doing anything any different in terms of AHI numbers than the other.
SusanWink wrote:my AHI is sometimes close to 5.
How about you use available software and see exactly what is going on with that AHI?
https://sleep.tnet.com/equipment

There are several possible reasons for the higher numbers now and let's see if we can figure out for sure what is going on and then decide best road to take to resolve any issues you might be having.
How new are you to therapy?
Are you sleeping soundly or is your sleep fragmented by a lot of wake ups?
Let's see what that AHI is composed of to see if it's a pressure thing or something else. You need to use the software to see what that AHI of 5 is made up of.