Do mask cushions wear out on a month or so?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Cowboyup

Do mask cushions wear out on a month or so?

Post by Cowboyup » Thu May 18, 2017 5:27 pm

Wondering about how long the Amara view cushions last? Mine seems to me particularly thin and flexible after only a month or so. I noticed it when wearing lately. I was speaking with my cpap coach about leaks that I noticed on Sleepyhead. And they indicated that I should try a new cushion.

Thank you for your feedback.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Do mask cushions wear out on a month or so?

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu May 18, 2017 5:37 pm

Medicare (and many insurance plans) allow generous replacement intervals for these parts.
Many people have managed to extend the useful life by tender care and often mask liners--sometimes quite a long time..
My P10 pillows are good for 3 weeks--WITHOUT cleaning.
I am certain that washing would allow me to use them longer, but I choose to help support my DME.

Post by Guest » Thu May 18, 2017 5:41 pm

A lot depends on how it is handled and/or cleaned and what it is cleaned with. Most here feel that wears things out prematurely and often causes more problems esp. if it has to be disassembled. Sometimes things are not put back together correctly and that can also lead to leaks.

Try just wiping the surface off or not at all. Some cleaners are pretty harsh. I don't clean often but when I do I prefer to use distilled water to wash and rinse as tap or esp well water can leave minerals behind that you don't see.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu May 18, 2017 5:47 pm

If you check with your INSURANCE, not your provider, you will know when you can get replacement cushions.
Do get a spare at the earliest opportunity. If you have only one, you are SOL if it goes sideways.
It may be doing that already, based on your observation.
Floppiness may be helped by gentle cleaning, but planned obsolescence is common in manufacture of things this costly.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Thu May 18, 2017 7:00 pm

I wash the portion that forms the seal on my face every morning with soap and water (and then rinse well). This may help prolong the life of these parts. Also, wash your face immediately before putting on the mask!

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Thu May 18, 2017 7:32 pm

When I was using the Amara View I would get 3 to 4 months use before it would get to the point I could not get a good seal every night. I am currently using the ResMed F20 and have almost two months on it. My wife has almost three months on her F20 cushion.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu May 18, 2017 8:11 pm

Last edited by Julie on Thu May 18, 2017 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu May 18, 2017 9:01 pm

The end user has a lot to do with how long things last. I know many out there could break a bowling ball just carrying it in the bag. Jim

Mine don't, but I have lots of spares, Murphy will catch me sleeping, soundly!
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

budsi

Post by budsi » Sat May 20, 2017 1:26 pm

This is my 10th night with a new Amara View mask. I've been very happy w seal and sleep. I washed it this morning. Tonight there is a sizzling leak I can't get rid of. I think washing it stretches parts of the cushion and that changes the seal. What do you think?
Also, has Medicare ever taken your c-pap machine away because their standards weren't met. I'm compliant but the noisy leaks make me take it off. The faulty mask interferes with the requirement of using the mask for at least 4hours a night

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat May 20, 2017 1:29 pm

Just do it.
We do.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Sat May 20, 2017 6:32 pm

budsi wrote:This is my 10th night with a new Amara View mask. I've been very happy w seal and sleep. I washed it this morning. Tonight there is a sizzling leak I can't get rid of. I think washing it stretches parts of the cushion and that changes the seal. What do you think?
Also, has Medicare ever taken your c-pap machine away because their standards weren't met. I'm compliant but the noisy leaks make me take it off. The faulty mask interferes with the requirement of using the mask for at least 4hours a night
I have washed Amara View cushions many times and have never had a problem after washing them. Sometimes the straps need to borrow adjusted after washing the mask. Have you considered using a mask liner? When I used the Am are View regularly, I used a mask liner with it.

Compliance for Medicare is 4 hours of usage for 70% of the nights in a 30 day period. You must use the mask for at least 4 hours a night for 21 out of 30 days. This compliance requirement must be met within the first 90 days.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat May 20, 2017 8:05 pm

If you think compliance requirement that must be met within the first 90 days, have been set to help your health, they are the minium needed to keep your machine being provided to you.

If you don't use it correctly every minute you sleep or plan to, you are only cheating yourself and your life. Jim Reap what you Sow!
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

cands

Post by cands » Sat May 20, 2017 10:56 pm

budsi wrote:This is my 10th night with a new Amara View mask. I've been very happy w seal and sleep. I washed it this morning. Tonight there is a sizzling leak I can't get rid of. I think washing it stretches parts of the cushion and that changes the seal. What do you think?
I have been using the same Amara View cushion now for 8 months. I wash it every day. Still going strong.

Cowboyup

Post by Cowboyup » Sat May 20, 2017 11:51 pm

I got new a new cushion and it helps a bunch so far, we shall see tho

Cowboyup

Post by Cowboyup » Sun May 21, 2017 8:11 am

Thanks everyone for your input.