ResMed Air Mini - Initial Impressions

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
levman

Re: ResMed Air Mini - Initial Impressions

Post by levman » Fri May 19, 2017 12:31 pm

STW wrote:Question about the mask/tube noise: Since the report from several is that the machine itself is fairly quiet, is it the P10 mask that is the cause of the noise, or is it the humidifying filter that inserts in between hose and mask? At home I already use the P10 mask (the one that comes with the AirMini) and it's the only mask I've tried so I wouldn't know if it's noisy. It doesn't seem so to me so I suppose it may be the filter so near the face that causes the noise(?). Those who have tried the AirMini, how is it if you connect mask to hose without filter? Does it reduce the noise?
I can't speak to the AirMini specifically - but if you read through past posts on the Transcend (which I use) and the Z1, masks that are generally quiet on larger machines become noisier on the travel machines, and it seems to vary by mask - some masks make more noise on the travel machines than others. It seems to be some dynamic between the travel machine, hose and mask.

I use an inline HME filter with my AirFit P10 nasal pillows on my Transcend, and it seems to reduce the noise a little bit. Could be my imagination though, as the difference is not great.

I'd be curious to hear whether removing the filter on the AirMini's P10 mask makes any difference.

QueSera

Post by QueSera » Fri May 19, 2017 3:38 pm

Thanks to those who have tried it and reported to us.

I've seen the pictures, and the tiny footprint of the hard case with the AirMini inside. What I haven't seen anywhere is what the hose looks like and how small it can be packed up. I assume the hard case doesn't include room for the power cord, the hose, and the mask. Can anyone provide a picture of the whole setup, and how you would pack it for travel? BTW, the picture that included a nightlight next to the AirMini gave an excellent sense of scale.

Thanks!
It's always something. Roseanne RoseannaDanna
I was a victim of a series of circumstances, as are we all. Malachi Constant

goldbergsfg

Post by goldbergsfg » Fri May 19, 2017 3:47 pm

southerndoc wrote:I didn't sleep with it, so I wasn't lying down when I was breathing through the mask. Not sure if the Darth Vader type breathing occurs with lying down. I'll get a chance to use it tomorrow night when I travel.

The mask connector has a proprietary connector (see picture). The hose seems a different configuration than other models, so I think you have to have a specific hose to hook it up to the Air Mini. That specific hose has the spot for the humidifier. The top of the humidifier "chamber" is permanently attached to the mask. In other words, the specific mask is required because it's the top of the humidifier chamber, which is built into the hose. Without the top of the humidifier chamber, you cannot hook up a mask (unless you somehow engineer something).

If you can find a mask that you can sleep with that's compatible with the Air Mini, I don't foresee changing it often. I usually change masks every 1-2 months depending on wear. That's more frequently than most people. I don't see myself changing the travel mask more than once per year as I won't be using it daily. Perhaps every 60-90 nights?

Regarding the noise, it may be slightly louder than the AirSense 10 but not by much. It was difficult for me to judge them as I didn't have them side by side. Maybe I can convince my wife (a RSPGT) to help me with a study by wearing a mask for my AirSense 10 and comparing. I use the P10 normally, and the air coming out of it is almost as loud as the air coming out of the Air Mini.
The machine itself is as close to SILENT as you can get. However, I'm using the AirfitP10 for Airmini and the is a loud Darth Vader noise that gets louder as you inhale and softer upon exhale. <at least without the Humidx which I'm saving for my vacation in 2 weeks.> This noise is not nearly as bad as the squealing I got from my Z1-Auto which I cannot use since it wakens both me and my wife.

I'll update this forum after my vacation.

judyo

Post by judyo » Fri May 19, 2017 6:17 pm

Hi
first apologies for not knowing the exact technical terms - yes the machine noise is OK, its a combination of both the mask and the tubing with the built in outlet vent and heat moisture exchange unit - though I suspect the primary problem is latter two - as I had never used the N20 before I tried it with my regular machine (which is a F&P sleepstyle 600 and there were no problems with noise (or do you call it Darth Vader noises??) at all - I suppose I have been spoilt as this machine is super quiet - I have been using CPAPs for well over 10 years now) - I am suprised that the noise factor was not picked up by those undertaking the trial - because if they didn't notice it then their regular machines must be noisy and it makes me wonder how they cope every day. I also asked my husband to give his opinion (he does not use CPAP) - he couldn't hear any noise when I used the F&P machine, however, it was very loud and disruptive for his sleep with the airmini. Anyhow I hope this helps - I am really disappointed the airmini didn't work for me. I just wanted to share my experience.

Happy Dude

Post by Happy Dude » Fri May 19, 2017 7:51 pm

My experience with the airmini is exactly as Judyo writes. Except I am a brand new user of these things and did a trial .

I liken the sound made by the humidifier when inhaling to being very near the fan end of a rowing machine. Exhaling is pretty quiet. I can also feel air on my chin at all times. The humidifier unit has vents and is located "mid-hose" if you will. I do not notice any noise with the P10 mask unless it pops out of my nose. All the noise emanates from the humidifier.

I didn't trial the mini before purchasing as I was told that it (the whole thing) can be returned within 30 days for a full refund. I have an appointment on Monday with the clinic to sort it out. I'll be returning it it this is normal and purchasing a S10.

levman

Post by levman » Fri May 19, 2017 8:00 pm

Well, darn. Not the reviews I was hoping for. But not surprising.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri May 19, 2017 10:29 pm

Happy Dude wrote:
Goofproof wrote: I'll bet if you took a hacksaw and cut that S9 down to the same size, it would make noise then, if it would run at all. It's not to be a daily XPAP, it's a Travel XPAP. Although the price might suggest it, but fools and their money! Jim
Actually Jim I specifically asked if it was for everyday use and was told yes. Maybe the bloke who sold it to me knows less than you or maybe you're full of it. But if you'd bother to read my post instead of jumping at any opportunity to belittle someone, I said that the main noise was from the humidifier which is part of the hose. I also said that the unit itself does emit some noise.

I'll bet he did tell you that, that's how he makes his cut. Repost when you get 3,000 hours on it. I'll be waiting as will the guy who sold it to you.

Better Still make it to 16,000 hours as my "full Sized Tank has on it!
Jim

If we're discussing cost, and we weren't, it was significantly cheaper than a S10 (I'm in Oz). But I was contributing to a thread discussing first impressions. You clearly don't have anything constructive to add, or better to do, so I'll just leave my impressions there then.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

southerndoc

Post by southerndoc » Sat May 20, 2017 12:36 am

QueSera wrote:I've seen the pictures, and the tiny footprint of the hard case with the AirMini inside. What I haven't seen anywhere is what the hose looks like and how small it can be packed up. I assume the hard case doesn't include room for the power cord, the hose, and the mask. Can anyone provide a picture of the whole setup, and how you would pack it for travel? BTW, the picture that included a nightlight next to the AirMini gave an excellent sense of scale.
It's pretty small. Entire case is about the size of my 12" MacBook (thicker of course). See attached photos.

Unfortunately, my trip got canceled so I didn't get a chance to try it out. May end up using it instead of my AirSense 10 tomorrow night just to try it (doubt I'll use it tonight).

Fairly small. I put extra filters in the front compartment. There are pen holders and a spot where you can put your phone.
The case has a carry strap and handle. The back of the case has a slide through pouch where you can slip it onto the handle of a rolling suitcase.

There is an elastic holder for the hose. The power cord/adapter and P10 mask fit together. Air Mini's hard case is in the middle.

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Sat May 20, 2017 6:15 am

What vendor sells the Airmini with a 30 day return policy? Does http://www.cpap.com do this? I thought their website says you can switch out only the mask in 30 days.
Southendoc- thanks for the pictures. and into.

QueSera

Post by QueSera » Sat May 20, 2017 7:42 am

Thanks, Southerndoc. I carry my Transcend in an insulated lunch bag. Looks comparable in size.
It's always something. Roseanne RoseannaDanna
I was a victim of a series of circumstances, as are we all. Malachi Constant

southerndoc

Post by southerndoc » Sat May 20, 2017 7:47 am

I really like the loop feature on the back of the case. When I carried my old S9 around, I couldn't attach it to the handle of my rolling suitcase. With this I can.

I usually sleep with pink/white noise in the background or a loud fan. I haven't slept with the Air Mini yet, but when I tried it out it didn't seem loud to me at all. Others have posted otherwise.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat May 20, 2017 11:28 am

southerndoc wrote:I really like the loop feature on the back of the case. When I carried my old S9 around, I couldn't attach it to the handle of my rolling suitcase.
every s9 case I have, has a luggage loop on the back. maybe you got a defective one.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Ozray67

Post by Ozray67 » Sun May 21, 2017 2:08 am

Hi everyone,
I picked up an AirMini with the compatible AirFit N20 nasal mask 2 days ago. I was excited to get the AirMini as I have been using an old (ancient) Resmed S6 "lightweight" with a Swift FX Nano nasal mask for the last few years. The S6 was my first CPAP machine that I bought 17 years ago. I had a F&P ICON for about 8 years but that machine died from a bad power source and I went back to the S6. Thus I was looking to upgrade to a new machine that was good to travel with as I am a sales rep and travel regularly.

The AirMini was all I expected it to be-silent, small, super lightweight (esp compared to my S6 Lightweight), efficient and the app is great with daily scoring of my sleep (got 95/100 and 87/100 for the last 2 night's sleep). By the way - to change your pressure settings etc on the Clinical mode, you can access that menu by going to the bluetooth icon on the app, then press and hold down the Resmed and Airmini icons for 3 seconds. This section should only be accessed by a clinician or if you are confident to changing your settings. Information was obtained from the Resmed website. Downside on the app is that you cannot down download your stats yet. This may change on future updates.

The AirMini is also very easy to use with AutoStart and Auto Stop, Auto Set (APAP) and other Resmed features. I am using this machine as my daily and travel machine. The built in waterless humidifier works well too although you do not need to use it and it will not work with the full mask AirFit F20 yet.

Some of the drawback are:
Proprietary masks and hoses - at this stage you can only use the Resmed AirFit P10 Nasal Pillow, N20 Nasal Mask and F20 Full Face mask. The feature that stops other masks working is the Humidification/Venting chamber on the hose that supposedly allows the AirMini to be so small. The masks above all need a special hose attachment that attaches to the chamber.
The HumidX humidifier capsules only last for 30 days from date of opening, even if you only use it once. This is supposedly for sanitary purposes even if it still looks good. No it will not explode or dissolve like in Mission Impossible, but Resmed wants us to keep on buying a new one every month. $$$ In Australia it will cost $10 each. It will probably be much cheaper in the US.
Noise from the Venting chamber - Because the AirMini itself is so quiet, I immediately noticed the breathing/venting/Darth Vader noise coming from the Humidification/Venting Chamber. I don't know why it is louder than my old Swift FX Nano mask and I don't think there is any difference whether you use the HumidX or not. Furthermore, the location about 2.5 inches below the mask makes it quite audible at night when all is quiet. If Resmed had located it further away down the tube (probably can't do that or the humidifier won't work), or removed it completely it would be better. During the daytime, on a plane or where there is lots to ambient/white noise, the sound is quite reasonable. I am going to persist with it for a while to see if I can get used to it. My wife has noticed the noise buy it is not a whine, more of loud breathing that increases and decreases as you breathe in and out. I hope that Resmed will work on it and decrease the noise. It enough feedback is given, hopefully they will address the issue soon.

Hope this helps and answers some of the questions out there.

From Sydney, Australia

southerndoc

Post by southerndoc » Sun May 21, 2017 2:30 am

Ozray67, thanks for posting how to access the clinician menu. I missed this on their website. I had to delete the app the reinstall it just to enter clinician mode prior to accepting the terms.

Ozray67

Post by Ozray67 » Sun May 21, 2017 5:34 am

No problems mate. It took me a while with a lot of digging to find out how to access the clinician menu. It is semi hidden. I accessed mine and lowered my pressure range as well as changed the ramp up time. Quite a few options to make your sleep more comfortable.
Cheers,