Pros and cons of using or not using the humidifier feature

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SleepyBobR

Re: Pros and cons of using or not using the humidifier feature

Post by SleepyBobR » Thu May 18, 2017 7:10 pm

I used my S8 Elite for several years without the humidifier after finding that humidification causes congestion at higher levels with no discernible benefits. Also, the humidifier literally doubles the size of the S8 so it's a bother. When I got my new AutoSet I tried using the humidifier at first but after a couple of months I'm back to running it dry with the humidifier turned off as it wasn't doing anything for me. I realize some people swear by humidification but I don't get it. Why does passing normal room air through a CPAP machine create a need for additional humidity that would otherwise not be required?

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Thu May 18, 2017 8:28 pm

Another option to a humidifier is to get the panel to close it off and use a moisture exchange unit. Normally used with something like the Z-1, it works with any xpap. I have no personal experience with it. It needs to be replaced after 7 days, according to the instructions.

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/heat-m ... -unit.html

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu May 18, 2017 9:32 pm

I have NEVER gone without humidity.
On the rare occasion that I forget to top off my tank, the hot, dry stank wakes me up quickly.
Nasty smell, I guarantee!

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu May 18, 2017 11:12 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:I have NEVER gone without humidity.
well, after all, you're a frog, not a toad...

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

QueSera

Post by QueSera » Fri May 19, 2017 3:48 pm

Of all odd things, what bothers me most about using CPAP is filling the water tank every day. I know this is ridiculous; it's just annoying for me. When I travel, I use a Transcend with a Heat Moisture Exchange Unit, which someone linked to earlier in this thread. I tried it at home first, and so far, so good. So ...

I'm going to try it tonight with my AirSense 10. I took out the tank and replaced it with the piece that closes off the opening, which I already had. I took the HME off the Transcend, and connected it between the hose and the mask.

I may wake up with a raspy shriek at midnight and get up to fill the tank and pop it in, I don't know. I'll report back for anyone who's curious.
It's always something. Roseanne RoseannaDanna
I was a victim of a series of circumstances, as are we all. Malachi Constant

CowFish

Post by CowFish » Sat May 20, 2017 6:14 am

QueSera wrote:Of all odd things, what bothers me most about using CPAP is filling the water tank every day. I know this is ridiculous; it's just annoying for me.
It is annoying for me also.
QueSera wrote:I'll report back for anyone who's curious.
Please let us know. I might try using CPAP without a humidifier at all.

Marigail

Post by Marigail » Sat May 20, 2017 9:14 am

I always use my humidifier. I have been hospitalized many times and on oxygen and make them put the bubbler on. I use a BiPap and my Pressure is high, when not on an auto it was 18/12. Now on an auto it has gone up to 23 as shown by sleepyhead. I use nasal pillows usually and that's a lot of air blowing, when nose gets sore I switch to nasal mask. but if you really want to go without the humidifier try using Ayr nasal gel. Put on q-tip and rub it around inside of nostrils. I use both sides of q-tips, one for each side. This helps keep moisture in your nostrils and helps blow some moisturized air up into your sinuses. Walgreen's used to have a Walgreen's brand but haven't found that in about a year. it says on box it was made for CPAP users. I was introduced to it by my pulmonologist who is also my sleep doctor. But I won't go without my humidifier if I can help it. The whole issue of compliance comes down to comfort. If your mask isn't right you aren't going to wear it. If you don't like the sound you won't use it. So you have to figure out where your comfort level is that will make using it best for you. What works for me, may not work for you, and vise versa. There is no right or wrong except it using or not using.