Gas and Bloating and Burps, Oh My!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Gas and Bloating and Burps, Oh My!

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu May 18, 2017 3:46 pm

Good point, Granny!
I'm thinking that the low pressure and only 3 weeks use might indicate some anxiety,
especially while asleep, causing Jane to gasp, then swallow air.
If this is the case, we can be hopeful that the situation will improve with time.
In the meanwhile, getting up, having a few sips of water, and moving around should reduce discomfort.
Welcome, and here's to your health, Jane.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu May 18, 2017 3:56 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:I'm thinking that the low pressure and only 3 weeks use might indicate some anxiety,
Yes, I also thought that. Remember how many newbies come here concentrating and trying to control their breathing. This causes unnatural breathing and could contribute to aerophagia.

LifeAltered

Post by LifeAltered » Thu May 18, 2017 4:44 pm

Well I'm 6 weeks in and experiencing the same issues. I have had 2 different nasal masks but mouth breathing caused issues. The chin strap didn't resolve it. Now I have a Quattro Air full face mask and the daily report is saying there are no leaks but I'm waking up throughout the night and experiencing awful gas and bloating. During the night I can hear what I think are leaks but it's a very noisy mask compared to the other two. The daily reports are also showing that my hypoxia episodes are increasing even though my REM sleep has decreased.
The most successful was with the nose mask and then taping my mouth closed. But the respiratory tech just about flipped when he heard that and took the nasal mask away. This is in Manitoba and everything is covered on Manitoba Health so I need to be compliant with the tech.
What to do now?

Jennreads

Post by Jennreads » Thu May 18, 2017 5:13 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about your air troubles. I had the same thing every time I used the machine. The morning after my sleep study my stomach was so full of air I could hardly walk. The nurse reported it to my doctor, who said she had never heard of that happening before. (Imagine my eyes rolling here and yes, I have changed doctors.) I began researching aerophagia after the second night I brought my machine home, looking at every article I could find, trying methods one by one. I was miserable BUT motivated to find a way to make CPAP therapy work for me. After a few weeks, and when I was about to give up, I found an article from a doctor who said that keeping the neck and airway straight can sometimes relieve the problem. That night I removed my pillow and lay flat on the bed on my back. No air into my stomach at all! It was easy to learn to sleep that way all the time..completely flat and I don't move my head even to the side. The air rushing in to my stomach wakes me up if I shift in my sleep. My new doctor says it has everything to do with my anatomy. I just know it works. You might try this. If it doesn't work, please keep trying like I did. It is worth it to finally get quality sleep.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu May 18, 2017 6:06 pm

Jennreads wrote: I found an article from a doctor who said that keeping the neck and airway straight can sometimes relieve the problem.
Yes, and for people who are not able to lie as still in bed as you, see ---->

2. As the chin of a CPAP user nears the chest, air has a greater change of entering the digestive tract. Where possible, keep chin up in relation to torso. Wearing a firm foam cervical collar will prevent the jaw from dropping.

Full wiki on aerophagia - wiki/index.php/Aerophagia

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu May 18, 2017 6:41 pm

I have read that sleeping on the left side helps.
Now, it doesn't really matter.
Apparently, my gullet has finally learned how to behave.

Jennreads

Post by Jennreads » Thu May 18, 2017 6:54 pm

Yes, Chicagogranny, that is good advice too. In addition to lying completely still I wear a chin strap to keep my chin from dropping and my mouth from drying out. Even with the chin strap if I tilt my head or move it from side to side, I take air in my gut. I bought a cervical collar after reading exactly the post you quoted, but was disappointed that the bulk of the strap in back caused air to go the wrong way. A bonus to my sleeping posture is that the neck and back pain I've had for years has disappeared. My encouragement to anyone who suffers aerophagia is to keep trying different things till one works.

JaneAsimov

Post by JaneAsimov » Fri May 19, 2017 6:33 am

Soothest Sleep wrote:
JaneAsimov wrote:
Hi LSAT!

What is a "Autoset model"?
Butting in to respond (sorry LSAT!): "Autoset" is a term used for Resmed machines. I think LSAT means to refer to Respironics' Dreamstation AutoCPAP model; it is a full-data model that can accommodate fluctuating pressure needs with both a minimum and a maximum setting (whereas the basic CPAP model is set at one therapeutic pressure only). You'll find more information in the clinician's manual.

Welcome aboard!
Jean
Thanks Jean! Nice to meet you. Mine is a basic model : (

Jane

Diagnosed mild with AHI of 7, and AHI of 26 during REM

Chronic migraine, fatigue, and headaches, hoping to resolve these problems or get better with sleep apnea treatment.

JaneAsimov

Post by JaneAsimov » Fri May 19, 2017 6:35 am

Pugsy wrote:viewtopic.php?f=1&t=115408&st=0&sk=t&sd ... k&start=30

Okay...in this thread look for this post
by OkyDoky on Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:06 pm
The DreamStation Cpap Data Sheet states it has Basic AHI and Leak reporting. So No graphs or AHI breakdown. There is a setting to select whether or not the Apnea/Hypopnea index is displayed on the Patient Info screen. http://incenter.medical.philips.com/doc ... 3d11572476
This is where I learned about the data on the half assed brick...the proof was in the document but unfortunately that link that OkyDoky provided doesn't work for me right now. I don't have time to go looking for it....sorry.

At least I know I didn't dream it all up. I did see the proof at one time.
I tried increasing the humidity for a nap yesterday and of course that did jack, so, using the reference website you gave me, I hacked into it and changed my pressure setting from an 8 to a 7. THAT made a difference. No more burping, but I don't know if 7 is still a therapeutic level for me. Even in the provider menu, I couldn't find an AHI report. Half-assed brick.....I just called my doctor's office inquiring about a Bi-Pap or APAP

Jane

Chronic migraine, fatigue, and headaches, hoping to resolve these problems or get better with sleep apnea treatment.

JaneAsimov

Post by JaneAsimov » Fri May 19, 2017 6:41 am

chunkyfrog wrote:Good point, Granny!
I'm thinking that the low pressure and only 3 weeks use might indicate some anxiety,
If this is the case, we can be hopeful that the situation will improve with time.
In the meanwhile, getting up, having a few sips of water, and moving around should reduce discomfort.
Welcome, and here's to your health, Jane.
I don't think it's anxiety. The first couple of weeks I was focusing on my breathing, and feeling a little claustrophobic, but about a week ago, it all just went away. I've acclimated to the mask and the air. I don't even use the ramp feature anymore because I don't need to, the high air pressure doesn't bother me anymore. I did lower my setting to a 7 last night and that got rid of the aerophagia, but I don't know how well it controlled my apneas because my machine doesn't measure them. I am going to get a different CPAP that measures them.

Jane

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri May 19, 2017 6:42 am

We don't even know for sure that 8 was optimally therapeutic.
Glad that 7 helped a lot. At least you know your limits in terms of where the aerophagia line is.
Do get with your doctor about all this and getting a machine that will allow you to monitor effectiveness and that means no brick and no half assed brick either.

Forum member RobySue found relief using bilevel and her pressure RX was around what yours seems to be.

I pretty much knew humidity wouldn't help. You have to use less pressure as you found out.
It's possible that using 7 didn't compromise things too much....we just don't know without the data from a full data machine.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

JaneAsimov

Post by JaneAsimov » Fri May 19, 2017 6:46 am

LifeAltered wrote:Well I'm 6 weeks in and experiencing the same issues. I have had 2 different nasal masks but mouth breathing caused issues. The chin strap didn't resolve it. Now I have a Quattro Air full face mask and the daily report is saying there are no leaks but I'm waking up throughout the night and experiencing awful gas and bloating. During the night I can hear what I think are leaks but it's a very noisy mask compared to the other two. The daily reports are also showing that my hypoxia episodes are increasing even though my REM sleep has decreased.
The most successful was with the nose mask and then taping my mouth closed. But the respiratory tech just about flipped when he heard that and took the nasal mask away. This is in Manitoba and everything is covered on Manitoba Health so I need to be compliant with the tech.
What to do now?
Many people tape there mouths shut, that was an unfortunate reaction you received from your RT. You're using the same full face mask that I am. Wish I could give you advice but I'm in the same boat! I lowered my pressure from an 8 to a 7 and that worked last night, but I don't know if it was as effective for my apnic episodes.

Jane

JaneAsimov

Post by JaneAsimov » Fri May 19, 2017 6:48 am

Jennreads wrote:I'm so sorry to hear about your air troubles. I had the same thing every time I used the machine. The morning after my sleep study my stomach was so full of air I could hardly walk. The nurse reported it to my doctor, who said she had never heard of that happening before. (Imagine my eyes rolling here and yes, I have changed doctors.) I began researching aerophagia after the second night I brought my machine home, looking at every article I could find, trying methods one by one. I was miserable BUT motivated to find a way to make CPAP therapy work for me. After a few weeks, and when I was about to give up, I found an article from a doctor who said that keeping the neck and airway straight can sometimes relieve the problem. That night I removed my pillow and lay flat on the bed on my back. No air into my stomach at all! It was easy to learn to sleep that way all the time..completely flat and I don't move my head even to the side. The air rushing in to my stomach wakes me up if I shift in my sleep. My new doctor says it has everything to do with my anatomy. I just know it works. You might try this. If it doesn't work, please keep trying like I did. It is worth it to finally get quality sleep.
That's funny, because that's the opposite advice of everything I've read to try, which is to prop your head up at a 45 degree angle to sleep. I slept with my head propped at a 45 degree angle a couple of nights ago though and it did nothing.

I could try that, no pillow at all, though I don't know if I'll sleep. I'll let you know how it goes! I'm glad you found a solution.

Jane

JaneAsimov

Post by JaneAsimov » Fri May 19, 2017 6:50 am

chunkyfrog wrote:I have read that sleeping on the left side helps.
Now, it doesn't really matter.
Apparently, my gullet has finally learned how to behave.
It didn't work for, though I wish it did, because that's my favorite side to lay on! I hope my gullet starts acting like yours soon or this half assed brick is getting thrown into the lake.

Jane

BikeisDusty

Post by BikeisDusty » Fri May 19, 2017 8:24 am

I have similar issues to you. What has helped me is a bigger pillow to angle my head up, taking a antacid pill before bed (I use Zantac) and a auto setting of 7 to 11. I still swallow air, but this method makes it more tolerable.

On a side note, if you are still having fatigue and headaches, maybe it is not a sleep issue, but something like Lyme. I suggest a test for it if you continue to have these symptoms.

Bill