ResMed Air Mini - Initial Impressions

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Cardsfan

Re: ResMed Air Mini - Initial Impressions

Post by Cardsfan » Thu May 18, 2017 7:47 am

The warranty on cpap.com says the air mini MASK kit can be exchanged for a diff. mask for the mini within 30 days. I don't think it applies to the machine.

Last edited by Cardsfan on Thu May 18, 2017 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hannibal 2

Post by Hannibal 2 » Thu May 18, 2017 8:23 am

levman wrote:
Hannibal 2 wrote: He said it's as quiet as his AirSense.
I know what he said. I am asking for more specifics......
Apologies, I thought you may have read the OP quickly and not noticed (as we do sometimes), just trying to be helpful.

Where have you been? It's alright we know where you've been!"
(You've been in the pipeline...)

TangledHose

Post by TangledHose » Thu May 18, 2017 11:00 am

Simple, effective solution to keep from pulling the unit off the nightstand when you roll over, you can get these Velcro hose alligator clips from our sponsor, they work great, don't take up any packing space. I use them with Z1 and have never had a problem pulling machine off the table.....

Link to Sleepyhead:
http://sleepfiles.com/SH2/

levman

Post by levman » Thu May 18, 2017 11:58 am

TangledHose wrote:Simple, effective solution to keep from pulling the unit off the nightstand when you roll over, you can get these Velcro hose alligator clips from our sponsor, they work great, don't take up any packing space. I use them with Z1 and have never had a problem pulling machine off the table.....
Damn, why didn't I think of clipping it to the bedsheet? Never even crossed my mind, I clip mine to the lampshade, but your solution seems much smarter.

levman

Post by levman » Thu May 18, 2017 12:01 pm

Hannibal 2 wrote: Apologies, I thought you may have read the OP quickly and not noticed (as we do sometimes), just trying to be helpful.
No worries - particularly as I was a little gruff with my response - it's too easy to misunderstand intentions on chat boards!

Gerald?

Post by Gerald? » Thu May 18, 2017 3:22 pm

southerndoc wrote: Looks like the only data is with ResMed's app (the summary information available for the past week). There doesn't appear to be a way to download data. Would like to sync it with SleepyHead to see if it functions just as well as my AirSense 10.
Mmmm makes it an even more expensive option if you have to get access to Airview to see any decent data. Anyone know if non-clinicians can actually get access to Airview (or otherwise get decent data from the cloud service)?

I've got a bad feeling Resmed might get rid of the SD card on v11 machines so all data has to be obtained through Resmed subscription service, Extra monthly income and it gets to control who sees what.

southerndoc

Post by southerndoc » Thu May 18, 2017 8:40 pm

Gerald? wrote:
southerndoc wrote: Looks like the only data is with ResMed's app (the summary information available for the past week). There doesn't appear to be a way to download data. Would like to sync it with SleepyHead to see if it functions just as well as my AirSense 10.
Mmmm makes it an even more expensive option if you have to get access to Airview to see any decent data. Anyone know if non-clinicians can actually get access to Airview (or otherwise get decent data from the cloud service)?

I've got a bad feeling Resmed might get rid of the SD card on v11 machines so all data has to be obtained through Resmed subscription service, Extra monthly income and it gets to control who sees what.
You can't access any data from the Air Mini. It connects via Bluetooth to your phone. I don't think there is any cellular connection.

I'm a physician and still haven't been able to set up access to AirView properly. Perhaps I should call them. I purchased a Toshiba FlashAir and download my data via wifi to import into Sleepyhead. AirView would be nice, but not sure it's the best option.

If ResMed makes the 11 series wireless only, they really need to consider using WiFi more than cellular. It would be a lot cheaper.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu May 18, 2017 9:00 pm

southerndoc wrote:If ResMed makes the 11 series wireless only, they really need to consider using WiFi more than cellular. It would be a lot cheaper.
it'd also be a security nightmare.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Happy Dude

Post by Happy Dude » Thu May 18, 2017 10:33 pm

I used the new mini for the first time last night.

There's too much air noise coming out of the vent which is exacerbated during breathing in mostly. The vent is part of the humidifier so it's only a few cm from my ears. If this is normal, I'll be taking it back. I woke several times before giving up and turning off after 3 hours. I checked the mask fit (P10) and was having no issues. I also noted a small buzz from the unit itself but this would not be a deal breaker for me.

To put it into context, I had trialled/rented a S9 and could not hear anything unless the nasal pillow popped out or I opened my mouth.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu May 18, 2017 11:13 pm

Happy Dude wrote:I used the new mini for the first time last night.

There's too much air noise coming out of the vent which is exacerbated during breathing in mostly. The vent is part of the humidifier so it's only a few cm from my ears. If this is normal, I'll be taking it back. I woke several times before giving up and turning off after 3 hours. I checked the mask fit (P10) and was having no issues. I also noted a small buzz from the unit itself but this would not be a deal breaker for me.

To put it into context, I had trialled/rented a S9 and could not hear anything unless the nasal pillow popped out or I opened my mouth.
I'll bet if you took a hacksaw and cut that S9 down to the same size, it would make noise then, if it would run at all. It's not to be a daily XPAP, it's a Travel XPAP. Although the price might suggest it, but fools and their money! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Happy Dude

Post by Happy Dude » Fri May 19, 2017 12:03 am

Goofproof wrote: I'll bet if you took a hacksaw and cut that S9 down to the same size, it would make noise then, if it would run at all. It's not to be a daily XPAP, it's a Travel XPAP. Although the price might suggest it, but fools and their money! Jim
Actually Jim I specifically asked if it was for everyday use and was told yes. Maybe the bloke who sold it to me knows less than you or maybe you're full of it. But if you'd bother to read my post instead of jumping at any opportunity to belittle someone, I said that the main noise was from the humidifier which is part of the hose. I also said that the unit itself does emit some noise.

If we're discussing cost, and we weren't, it was significantly cheaper than a S10 (I'm in Oz). But I was contributing to a thread discussing first impressions. You clearly don't have anything constructive to add, or better to do, so I'll just leave my impressions there then.

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Fri May 19, 2017 6:08 am

Happy Dude- Are you able to return the Mini? Everything I've read about it says the only thing you can return/exchange is the mask. I get the feeling once you buy the system, it's yours.
The only thing is they will let you swap out masks. This is from http://www.cpap.com web site info.

judy o

Post by judy o » Fri May 19, 2017 6:21 am

Hi
first time posting - I was interested in finding out other views on the airmini - picked mine up today - surprisingly you were not able to test it in the store just buy it outright but with the 30 day money back guarantee. Unfortunately like others on the forum the machine/tube/mask noise is so irritating and quite loud - this is a major disappointment - so I am glad reading the forum that others have had the same problem and its not just me. I have been looking for a suitable travel machine but sounds from other posts that whatever brand they are all too loud.

southerndoc

Post by southerndoc » Fri May 19, 2017 6:50 am

judy o wrote:Hi
first time posting - I was interested in finding out other views on the airmini - picked mine up today - surprisingly you were not able to test it in the store just buy it outright but with the 30 day money back guarantee. Unfortunately like others on the forum the machine/tube/mask noise is so irritating and quite loud - this is a major disappointment - so I am glad reading the forum that others have had the same problem and its not just me. I have been looking for a suitable travel machine but sounds from other posts that whatever brand they are all too loud.
Apparently I'm deaf as I do not think the machine is all that loud.

STW

Post by STW » Fri May 19, 2017 11:57 am

judy o wrote:Hi
Question about the mask/tube noise: Since the report from several is that the machine itself is fairly quiet, is it the P10 mask that is the cause of the noise, or is it the humidifying filter that inserts in between hose and mask? At home I already use the P10 mask (the one that comes with the AirMini) and it's the only mask I've tried so I wouldn't know if it's noisy. It doesn't seem so to me so I suppose it may be the filter so near the face that causes the noise(?). Those who have tried the AirMini, how is it if you connect mask to hose without filter? Does it reduce the noise?

thanks