Gas and Bloating and Burps, Oh My!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JaneAsimov

Gas and Bloating and Burps, Oh My!

Post by JaneAsimov » Thu May 18, 2017 8:11 am

Hi again!
I am new to CPAP, three weeks in and on my third mask. Finally, I have found a mask that works, it's a full face, but I'm having terrible burps, gas and bloating (Aerophagia) now. Previously I had a DreamWear mask (nasal only) but I kept breathing through my mouth so we had to switch to a full face mask. Last night I tried sleeping in a semi-upright position and it didn't help. I got 7 hours of sleep with my new mask last night, but I feel more tired today then yesterday. It might have something to do with waking up at 5 am and sitting on the pot with gas (actually is was all just air) for half an hour, in pain, feeling like the Hindenburg. I'm really annoyed, because I was hoping to feel better then I am by now. I think by nature I am an impatient person, but pain/headaches/fatigue makes this worst. On a positive note, my headaches are still going strong, BUT the pain level has diminished some, which is encouraging. I've listed what I am using below as I don't know how to do it in a signature.

- Phillips Respirionics Dreamstation pressure of 8, humidity 3. I have the ramp option but haven't needed to use it the last couple of days because I'm use to it now, yay!
- Quattro Air Full CPAP mask

I would tell you my current AHI and all that jazz, but I just installed the DreamMapper app on my phone today and my sleep data is empty. Not sure what's up with that!

NOTE: I just spoke with my respiratory therapist and he said to increase my humidity for a few days and see if that helps. I also asked if I could get a CPAP that measures my AHI, because apparently mine doesn't (which is stupid). I'm a nurse and a scientist, I want to see my freakin' results, especially if it's going to take a while for me to feel better, to know I'm making progress. I'm going to have to pay an extra $100 for an upgraded machine but I think it's worth it. Take care and sleep well!

Jane

Jane

Diagnosed mild with AHI of 7, and AHI of 26 during REM

Chronic migraine, fatigue, and headaches, hoping to resolve these problems or get better with sleep apnea treatment.

Julie

Re: Gas and Bloating and Burps, Oh My!

Post by Julie » Thu May 18, 2017 8:25 am

The only benefit I can see from raising your humidity could be an increase in congestion/cold symptoms... neither of which have anything to do with aerophagia.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu May 18, 2017 8:43 am

JaneAsimov wrote:Hi again!
I am new to CPAP, three weeks in and on my third mask. Finally, I have found a mask that works, it's a full face, but I'm having terrible burps, gas and bloating (Aerophagia) now. Previously I had a DreamWear mask (nasal only) but I kept breathing through my mouth so we had to switch to a full face mask. Last night I tried sleeping in a semi-upright position and it didn't help. I got 7 hours of sleep with my new mask last night, but I feel more tired today then yesterday. It might have something to do with waking up at 5 am and sitting on the pot with gas (actually is was all just air) for half an hour, in pain, feeling like the Hindenburg. I'm really annoyed, because I was hoping to feel better then I am by now. I think by nature I am an impatient person, but pain/headaches/fatigue makes this worst. On a positive note, my headaches are still going strong, BUT the pain level has diminished some, which is encouraging. I've listed what I am using below as I don't know how to do it in a signature.

- Phillips Respirionics Dreamstation pressure of 8, humidity 3. I have the ramp option but haven't needed to use it the last couple of days because I'm use to it now, yay!

I would tell you my current AHI and all that jazz, but I just installed the DreamMapper app on my phone today and my sleep data is empty. Not sure what's up with that!

NOTE: I just spoke with my respiratory therapist and he said to increase my humidity for a few days and see if that helps. I also asked if I could get a CPAP that measures my AHI, because apparently mine doesn't (which is stupid). I'm a nurse and a scientist, I want to see my freakin' results, especially if it's going to take a while for me to feel better, to know I'm making progress. I'm going to have to pay an extra $100 for an upgraded machine but I think it's worth it. Take care and sleep well!

Jane
I would make sure you are getting the Autoset model...also...if this was purchased with insurance, I don't think the DME is allowed to charge additional for a data model. Challenge them on that.

Hannibal 2

Post by Hannibal 2 » Thu May 18, 2017 8:51 am

Does your machine have a data card? If so you can at least download Sleepyhead and look at your data. If you post it here, folk can offer more advice than they can right now.

Where have you been? It's alright we know where you've been!"
(You've been in the pipeline...)

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu May 18, 2017 9:08 am

If you aren't using a heated hose that setting of 3 for humidity on the machine really isn't very much humidity at all so maybe a little more might help.
Seems like that's the first thing DMEs want to change without really investigating if the current settings suit you well or not.

Some people need more added moisture to the cpap blown air and some need less if the cpap air is causing congestion.
Congestion can cause people to mouth breathe and/or wake up and have some arousals which can also cause people to swallow some air so in a round about way feeds the aerophagia monster.

Don't know if more humidity will help or hurt but doesn't cost anything to try it. If you aren't using a heated hose then that setting of 3 is really very minimal added moisture so I would go higher. Now if you are using a heated hose already then I think that setting of 3 is a fairly high setting (don't know exactly how high the numbers on the DreamStation go when heated hose is attached)...but check the manual to make sure...so you might want to lower it if 3 is as high as it goes and you are having any congestion. If you aren't having any congestion then it's doubtful that changing the humidity will affect the aerophagia at all and it's only a slim maybe that it will if you are having congestion.

Which model machine do you have? Even the half assed brick model DSX200 DreamStation CPAP (not the Pro which is model DSX300 and is full data) has some very limited data available on the LCD screen...you just have to turn it on in the clinical set up menu so you can access it.

I suggest you go here and request the provider/clinical manual...it's a combo manual so if you do end up switching out machines it still covers all 4 of the basic cpap machines.
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p ... tup-manual
Instructions about 2/3 down the page on how to request the manual via email.

Now there is a short version available on how to get to the ultra secret area where you can turn on the AHI so you can see what limited data your machine does collect but do go ahead and get the manual too...there's some really useful information in that manual that isn't on the quick setup area or the user manual you probably got already.
here's the quick setup instructions...go to the clinical set up menu and find the "show AHI" selection and turn it on and then you can see on the screen what data is available...A generic AHI at least...better than nothing...not by much though.

Check with your insurance company...it may be illegal to charge you extra for a full data machine. I think it's called balanced billing or something like that.
Read this
https://maskarrayed.wordpress.com/
and this since it discusses billing
https://maskarrayed.wordpress.com/what- ... me-part-i/

Finally about the aerophagia itself...your pressure isn't horribly high but some unlucky people get the aerophagia really bad even at bare minimum pressures. Before pushing for a full data cpap machine and paying anything extra I would wait and see if you end up needing a bilevel machine because that might be the best option for you in terms of dealing with the aerophagia if you are having it really bad and it sounds like you are.
All the bilevel machines are full data automatically.....so no upgrade fees.
You will need to get your doctor on board to get a bilevel (Respironics calls them BiPaps) machine...insurance sometimes balks but usually will come through if the doctor runs interference for you.

I have been lucky in that I haven't had really bad aerphagia very often but I have had it so bad that I was not only in severe pain the next day I also had bad nausea. So it can be more problematic than just needed to belch or fart a lot.
Plus the belly pain can keep you from sleeping well and you won't ever feel better if you can't sleep because of belly pain.

Forum member RobySue had the aerophagia really bad even at very minimal pressures around 6 ish....she got a bipap and it helps a lot...still not perfect all the time but at least not in severe pain with it.
Just because you aren't using higher pressures doesn't mean that you shouldn't be allowed the opportunity to experience this therapy without all the ugly aerophagia symptoms.

So don't go paying any money for a different cpap machine just yet...wait because you might end up with a bipap and they are all full data.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu May 18, 2017 9:12 am

Hannibal 2 wrote:Does your machine have a data card? If so you can at least download Sleepyhead and look at your data. If you post it here, folk can offer more advice than they can right now.
If she has the bare bones DreamStation CPAP model DSX200 there is nothing on that SD card except hours of use and maybe overall generic AHI.
I don't think SleepyHead will work because the files needed for SH to pull any data are missing....I think that if SH is used with the model 200 plain CPAP...that SH will say "so sorry charlie...you have a brick" because it can't see anything because of the missing files.
There is very minimal data available but even if SH could see it...all it would show is what is available on the LCD screen.

Now if she has the DSX400 or higher then we have a totally different discussion.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

JaneAsimov

Post by JaneAsimov » Thu May 18, 2017 9:23 am

Here is the link to the machine I have. There is no data on it, it is the "brick" of CPAP's
https://www.cpapman.com/manual-machines ... -1485.html

I called my doctor earlier because I was thinking the same thing you were, that I don't want to have to change machines numerous times. If I need a bi-pap, I should just get it now. I didn't know that about insurance companies having to pay for an upgrade, I will look into that.

On this forum I have read that the bi-pap is helpful for people suffering with aerophagia, but when I read about it on other resources on the net, the results are mixed....

Should I wait and see if it gets better? Does that actually happen? It's pretty painful. I took a nap for one hour yesterday in the afternoon, and I could barely make dinner because I was so bloated and in pain.

Also, could it be effecting my AHI if the air is going in my stomach? It's certainly effecting my sleep quality because I keep waking up to burp and pass gas.

Brother, I cannot believe I am having this conversation, but I am very thankful to you kind folks for the support and having it with me.

Jane

Chronic migraine, fatigue, and headaches, hoping to resolve these problems or get better with sleep apnea treatment.

JaneAsimov

Post by JaneAsimov » Thu May 18, 2017 9:25 am

LSAT wrote:
JaneAsimov wrote:Hi again!

Jane
I would make sure you are getting the Autoset model...also...if this was purchased with insurance, I don't think the DME is allowed to charge additional for a data model. Challenge them on that.
Hi LSAT!

What is a "Autoset model"?

Jane

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu May 18, 2017 9:31 am

The link you posted was to a DreamStation CPAP Pro machine...that's model DSX400(and some letters at the end that pertain to humidifier stuff) and it's a full data machine.
Look on the blower for the 3 digits after the DSX in model number ...if it is 200 you have a half assed brick and if it is 400 it's a full data machine.
Respironics doesn't have a model DSX300xxx that I know of.
Even the half ass brick model DSX200 has AHI...that's about it along with hours of use.
All this is explained in the manual I suggested you get and read.
JaneAsimov wrote:Should I wait and see if it gets better? Does that actually happen?
I wouldn't wait if it were me. It sometimes improves with some people but it sounds like you probably won't be lucky enough to be one of those people if just an hour causes major pain.

JaneAsimov

Post by JaneAsimov » Thu May 18, 2017 9:50 am

Pugsy wrote:The link you posted was to a DreamStation CPAP Pro machine...that's model DSX400(and some letters at the end that pertain to humidifier stuff) and it's a full data machine.
Look on the blower for the 3 digits after the DSX in model number ...if it is 200 you have a half assed brick and if it is 400 it's a full data machine.
Respironics doesn't have a model DSX300xxx that I know of.
Even the half ass brick model DSX200 has AHI...that's about it along with hours of use.
All this is explained in the manual I suggested you get and read.
JaneAsimov wrote:Should I wait and see if it gets better? Does that actually happen?
I wouldn't wait if it were me. It sometimes improves with some people but it sounds like you probably won't be lucky enough to be one of those people if just an hour causes major pain.
Hi Pugsy,
I'm not at home so I can't read the DSX number, but my respiratory therapist told me he couldn't read the AHI from my modem because I didn't have that model. Is he lying then?

I'll read the manual you suggested, I'm also going to look at the manual for the machine I have at home today. I see my doctor tomorrow, I'll ask him about a bi-pap. I'm wondering if I should just go to the dentist now and get a mouth piece for apnea made. I didn't realize how hard using a CPAP was going to be!!

Jane

JaneAsimov

Post by JaneAsimov » Thu May 18, 2017 9:54 am

Pugsy wrote:If you aren't using a heated hose that setting of 3 for humidity on the machine really isn't very much humidity at all so maybe a little more might help.
Seems like that's the first thing DMEs want to change without really investigating if the current settings suit you well or not.

Some people need more added moisture to the cpap blown air and some need less if the cpap air is causing congestion.
Congestion can cause people to mouth breathe and/or wake up and have some arousals which can also cause people to swallow some air so in a round about way feeds the aerophagia monster.

Don't know if more humidity will help or hurt but doesn't cost anything to try it. If you aren't using a heated hose then that setting of 3 is really very minimal added moisture so I would go higher. Now if you are using a heated hose already then I think that setting of 3 is a fairly high setting (don't know exactly how high the numbers on the DreamStation go when heated hose is attached)...but check the manual to make sure...so you might want to lower it if 3 is as high as it goes and you are having any congestion. If you aren't having any congestion then it's doubtful that changing the humidity will affect the aerophagia at all and it's only a slim maybe that it will if you are having congestion.

Which model machine do you have? Even the half assed brick model DSX200 DreamStation CPAP (not the Pro which is model DSX300 and is full data) has some very limited data available on the LCD screen...you just have to turn it on in the clinical set up menu so you can access it.

I suggest you go here and request the provider/clinical manual...it's a combo manual so if you do end up switching out machines it still covers all 4 of the basic cpap machines.
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p ... tup-manual
Instructions about 2/3 down the page on how to request the manual via email.

Now there is a short version available on how to get to the ultra secret area where you can turn on the AHI so you can see what limited data your machine does collect but do go ahead and get the manual too...there's some really useful information in that manual that isn't on the quick setup area or the user manual you probably got already.
here's the quick setup instructions...go to the clinical set up menu and find the "show AHI" selection and turn it on and then you can see on the screen what data is available...A generic AHI at least...better than nothing...not by much though.

Check with your insurance company...it may be illegal to charge you extra for a full data machine. I think it's called balanced billing or something like that.
Read this
https://maskarrayed.wordpress.com/
and this since it discusses billing
https://maskarrayed.wordpress.com/what- ... me-part-i/

Finally about the aerophagia itself...your pressure isn't horribly high but some unlucky people get the aerophagia really bad even at bare minimum pressures. Before pushing for a full data cpap machine and paying anything extra I would wait and see if you end up needing a bilevel machine because that might be the best option for you in terms of dealing with the aerophagia if you are having it really bad and it sounds like you are.
All the bilevel machines are full data automatically.....so no upgrade fees.
You will need to get your doctor on board to get a bilevel (Respironics calls them BiPaps) machine...insurance sometimes balks but usually will come through if the doctor runs interference for you.

I have been lucky in that I haven't had really bad aerphagia very often but I have had it so bad that I was not only in severe pain the next day I also had bad nausea. So it can be more problematic than just needed to belch or fart a lot.
Plus the belly pain can keep you from sleeping well and you won't ever feel better if you can't sleep because of belly pain.

Forum member RobySue had the aerophagia really bad even at very minimal pressures around 6 ish....she got a bipap and it helps a lot...still not perfect all the time but at least not in severe pain with it.
Just because you aren't using higher pressures doesn't mean that you shouldn't be allowed the opportunity to experience this therapy without all the ugly aerophagia symptoms.

So don't go paying any money for a different cpap machine just yet...wait because you might end up with a bipap and they are all full data.
I just looked at that manual, that is a very cool reference guide, thank you so much!!!! I AM IN CONTROL NOW!!! LOL

Jane

Soothest Sleep

Post by Soothest Sleep » Thu May 18, 2017 10:14 am

JaneAsimov wrote:
Hi LSAT!

What is a "Autoset model"?
Butting in to respond (sorry LSAT!): "Autoset" is a term used for Resmed machines. I think LSAT means to refer to Respironics' Dreamstation AutoCPAP model; it is a full-data model that can accommodate fluctuating pressure needs with both a minimum and a maximum setting (whereas the basic CPAP model is set at one therapeutic pressure only). You'll find more information in the clinician's manual.

Welcome aboard!
Jean
O soft embalmer of the still midnight,
Shutting, with careful fingers and benign,
Our gloom-pleas'd eyes, embower'd from the light,
Enshaded in forgetfulness divine
-- John Keats

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu May 18, 2017 12:30 pm

JaneAsimov wrote: my respiratory therapist told me he couldn't read the AHI from my modem because I didn't have that model. Is he lying then?

I am trying to find the documentation for what I said about the DSX200 offering at least AHI. I can't find it at the moment but I know someone posted it a while back because I had to eat some crow when I told someone the DSX200 was a total brick and someone using one showed me the AHI.
Now I can't find the proof.
I thought it was in the manual but I just glanced through it and didn't spot it.
Hell, maybe I dreamed it.

I am short on time and patience at the moment. I will try to find the "proof" and show it later.
Either way....with extremely limited or no data..you don't want that machine and most likely are going to end up need a bilevel.

Check it out yourself.. Go into the clinical setup menu per the instructions in that provider/clinical manual and turn "show AHI " to "On" and then go look to see if you see anything besides hours of use.

Last edited by Pugsy on Thu May 18, 2017 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I may have to RISE but I refuse to SHINE.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu May 18, 2017 12:42 pm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=115408&st=0&sk=t&sd ... k&start=30

Okay...in this thread look for this post
by OkyDoky on Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:06 pm
The DreamStation Cpap Data Sheet states it has Basic AHI and Leak reporting. So No graphs or AHI breakdown. There is a setting to select whether or not the Apnea/Hypopnea index is displayed on the Patient Info screen. http://incenter.medical.philips.com/doc ... 3d11572476
This is where I learned about the data on the half assed brick...the proof was in the document but unfortunately that link that OkyDoky provided doesn't work for me right now. I don't have time to go looking for it....sorry.

At least I know I didn't dream it all up. I did see the proof at one time.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu May 18, 2017 2:49 pm

JaneAsimov wrote:terrible burps, gas and bloating (Aerophagia) now
Here is an article that may help with managing and/or preventing aerophagia - wiki/index.php/Aerophagia

JaneAsimov wrote:On this forum I have read that the bi-pap is helpful for people suffering with aerophagia, but when I read about it on other resources on the net, the results are mixed....
A pressure of 8.0 cm is relatively low. If your pressure is 8.0 cm, it is unlikely that a BiPAP will help with aerophagia. But, you will never know without a trial. Maybe your doctor can order a one-week trial if you don't soon get relief.