Pros and cons of using or not using the humidifier feature

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ticman1

Pros and cons of using or not using the humidifier feature

Post by ticman1 » Tue May 16, 2017 5:47 pm

Wondering what the advantages or disadvantages of using or not using the humifierfeature in a RESMED air sense 10 auto.

Was just wondering if for traveling detaching the humidifier tray would make it easier. Realize that tap water could be used for short period of time.

Thanks in advance for your advice

Mike

kteague

Re: Pros and cons of using or not using the humidifier feature

Post by kteague » Tue May 16, 2017 6:14 pm

I used to travel without a humidifier because of convenience but found if more than a very few days my sinuses would rebel. Got to where every breath felt like razors were shredding the area of the turbinates. Once when I changed machines I found out the hard way that I needed to use an adaptive piece if not using the humnidifier. Oops. I would suggest a trial run when at home to see if your sinuses are up to the challenge. Of course it wouldn't be an absolute answer since changing climate when traveling might matter. It's such an individual thing.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue May 16, 2017 6:27 pm

There won't be any cons when going without added moisture if you forgo the water and use the little plastic plate instead of the water chamber as long as your nasal mucosa don't become dried out or unhappy without having the added moisture.
Some people can do just fine without any added water at all and some people would go without their machine before they would go without the added moisture and lots of it.

There is a little plate you can buy and put in place of the water chamber but I don't know how much added space it will give you.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... cover.html
From the looks of it I don't think it will add much (if any space) since it appears to fit over the end which will have to be there anyway.

I always tell people that if they are going to try going without water for some reason ...try it at home first to see what happens.
You don't want to go on a 2 week trip without the humidifier (if it was separate as it is with some machines) or without the water chamber in the case of the AirSense 10 and come to find out that you get horrible nasal/sinus symptoms because the nasal mucosa doesn't like not having water. It can sure kill the fun in a vacation.
Google "cpap rhinitis". The added moisture helps the nasal mucosa stay more hydrated and happier. When they are happy they don't bother your with some rather ugly allergy like symptoms.

Now some people do just fine without any added moisture and that's all fine and dandy...but some people don't and that's also fine and dandy. It's all very individualized as to what makes one person's nasal mucosa happy or unhappy. There is to right or wrong when it come to humidification or not...there's just whatever works for each individual.

I have the AirCurve 10 machine...I don't see any real advantage to using that plate instead of the water chamber in terms of space.
We can use tap water if need be so that's not a problem. If going camping and wanting to run things off a battery and keep energy consumption to a minimum (humidifiers and heated hose are energy hogs) people can go ahead and use water but turn off the heat and get a little pass over moisture if they want to and over course either use a non heated hose or simply turn off the heated hose.
For me...I have experienced those nasty little allergy like symptoms when my nasal mucosa get dried out. It's happened a few time when I have forgotten to add water and I ran out during the night. It usually makes me miserable for about 3 days when that happens so I try real hard to never forget to add that water. I have to add water each night because my nasal mucosa would probably be happiest if I was snorting water. I have tried lower settings and got the same ugly symptoms so I am one of those people who would go without their machine before I would ever use it without water.

Added humidification is mainly for comfort. While the ugly allergy like symptoms (pressure, sneezes, runny nose, congestion, itchy) are pretty miserable they aren't likely to do any worse than what might happen with a bad allergy attack or sinus infection. It can be pretty miserable but we survive.
I for one happen to think that comfort is pretty important because if I am not comfortable then I don't sleep so great and this whole cpap thing is about sleeping.
So I am not going to want to do anything that might lessen the comfort aspect of things.

If you want to see what happens without water...try it at home first. You might do just fine but you might not.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue May 16, 2017 8:12 pm

Pros and Cons, I used my HH for 8 years before realizing I didn't carry a spray bottle around to spray me nose, so I stopped using mine, 3 years without needing it. I do take a 24 oz cup of ice water to hold me over all night, but I did that when using the HH also. I take allergy pills at bedtime, they dry me out. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Jasba64

Post by Jasba64 » Tue May 16, 2017 8:47 pm

Your nose is a natural humidifier. Now think about blowing air into your nose all night. What do you suppose happens? That's why you need the humidity. It also helps your AHI.

Cowboyup

Post by Cowboyup » Tue May 16, 2017 9:10 pm

Hey Pugsy,

I have an aircuve 10 also. I thought only distilled water was allowed in the instructions. Is that not the case?

Thank you, C

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue May 16, 2017 9:28 pm

Jasba64 wrote: blowing air into your nose all night.
the only way you're blowing air into your nose all night is if you've got a nasal mask, and a huge mouth leak.

otherwise, you're just breathing as you normally would, with very slightly pressurized air, but all the air movement is still caused by your lungs, just like all day long.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue May 16, 2017 9:31 pm

Cowboyup wrote:Hey Pugsy,

I have an aircuve 10 also. I thought only distilled water was allowed in the instructions. Is that not the case?

Thank you, C
Tap water can be used. The worst that can or will happen with tap water is mineral buildup in the water chamber and even that is easily removed with a little vinegar.
Where I live the water has a high mineral content...."hard water"....lots of iron and limestone and I am on well water at that.
I have used tap water on occasion when I have been out of distilled for some reason.
So tap water can be used in a pinch short term or probably even long term but I am lazy and don't like to clean anything unless I use have to so I try to avoid the mineral build up as much as possible.

The instructions may officially say "only distilled" but it will still work just fine with tap water or bottled water if that is all a person has. For me that's the only option because I won't go without water.
If you can drink the water...it can be used in the water chamber...now you might get some mineral build up that looks yucky but it doesn't hurt the humidifier or you to have it look yucky. Looks won't hurt you.
Now is that mineral build up (left long term) a breeding ground for some unwanted bugs or germs...I don't know. Most people won't let it get to that point and those that would probably don't worry about cleaning anything ever anyway.

Now I do suggest that if someone is going to be using something other than distilled that they dump the leftover water in the morning and let the chamber air dry to limit any mineral build up and lessen the need for vinegar cleaning.
Just fill up again at bedtime and dump the next morning until they are able to get distilled again.
I do this when I go visit my daughter. I don't bother to buy distilled just for 4 or 5 nights. I use tap water and dump each morning.
She lives in a hard water area also. I have never had any real mineral build up doing it that way or enough to warrant a vinegar cleaning.

So yes...distilled is the best option but in a pinch other water can be used and the worst thing is a little extra cleaning might need to be done. Not the end of the world for sure.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Cowboyup

Post by Cowboyup » Wed May 17, 2017 9:09 am

Thank you Pugsy!

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed May 17, 2017 11:26 am

ticman1 wrote: traveling
Try it at home before traveling. What works for some, may not work for others.

If you are traveling to a very arid climate, consider very carefully before leaving the humidifier at home.

BTW, I don't use the humidifier at all except when traveling to the arid southwest.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed May 17, 2017 2:40 pm

ticman1 wrote:Wondering what the advantages or disadvantages of using or not using the humifierfeature in a RESMED air sense 10 auto.

Was just wondering if for traveling detaching the humidifier tray would make it easier. Realize that tap water could be used for short period of time.

Mike
I remember someone saying this item helped when traveling...cheap enough to try...
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/heat-m ... -unit.html

Holden4th

Post by Holden4th » Thu May 18, 2017 2:24 am

LSAT wrote:
ticman1 wrote:Wondering what the advantages or disadvantages of using or not using the humifierfeature in a RESMED air sense 10 auto.

Mike
I remember someone saying this item helped when traveling...cheap enough to try...
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/heat-m ... -unit.html
I used it on the plane when I went to the UK recently. It worked very well.

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Thu May 18, 2017 5:51 am

I have used just passive humidity (water in the humidifier but no heat) for several years now. It works well for me. Recently, I was in hospital for several months and decided I could get along without the humidifier. Within a week, my nasal passages were very dry and I was getting mild nose bleeds. I got my humidifier set up and things gradually normalized. I can't go very long without at least my passive humidity then.
Everyone is different so you need to experiment at home before trying no humidifier for any length of time.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu May 18, 2017 6:19 am

Hawthorne wrote:hospital
In my experience, hospital HVACs make the air very dry.

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Thu May 18, 2017 6:56 am

Yes - it had a lot to do with the dry air in the hospital, I'm sure.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap