Respironics DreamWear Gel Nasal pillow mask review thread

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Pugsy

Respironics DreamWear Gel Nasal pillow mask review thread

Post by Pugsy » Wed May 17, 2017 3:42 pm

Looks like we will likely have several new masks to review coming up soon. What with cpap.com just getting the Respironics DreamWear Gel nasal pillow and I just saw the AirTouch F20 from ResMed using memory foam...boy that looks interesting.

I am doing this thread to give other besides myself who elect to try the DreamWear Gel pillows a place to put their reviews and I will put mine here in a day or two. I got mine last Sat...so 4 nights now using it.
I find it is useful if we keep reviews confined in one thread so people can read other people's thoughts without having to hunt around all over the place to find them.

So if you try the new DreamWear Gel nasal pillow mask...share your thoughts here in this thread if you think about it.

It's this mask
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/pr-dre ... -pack.html
and not the older version that was a cushion only that was released a couple of years ago.

What it looks like is Respironics married the DreamWear Cushion to the Nuance Gel nasal pillows...pretty sweet arrangement.
I happened to have also tried the DreamWear Cushion and the Nuance Pro gel nasal pillows in the past.
With the Nuance...I really liked the nasal pillows but I wasn't overly fond of the headgear...main reason it didn't stay in my arsenal very long...the headgear was annoying to me.
I really like the DreamWear headgear/frame way of doing things and even more so since I got a Small frame to try out.
More on all that later when I do my final review and take some time to compose my thoughts.
So the marriage between the two masks works well for my own personal preferences and needs. It may or may not work well for your own preferences and needs.

No mask is ever 100% perfect...at least for me. There's always some little something, even with my primary mask at the time, that I always would like to be maybe just a little different in some way or other. There's always going to be some pros and cons with any mask and what we have to do is figure out which ones have more pros than cons. It can be a tough journey complicated by the fact that some things I might value as a "pro" you might value as a "con". When it comes to masks...that old saying "one man's treasure is another man's trash" is very spot on. You might just hate a mask that I might love....and I might just totally hate a mask you might love...and both of us will silently wonder what in the hell is wrong with that other person for not liking what we like.

I have been on cpap therapy coming on 8 years the end of this month. May 2009 I started this journey.
People who know me know that I like to try new things just because they are new and look interesting...and it is the same with masks.
If a new mask looks interesting to me I will try it and if it doesn't I won't try it. Full face masks don't particularly interest me for a number of reasons so I haven't really tested very many but since I have used a nasal pillow mask since day one of cpap therapy I have tried several of the nasal pillow masks over the years. I have missed trying a few but not very many.

Hence the reason I am trying the new Respironics DreamWear Gel Nasal pillow mask...it's new and looks interesting and that's reason enough for me to try something.

I would have got it through my DME if they had known about it and had it in inventory but they are always late on getting any new mask and when I asked about it I got the old blank stare and "what did you say it was called"...so I elected to buy from cpap.com.
It comes with free return insurance so if I had just totally hated it I could send it back within 30 days and get my money back.
I won't be sending it back...I know that already.
If any of you read this and want to purchase it from cpap.com...be sure to call and place the order and ask for the special pricing ...it's $20 cheaper if you do that vs doing the online ordering showing $109 retail....it's actually $89 if you call.
Do like I did and get some filters to get the price up to the $99 to qualify for free shipping...we always need filters.

Anyway...I need a few more nights with it especially now that I just got the small frame put on today (I can tell already a significant improvement and it wasn't a bad mask before the improvement) and I will take some time and compose an in depth review.
In the mean time if you have questions or want to put your own review here in this thread..by all means feel free to ask your questions or post your review.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

KenM

Re: Respironics DreamWear Gel Nasal pillow mask review thread

Post by KenM » Wed May 17, 2017 5:42 pm

I have just recently received the gel pillows.
I ordered a small, as thats what cushion I used. Fit seems good.

I tend to sleep on my side & change positions frequently.

With the cushion I kept getting minor leaks, enough to make noise & wake me but not enough to go into large leak territory.
not so much with the gel pillows.

Still much to early to draw a conclusion, but so far its all good.

Holden4th

Post by Holden4th » Thu May 18, 2017 2:11 am

I have ordered the new nasal pillows only as I already have three frames thanks to a deal I did with a member here. As Pugsy correctly told me, Cpap.com won't ship Resmed or Respironics gear outside of the continental US. However there are ways around that and my new nasal pillows will arrive in the next week or so. They will fit my current frame.

I love my Dreamwear but the nasal piece moving when you sleep on your side does cause leak issues. I see the pillows solving this problem making the combination the best mask out there for me. I'll use this thread to make my review.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu May 18, 2017 6:15 am

CPAP.com would love to ship outside the US but they are bound by their contracts with ResMed and Respironics and it was ResMed first (Respironics came later) who included clauses in the contracts prohibiting shipping any of their products outside the US where cpap.com resides.
Similar contracts in other countries to other cpap suppliers do the same thing. This restriction isn't just for machines or complete mask packages...it's for even a name brand filter. Kinda stupid if you ask me but then no one at ResMed or Respironics saw fit to ask my opinion.

And yes...the new pillow thing will attach to the frame of the original DreamWear so if a person has one then all they need is the pillow.
I had sold mine...that's why I had to get the whole thing. Originally kept it not to sell but just to have handy "just in case" but I loaned it out and the person fell in love with it and they offered to swap me something for it that I could use and a small amount of cash...so it got swapped/sold.

I sorta wish the nasal pillows came in an XSmall size because I think I would like a bit smaller...but they don't and I can manage the Small well enough I suppose. I just kind wish I could try smaller.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

QueSera

Post by QueSera » Fri May 19, 2017 4:08 pm

I've been using the gel pillow for about a week, and so far, I'm happy with it. Background: Dreamwear was the first mask that actually worked for me; I got it about 2 months into CPAP therapy. Because I too like to try out new things, I also have an AirFit F20 for when I feel I need a full-face mask, and an OptiLife Nasal Pillow Mask. This one has a chinstrap built in. The mask is a little clumsy for a side sleeper, but I learned that I really, really need a chinstrap (I ordered a BreatheWear, best chinstrap EVER) and it also helped me order the correct size of the Dreamwear Gel pillows. (I didn't need a mask or kit as I was already using the Dreamwear.)

I ordered Medium, even though I usually order a small size in everything. Most headgear and chin straps are too big for what I guess is my abnormally small head. But Medium is the right size for my nose.

I have NO LEAKS at all, no shifting during the night, and no mouthleaks either (but that's probably the chinstrap.) I plan to use the gel pillow with my dreamwear from now on.
It's always something. Roseanne RoseannaDanna
I was a victim of a series of circumstances, as are we all. Malachi Constant

KenM

Post by KenM » Tue May 23, 2017 11:04 am

Using these new pillows for a week.

The bad:
Due to the odd shape of my nostrils, and the deviated septum, I need a mirror to set the mask correctly. If I don't, the potential of the mask openings to be pinched is great.

The Good:
Everything Else. 95% Leak Rate is in the single digits, if I have any leaks at all. Even tossing & turning I get a great seal. Took a little getting used to the pillow (about a night or 2)
Great mask, Great pillows, I'm keeping it.

Blue Waters

Post by Blue Waters » Tue May 23, 2017 12:37 pm

How is the noise level with this mask? Also, how strong is the air exhaust in terms of effecting the other person in the bed?

I'm currently using Resmed AirFit P10. I like the size, comfort and the diffused air exhaust aspects of it. It's working for me. But I think it doesn't last long relative to my old Resmed Swift FX Nasal Pillows. Also the Swift FX fit better overall and less leaks overall but its air exhaust was a bit too much.

I'm thinking about trying this new mask but if its exhaust is too directional then I might get kicked out of the bed My APAP pressure is set 9 - 16. I think it averages about 10.5.

Thanks.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue May 23, 2017 1:04 pm

Blue Waters wrote:How is the noise level with this mask? Also, how strong is the air exhaust in terms of effecting the other person in the bed?
In terms of noise level I don't find it particularly noisy at all. I think that "noise" is a lot in the "ear" of the beholder though. I am betting if I say I don't hear a thing someone will complain about it being noisy. It is funny though that for some reason I don't get nearly as much breathing noise as I remembered getting with the first DreamWear and unfortunately I sold it so I can't go back to compare. Overall though...not particularly noisy at least to me.

Now that venting thing though...it's going to likely bug the other person in bed if they get anywhere close.
I was thinking about that very thing last night when I woke to find my arm getting the air flow from the vent on the pillow portion.
This mask has to venting areas...one near the nasal pillows and it blows outward and one at the top of the head where the long hose attaches to the mask. The one at the top of the head is unlikely to be a problem for anyone but the one near the nasal pillows is likely going to annoy a bed partner.

I went from the Swift FX to the P10...hubby never mentioned the cold air on him from the Swift FX when I was using it but he quickly mentioned how nice it was to not have that cold air blowing on him from the P10. The venting bugged him but he just never complained...he said he would just pull the covers up and/or turn away.
At any rate...the venting from the DreamWear gel pillows mask is going to be similar to the Swift FX venting. It's no where near the diffused state of the P10. Too bad too...the technology is there (ResMed and F & P can do it) but Respironics hasn't climbed up on that band wagon yet.

Blue Waters

Post by Blue Waters » Tue May 23, 2017 6:26 pm

Pugsy wrote: ....
I went from the Swift FX to the P10...hubby never mentioned the cold air on him from the Swift FX when I was using it but he quickly mentioned how nice it was to not have that cold air blowing on him from the P10. The venting bugged him but he just never complained...he said he would just pull the covers up and/or turn away.
At any rate...the venting from the DreamWear gel pillows mask is going to be similar to the Swift FX venting. It's no where near the diffused state of the P10. Too bad too...the technology is there (ResMed and F & P can do it) but Respironics hasn't climbed up on that band wagon yet.
It turns out that I wasn't subscribed to this topic... Glad I just checked it.

Thanks Pugsy for your reply. I was afraid about the venting issue with this mask. I got quite a bit of venting related complaints with the Swift FX I think I'll stay with the P10 for now.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue May 23, 2017 6:41 pm

Blue Waters wrote: I was afraid about the venting issue with this mask. I got quite a bit of venting related complaints with the Swift FX I think I'll stay with the P10 for now.
Yeah...it's a lot more like the Swift FX than the P10 for sure when it comes to the venting...though maybe not quite as loud but certainly as forceful.
I do plan on trying to fix up some sort of diffuser for the vent on the pillows portion. That's on my list of things to try but I just haven't got around to it yet. I have some old generic cheaply made filter material for my ResMed machine that is really porous and I think it would make a good vent diffuser without killing me in the process.

This gel pillow mask is going to be like any other mask out that...there's always some little something that I wish was "better"
So far with this mask...it's the venting that is probably my main gripe. Not so much for me but for hubby and mainly for the winter time when the air is a lot cooler because despite having a heated hose that air get cold blowing on someone real fast.

Since I have changed to the small frame the entire mask is much more stable which made a sizable improvement in my overall thoughts about the mask.
It pretty much tics off the majority of my preferences with maybe a couple of minor "cons"....the vent being probably the biggest con.

Blue Waters

Post by Blue Waters » Tue May 23, 2017 6:58 pm

Pugsy wrote: I do plan on trying to fix up some sort of diffuser for the vent on the pillows portion. That's on my list of things to try but I just haven't got around to it yet. I have some old generic cheaply made filter material for my ResMed machine that is really porous and I think it would make a good vent diffuser without killing me in the process.
Yeah, watch out for the CO2 build up! I can't believe that they come up with a mask like that and didn't put some kind of diffuser in front.
Pugsy wrote: Since I have changed to the small frame the entire mask is much more stable which made a sizable improvement in my overall thoughts about the mask.
It pretty much tics off the majority of my preferences with maybe a couple of minor "cons"....the vent being probably the biggest con.
I was really excited to see that they're using gel for better seal and the hose entrance from the top of the head. If I were on my own, I would have definitely given it a shot.

EdNerd

Post by EdNerd » Tue May 23, 2017 9:39 pm

For those who already have the Dreamwear - do they sell just the pillows insert separate?? Or do you have to buy a whole new kit and caboodle?

Ed

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue May 23, 2017 9:57 pm

EdNerd wrote:For those who already have the Dreamwear - do they sell just the pillows insert separate?? Or do you have to buy a whole new kit and caboodle?
For those who already have the original DreamWear...you can buy just the cushion insert with the gel nasal pillows. It attaches just like the original cushion attaches to the frame.
It fits...no need to buy a whole new frame, hose, headgear, etc.
You would of course need to have an idea as to what size you would want....the mask package fit pack contains all sizes.
I bought the whole package despite my trying the original because I ended up selling my original despite planning to keep it.
I sent it out on load and the person made me an offer for it that I couldn't pass up...and I figured that I could always get another one later.
I never got around to it so had to get the complete package with this one.

Holden4th

Post by Holden4th » Wed May 24, 2017 2:49 am

I already have three Dreamwear frames so I just ordered the gel nasal pillows. As I am successfully using the small original nasal piece I've gone for that with the pillows. If the pillows reduce the leakage I get with the nasal mask then they will be a keeper. The gels should be in my hands very soon.

KenM

Post by KenM » Wed May 24, 2017 10:23 am

I use the small cushion, so I ordered the small gel pillow.
It works. the medium may be a bit too large.

Noise: it seems loud to me, but now the weather is getting hot I have a large oscillating fan so the noise isn't as noticeable.
I have no problem falling asleep.
Haven't asked my GF how loud it is, doesn't seem to bother her. She prefers the Dreamwear over the other masks I have.