Tubing having droplets even after full day drying.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Michandola

Tubing having droplets even after full day drying.

Post by Michandola » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:01 pm

Ok I washed my tubing and the mask at around 9 in the morning but I still see the droplets in the tubing after keeping them for drying. Does it matter if tubing has some droplets? Or it needs to be fully dry?

LSAT

Re: Tubing having droplets even after full day drying.

Post by LSAT » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:14 pm

Michandola wrote:Ok I washed my tubing and the mask at around 9 in the morning but I still see the droplets in the tubing after keeping them for drying. Does it matter if tubing has some droplets? Or it needs to be fully dry?
In my opinion it make no sense to dry your hose...As soon as you turn on your machine humidity wets it again. In fact...it makes no sense to me to clean the hose...only filtered air goes through it.

Last edited by LSAT on Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:09 pm

LSAT wrote:
Michandola wrote:Ok I washed my tubing and the mask at around 9 in the morning but I still see the droplets in the tubing after keeping them for drying. Does it matter if tubing has some droplets? Or it needs to be fully dry?
In my opinion it make no sense to dry your hose...As soon as you turn on your machine humidity wets it again. In fact...it makes no sense to me to clean the hose...only filtered air goes through it.
+1

Any additional moisture in the hose will be added to the water vapor when you start using it again.
In 12 years, I've never "cleaned" my hose. And, I'm still using the same one I started therapy with.
Every few years I'll fill it with hot water and check for leaks, but there have been none, so I keep using it.

If you REALLY feel you need to clean it, do it in the evening before going to bed. And, again, the residual moisture will be added to the nightly amount of water vapor used.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

WRX03

Post by WRX03 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:00 am

I have two hoses and mask setups and switch them every night.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:00 pm

I never clean my hose and this is why. I think there's more chance of getting mold and other problems from a so-called cleaning than not cleaning it at all. I used the same hose for about 6 years and only cleaned it once that first week before I decided that was a waste of time.

I never get condensation in the hose, so no need to introduce water into the system, IMHO.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Jack Burton

Post by Jack Burton » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:12 pm

I clean my mask, hose, tank and humidifier gasket once a week.
I also were clean clothes every day.

Some would say I have to much time on my hands.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:16 pm

Jack Burton wrote:I clean my mask, hose, tank and humidifier gasket once a week.
I also were clean clothes every day.

Some would say I have to much time on my hands.

Agree

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:09 pm

LSAT wrote:
In my opinion it make no sense to dry your hoes...As soon as you turn on your machine humidity wets it again. In fact...it makes no sense to me to clean the hose...only filtered air goes through it.
Hey be nice will ya?

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:36 pm

Generally not a problem if your tubing has just a few droplets. As mentioned, as soon as you turn the humidity on, you have moisture again. If you have a bunch of droplets and it just bugs the heck out of you, try 'winging it' to send the excess moisture out. Try not to drop it on the floor or deck a family member though. It really only bugs me when they accumulate in the mask itself.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:14 am

If you really care about drying your cpap hose after washing it, here's the perfect device for that:

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/mvap-h ... dryer.html

It has a built-in tube dryer, and in addition has enough space to dry your tank, mask parts, etc. quickly after you wash them.

If you care to do that...there's lots of people in this forum that don't advise washing cpap parts. Around here, by the ocean, we get mold and mildew quite easily, so I do wash things occasionally, just to remove/prevent that stuff. If I don't, I do see black mold starting up after while, most notably on the plastic tank parts, which I'm not really in tune with.

Anyways, the dryer works fine *smile*.

TheDuke

Post by TheDuke » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:41 pm

I Scrub my hose once a week with a long bristle brush and ordinary liquid dish detergent. I suspend the hose for a few minutes and then use the CPAP air flow to dry it thoroughly.

TheDuke

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:43 pm

RogerSC wrote:If you really care about drying your cpap hose after washing it, here's the perfect device for that:

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/mvap-h ... dryer.html

It has a built-in tube dryer, and in addition has enough space to dry your tank, mask parts, etc. quickly after you wash them.

If you care to do that...there's lots of people in this forum that don't advise washing cpap parts. Around here, by the ocean, we get mold and mildew quite easily, so I do wash things occasionally, just to remove/prevent that stuff. If I don't, I do see black mold starting up after while, most notably on the plastic tank parts, which I'm not really in tune with.

Anyways, the dryer works fine *smile*.
I would think the salt air would lessen the mold problem, however you may develop a barncle buildup. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Dennis de NorthWet

Post by Dennis de NorthWet » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:57 am

To quote someone, "no biggie".

When I first got my machine I used to religiously wash tubing and tank daily, generally hanging the hose over the shower head.. There was always some residual drops in the tube. Now, after using a couple of different machines for a handful+ of years, I hardly ever wash any of it. Net result = nada. My bad perhaps, but I'm only following my sisters lead who never cleaned her machine from the get-go.

I suppose, in the wrong circumstances you could grow things in your equipment, but that has not been my experience. However YMMV (your mileage may vary). On the other hand, I can't see where OCD level cleaning would be much of an issue either, other than the time involved, one of the reasons I gave up shaving. So, were it me, I'd not worry at all about a few drops of water in the hose.

If you REALLY want that hose to be thoroughly dry, here's some of suggestions:
-Move to a dryer climate. ;" >
-Get a few spare hoses, so they have time to dry "naturally".
-Use some sort of sanitary airflow increasing device, heated would be faster. How about a hair dryer at a respectful distance so as not to melt the hose.
-To improve air flow, as heat rises, always hang your hose vertically, not in a loop over the shower head. A clothes pin or some such would be an easy way to attach the hose to something.
-Hang your hose near a wood stove, which is what I do.

Or, as they say on the East Coast, "forgetaboutit".

Regards,
Dennis

Rob K

Post by Rob K » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:08 am

I clean my cushion daily and everything else once a week. I hang the hose by it's end near a fan along with the soaked headgear. This will dry everything thoroughly if your concerned about it.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:32 am

I would be concerned if there was no moisture in the tube.
(---imagining baby mice in onesies and absorbent booties scurrying through the hose)