Rudeness

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jnk...

Re: Rudeness

Post by jnk... » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:10 pm

Lucyhere wrote:It's so nice to see a fun thread here, even if it did evolve from "Rudeness".

I'm feeling very left out. Can ANYONE play?
Sure. It's a public park, and no one has this diamond reserved. It's a pickup game with no deposit required.

I think that in harmony with Huh?'s suggestions, someone should philosophize on possible usefulness of a BRI (boredom/rudeness index) scale in the treatment of FEVD (forum-etiquette-violation disorder) in OSA/PAP forums. Since you've been around for a number of years and have seen a thing or two around here, perhaps you could start the discussion off with your observations on possible treatment protocols that might get that sort of thing cured before wanton thread-hijacking breaks out on cpaptalk.com and all heck breaks loose. Because goodness knows we certainly wouldn't want THAT to happen!

I mean, what could be ruder than hijacking a thread about rudeness!!!!
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

bettiola@comcast.net

Post by bettiola@comcast.net » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:42 pm

I have to say I agree - when I was a vulnerable newbie I found the rudeness very off-putting (later discovered that some of it was teasing or a kind of humor I don't understand). However what I've learned here and how much it helped me get over the very difficult adjustment period after I was first diagnosed with OSA has been invaluable. I've learned so much more here than I have from any health professional. And because of downloading the Sleepyhead software that I learned about here, I have access to information about my sleep that my sleep disorders doctor doesn't have! The last time I saw her she asked me to bring my laptop with the Sleepyhead info to my next appointment because I was concerned about some Cheynes-Stokes breathing that was showing up. This never would have come up if I hadn't mentioned it. I also learned from information I got here that I needed to have my pressure turned up and suggested it to her, and it solved a problem I was having. So because of all the help I've gotten here I've pretty much learned to ignore the rudeness as just so much noise, but I can't say that I understand it. (And I worry that it could keep sensitive and vulnerable newbies from getting the information that could be so helpful to them.)

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:46 pm

bettiola@comcast.net wrote:I have to say I agree - when I was a vulnerable newbie I found the rudeness very off-putting (later discovered that some of it was teasing or a kind of humor I don't understand). However what I've learned here and how much it helped me get over the very difficult adjustment period after I was first diagnosed with OSA has been invaluable. I've learned so much more here than I have from any health professional. And because of downloading the Sleepyhead software that I learned about here, I have access to information about my sleep that my sleep disorders doctor doesn't have! The last time I saw her she asked me to bring my laptop with the Sleepyhead info to my next appointment because I was concerned about some Cheynes-Stokes breathing that was showing up. This never would have come up if I hadn't mentioned it. I also learned from information I got here that I needed to have my pressure turned up and suggested it to her, and it solved a problem I was having. So because of all the help I've gotten here I've pretty much learned to ignore the rudeness as just so much noise, but I can't say that I understand it. (And I worry that it could keep sensitive and vulnerable newbies from getting the information that could be so helpful to them.)
Very well said, IMO. Nice post.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:42 pm

My personal top-ten list of how I try not to be (too) rude when I post here:

10. If my fingers ever want to type the phrase "you are a/an _______ (idiot/troll/jerk/bully)," I force them instead to type something like, "I'm not sure I fully agree with your _________ (statement/tone/observation) on this one."
9. I imagine the poster I'm responding to is my grandparent and that my minor grandchild is reading what I write as I write it. (Works for me even though my grandparents are gone and I have no children.)
8. I remember that lives can be saved or lost here. OSA is a killer. PAP saves. Sleep-deprived people can be skittish and thus easily frightened away by what they see me saying to other posters. They don't know the history behind it.
7. I picture myself as Johnny's guest sitting in his living room. If Johnny wants to run someone off from here, he will. So I don't have the right to make his guests feel unwelcome, even when his guests post as "Guest."
6. I keep in mind that I don't have a badge and can't perform citizen's arrests, even if I think someone here is a "bully." I may not always like what happens in this town, but I don't own it. So making my own noose and looking for a low branch would just make me a prospective lyncher, not a champion of human rights.
5. I understand that the insult humor of Rodney Dangerfield and Don Rickles only worked because people could see their goofy faces. No one can see my goofy face in a forum, so people could picture me actually meaning what I say even if I don't.
4. I realize I don't want to mess up a place where people like Pugsy are able to do their thing.
3. I think of how I want my wife to be proud of how I treat people, even people I don't know.
2. I get that the info here saved my life once, so why would I want to risk Johnny getting tired of the nonsense and pulling the plug on it all?
1. I know that anonymity is no excuse, since God, the NSA, and a bunch of 10-year-old hackers somewhere in Asia know exactly who I am and where I live and see how I'm treating people.

But hey, that's just me. Do what works for you.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:03 pm

jnk... wrote:My personal top-ten list of how I try not to be (too) rude when I post here:

10. If my fingers ever want to type the phrase "you are a/an _______ (idiot/troll/jerk/bully)," I force them instead to type something like, "I'm not sure I fully agree with your _________ (statement/tone/observation) on this one."
9. I imagine the poster I'm responding to is my grandparent and that my minor grandchild is reading what I write as I write it. (Works for me even though my grandparents are gone and I have no children.)
8. I remember that lives can be saved or lost here. OSA is a killer. PAP saves. Sleep-deprived people can be skittish and thus easily frightened away by what they see me saying to other posters. They don't know the history behind it.
7. I picture myself as Johnny's guest sitting in his living room. If Johnny wants to run someone off from here, he will. So I don't have the right to make his guests feel unwelcome, even when his guests post as "Guest."
6. I keep in mind that I don't have a badge and can't perform citizen's arrests, even if I think someone here is a "bully." I may not always like what happens in this town, but I don't own it. So making my own noose and looking for a low branch would just make me a prospective lyncher, not a champion of human rights.
5. I understand that the insult humor of Rodney Dangerfield and Don Rickles only worked because people could see their goofy faces. No one can see my goofy face in a forum, so people could picture me actually meaning what I say even if I don't.
4. I realize I don't want to mess up a place where people like Pugsy are able to do their thing.
3. I think of how I want my wife to be proud of how I treat people, even people I don't know.
2. I get that the info here saved my life once, so why would I want to risk Johnny getting tired of the nonsense and pulling the plug on it all?
1. I know that anonymity is no excuse, since God, the NSA, and a bunch of 10-year-old hackers somewhere in Asia know exactly who I am and where I live and see how I'm treating people.

I don't know man. Your standards are on the high end for most. People are .... well you know, not fully agreeable with statements, tones, or whatevers.

You do realize that you could easily end up being the only one able to post here .... and how silly would that look in front of your invisible children?

President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:29 pm

DreamStalker wrote:I don't know man. Your standards are on the high end for most. People are .... well you know, not fully agreeable with statements, tones, or whatevers. You do realize that you could easily end up being the only one able to post here .... and how silly would that look in front of your invisible children?
My standards are only for me, because, without them, I might otherwise make Snoredog's old posts look like he was a teddy bear.

The nice thing about invisible children is that it's real easy to find imaginary playmates for them.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:09 pm

jnk... wrote:The nice thing about invisible children is that it's real easy to find imaginary playmates for them.
If I were several years younger, perhaps I could be one of your imaginary children. When I was a child, I had an imaginary playmate. Now, I often start to respond to a post, then stop and read what I wrote before hitting the submit button, and hit the back arrow instead. Quite often the comments I start to write are not really going to help the situation I am trying to respond to. According to my kids, I have either mellowed in my old age, or my brain has just turned to mush.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:56 pm

jnk... wrote:My personal top-ten list of how I try not to be (too) rude when I post here:

Even tho I just might see myself in one of your numbers up there, I think the sticky maker should make this a sticky because it's just that good

But hey, that's just me.
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:29 am

#1 Guest wrote:Unhappy people are distrustful of most people they meet and assume that strangers can't be trusted.
Unfortunately this behavior slowly starts to close the door on any connection outside of an inner-circle and thwarts all chances of meeting new friends.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:27 am

Guest wrote:
#1 Guest wrote:Unhappy people are distrustful of most people they meet and assume that strangers can't be trusted.
Unfortunately this behavior slowly starts to close the door on any connection outside of an inner-circle and thwarts all chances of meeting new friends.
Sez the unhappy Guest, distrustful of logging in as a member into a forum full of inner-circle CPAP strangers.

But hey, that's just you.

And if your looking to meet new friends (real or imaginary), it helps to be able to Private Message ... but, you have to register as a member for that.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:39 am

My personal list is much shorter ...
1. Post, and let post.
2. Do unto others after they do unto you (or is it do unto others before they do unto you? probably doesn't matter ).
3. Post only facts, or only humor, or both at the same time so as not to confuse the newbies.

jsielke

Post by jsielke » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:25 am

That is really cool! May I borrow that? (I'll remove any identifying things, like "Pugsy.")

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:31 am

It's a public forum; once I post it, I don't consider myself to own it. So do with it as you will, no attribution necessary.

Thanks for asking, though. Very unrude of you!
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:10 pm

DreamStalker wrote:My personal list is much shorter ...
1. Post, and let post.
2. Do unto others after they do unto you (or is it do unto others before they do unto you? probably doesn't matter ).
3. Post only facts, or only humor, or both at the same time so as not to confuse the newbies.
That's my plan too. Jim

Problem I keep trying to confront stupidity, but realize it's not a fair fight, stupidity fights unarmed and their hearing is impaired.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:41 pm

I gave up on this board for the most part.
Good Information may be available if you use the search option.
Way too many blowhards with huge ego's here that think they know everything and more than often give out bad advise and information.