How to tell if Bipap is new Run vs Used Hours?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tbear

Re: How to tell if Bipap is new Run vs Used Hours?

Post by tbear » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:07 am

chunkyfrog wrote:Since I don't touch the machine until after I turn on the light, the screen is at full brightness as soon as I tap the "home" button.
It takes too long for my taste to wait for the light to brighten if I hit the lamp second--so I do it first.
My lamp is a little LED desk lamp, aimed right at the sensor, in case that helps.
The frog does not like to wait.
As far as I can see there are only 2 types of screen brightness on the A10, either super dim or full brightness which is fine. When the lights come on at night or in the morning and I touch the "Home Button" or any on/off button, the screen still remains dim for a few minutes. This means I cannot adjust the A10 settings at night without turning on my light (which da wife isn't too happy about, sorry honey!) and we have to wait for the stupid screen to brighten.

Does your machine screen go bright as soon as you hit the "Home" button because mine does not? If it does that means something is also wrong with my screen brightness on my "New A10".

tbear

Post by tbear » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:51 am

Pugsy wrote:Ahhh...I see now.
And you didn't think to check the run hours when you first got it to see what it said.

As you probably now realize...DMEs don't always tell the truth. I don't know if you will have much luck with ResMed.
ResMed is likely to throw it back in the DMEs hands and say that they ship machines new with 0.0 hours on them because that is pretty much what they do.

I understand your frustrations. Do what you think you have to do...the machine was used briefly before you got it ...in some fashion or other.
I doubt you will get much satisfaction from the DME but I know if it were me and I was lied to...they wouldn't get a dime of any repeat business from me.
You are right, it was my mistake not to check the Run Hours when it was delivered, but I did after a few days of using it and learning how to get into the menus. As you can see below, I had absolutely no luck with ResMed or my DME, so you are 100% correct about the DME not being truthful. Will just have to wait and see how our dispute goes with my CC company regarding my DME selling me a slightly used vs New machine and not helping me with my other issues, all within a couple weeks of getting the A10.

guest two

Post by guest two » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:03 am

tbear wrote:Hi Pugsy thanks for the quick reply.

Yes the 131 hours used is all mine since I received the A10. This represents 21 days of use out of 24 days total for an Avg. Usage of 6.3 hrs.

If I add 21 days of useage and correct this for the "drying not blowing" cool down period (21 x 0.5 hrs) this would add only 10.5 hours (or 15.8 hrs if it is 45 min) to my used hr time. Even then my total useage time would equal 131 + 13 (avg drying time) = 144. So still, including drying time, my useage time is way lees than the macine Run time by about 13 hours and the "warm up time" has always been set to off. Do you know if Resmed is supposed to send a "New" machine out that has 13 hours of Run time on it, because I thought that it would have only 0 to 1.0 hour of testing at maximum?
What about those three days not included in your total? Did you try the machine and then reset it, like to change the time, or to start fresh? If so, any hours used would included in the Run time but not Used time.
I've never timed it, but I think the cool down time is closer to an hour (maybe even more) than 1/2 hour. 21 days at 1 hour would be pretty close (131+21=152) to your overall total of 157 and cool down time would be added after each session, not just each day, so it might very well account for your perceived discrepancy. Why don't you time it after your next nightly use and see how long it runs?

tbear

Post by tbear » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:05 am

guest two wrote:
tbear wrote:Hi Pugsy thanks for the quick reply.

Yes the 131 hours used is all mine since I received the A10. This represents 21 days of use out of 24 days total for an Avg. Usage of 6.3 hrs.

If I add 21 days of useage and correct this for the "drying not blowing" cool down period (21 x 0.5 hrs) this would add only 10.5 hours (or 15.8 hrs if it is 45 min) to my used hr time. Even then my total useage time would equal 131 + 13 (avg drying time) = 144. So still, including drying time, my useage time is way lees than the macine Run time by about 13 hours and the "warm up time" has always been set to off. Do you know if Resmed is supposed to send a "New" machine out that has 13 hours of Run time on it, because I thought that it would have only 0 to 1.0 hour of testing at maximum?
What about those three days not included in your total? Did you try the machine and then reset it, like to change the time, or to start fresh? If so, any hours used would included in the Run time but not Used time.
I've never timed it, but I think the cool down time is closer to an hour (maybe even more) than 1/2 hour. 21 days at 1 hour would be pretty close (131+21=152) to your overall total of 157 and cool down time would be added after each session, not just each day, so it might very well account for your perceived discrepancy. Why don't you time it after your next nightly use and see how long it runs?
The three day missing (21/24 days) represents the three days between the day I got the New A10 delivered and when I first used the machine. I did not use it for three days because I was still using my S9 VPAP to recheck all my settings first, so the A10 wasn't even plugged in during those missing 3 days. The DME tech told me the only thing he did was set my IPAP and EPAP settings on the day of delivery to us and said that no other testing was performed. I guess the BIPAP readings started on the day he set it up, so it shows a consistent gap of 3 days with each reading. I did notice an Erase Data in one of the menus but I did not want to touch that because it could only affect my days use numbers (on the SD card) so I did not reset anything because I wanted to document my true useage. I also noticed that the DME could have "Erased" or reset the useage hours off the SD card before delivering the machine to me. But I cannot say for sure because I never checked the Used time with the Run time when I first got my machine (my bad) but just trusted the DME that the unit had 0 run hours on it coming direct from ResMed.

I do have considerable knowledge about my S9 for ~5 years and do not think the ResMed machine has to cool down for for only 5-8 degrees for 30 minutes, I believe it is more like 15 minutes at most. But certianly, I would like to hear from any expert if it is more than ~15-30 min so thanks for . As you can see in my post above, I have decided to not continue to use the A10 as we filed a dispute using my credit card company against the DME so I am not using this A10 until we get this problem resolved.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:53 am

If you use the preheat before using the machine, that adds to the run time. The blower runs at low speed during the preheat. If you run mask fit for only 10 or 15 seconds, the machine will run the 30 - 45 minute cool down cycle. All of these things add to the run time. When placing the water tank into my machine, I accidentally hit the start button, and immediately shut it back off. The machine ran through the cool down cycle even though it had only been on for a few seconds. From what I have seen with our machines, any time the blower receives power, it will go through a cool down cycle. If your DME turned the machine on to verify it worked, it would run a cool down cycle. Run time adds up very fast with these machines.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:00 am

If you really want to pursue this, I would go ahead and file in small claims court. Once the filing is reported to the DME they will most likely give you a new one with 0 hours because that's cheaper than defending themselves in court. However, woe be to you if you ever need any kind of favorable service after getting the new device.
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very