Rudeness

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jsielke

Rudeness

Post by jsielke » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:21 am

I had some time this morning, and was reading through some posts on this, and on the Apnea Board. I noticed there are a lot of rather rude responses to some questions on the list. Granted, some of the questions seem obvious, but probably are not to the person asking. I see terse, sometimes even sarcastic answers given by some of the "experts."
I will probably be banned for posting this, but after noting this, I had to say something.

prodigyplace

Re: Rudeness

Post by prodigyplace » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:50 am

Unfortunately I don't think this forum bans users except for SPAM. The rudeness and character assaults add unnecessary noise making it difficult to extract the buried useful information.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

49er

Post by 49er » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:01 am

jsielke wrote:I had some time this morning, and was reading through some posts on this, and on the Apnea Board. I noticed there are a lot of rather rude responses to some questions on the list. Granted, some of the questions seem obvious, but probably are not to the person asking. I see terse, sometimes even sarcastic answers given by some of the "experts."
I will probably be banned for posting this, but after noting this, I had to say something.
No, you won't be banned as this is an unmoderated forum. But you will be flamed big time and ironically accused of trolling to distract from the real issues. You will also be accused of being an arrogant newbie because you want to tell "experienced" members how to run things.

Anyway, I agree with you but unfortunately, things aren't going to change. So you have to decide whether the positives of this forum (and there are many) outweigh the negatives or if you need to spend your time on other apnea boards that are moderated don't tolerate rudeness.

Interestingly, one of the rude experts is as nice as he can be on one of those moderated boards. Take that for what it is worth.

49er

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:17 am

Personalities clash, and ignorant knowitalls are rarely tolerated.
That said, there is much thought and compassion here.
My breast cancer thread is a lovely example ("Defective Frog")--thank you, all!

49er

Post by 49er » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:58 am

chunkyfrog wrote:Personalities clash, and ignorant knowitalls are rarely tolerated.
That said, there is much thought and compassion here.
My breast cancer thread is a lovely example ("Defective Frog")--thank you, all!
And CF, I wanted to thank you publicly for the very supportive PM you sent me regarding my cancer diagnosis.

49er

jsielke

Post by jsielke » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:09 am

Thanks for the replies, and my prayers to my fellow cancer survivors (Bladder, prostate and 4 melanomas, all clear now).

49er

Post by 49er » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:16 am

jsielke wrote:Thanks for the replies, and my prayers to my fellow cancer survivors (Bladder, prostate and 4 melanomas, all clear now).
Wow, that is fantastic to hear.

49er

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:52 am

jsielke wrote: I see terse, sometimes even sarcastic answers given by some of the "experts."
Yes, unfortunately there are several who think sarcastic "advice" is helpful. However, there are many who are extremely knowledgeable and respectful at the same time. You have to pick and choose. Take what works for you and leave the rest. You'll find out quickly who you want to 'speak' with and who to ignore. Note my signature... and have a pleasant Sunday.
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:56 am

49er wrote:...regarding my cancer diagnosis. 49er
You'll get through this... I know you will and a big hug!
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

49er

Post by 49er » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:02 am

Lucyhere wrote:
49er wrote:...regarding my cancer diagnosis. 49er
You'll get through this... I know you will and a big hug!
Thanks and your support has been greatly appreciated.

49er

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:32 am

My thoughts & prayers go to all the cancer patients & survivors. I have survived prostate cancer and have known others who were not quite so fortunate.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:53 pm

jsielke wrote:I had some time this morning, and was reading through some posts on this, and on the Apnea Board. I noticed there are a lot of rather rude responses to some questions on the list. Granted, some of the questions seem obvious, but probably are not to the person asking. I see terse, sometimes even sarcastic answers given by some of the "experts."
if you don't like it here, then stick to apneaboard, that's what it's there for.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ColinP

Post by ColinP » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:32 pm

Indeed, there are some here who enjoy belittling others, perhaps it makes them feel better about themselves.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:52 pm

I was curious and did a forum search on the word. In the "old days", it often applied to DMEs and their employees.
More recently, it has more often applied to some of the "personalities" on the forum.

search.php?keywords=rude

Try to sift through it all and take the "good" and ignore the "bad".

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

LoBattery

Post by LoBattery » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:59 pm

If you are willing to wait a little, every question you might have will be asked by someone else and there will be no need to post on the board. Keeping posts to basic facts and not offering opinions is one way to stay out of the fray. Get the help you need, don't make it part of your life.
Seeing and believing are often both wrong. FOW