Upcoming Gallbladder Surgery -Terrified of Anesthesia

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
deedees5462

Re: Upcoming Gallbladder Surgery -Terrified of Anesthesia

Post by deedees5462 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:31 pm

Hi, I'm just curious about surgery with sleep apnea. I have had 4 surgeries after being diagnosed with sleep apnea and was told in no uncertain terms that I would have to stay overnight. I am never done as an outpatient because of my sleep apnea and also have always been told to bring machine. The first time surgery was a knee thing and I got to hospital and did not bring cpap cause I thought I was going home and found out from my doctor that no I was not going home and from nursing staff could some one get my cpap machine. Am I the only one who always stays overnight? I'm in California if that helps. Also, the anesthesiologist always notes I have a small mouth and they use smaller stuff. Oh, also I always have to be intubated according to anesthesiologist because of sleep apnea. I discussed with him and was told he could not guarantee an air way with out. So anyhow in a nutshell the gallbladder surgery is not bad at all, they do look at size of mouth and your teeth and yes definitely bring cpap and on a side note make sure it is on the night table and not on the tray they put food on. My respitory therapist told me they get knocked over very easily on tray tables and also to make nurses aware of it. Good luck.

49er

Post by 49er » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:31 pm

deedees5462 wrote:Hi, I'm just curious about surgery with sleep apnea. I have had 4 surgeries after being diagnosed with sleep apnea and was told in no uncertain terms that I would have to stay overnight. I am never done as an outpatient because of my sleep apnea and also have always been told to bring machine. The first time surgery was a knee thing and I got to hospital and did not bring cpap cause I thought I was going home and found out from my doctor that no I was not going home and from nursing staff could some one get my cpap machine. Am I the only one who always stays overnight? I'm in California if that helps. Also, the anesthesiologist always notes I have a small mouth and they use smaller stuff. Oh, also I always have to be intubated according to anesthesiologist because of sleep apnea. I discussed with him and was told he could not guarantee an air way with out. So anyhow in a nutshell the gallbladder surgery is not bad at all, they do look at size of mouth and your teeth and yes definitely bring cpap and on a side note make sure it is on the night table and not on the tray they put food on. My respitory therapist told me they get knocked over very easily on tray tables and also to make nurses aware of it. Good luck.
Hi deedees,

Most ENTs I consulted felt comfortable doing my septoplasty on an outpatient basis. Being that this was my first surgery having an apnea diagnosis, I wanted someone who would hospitalize me as a precaution. Knowing what I now know, I would have been perfectly fine with outpatient surgery.

What reasons were you given for having to stay overnight?

I also wasn't aware that sleep apnea requires intubation for all surgeries but of course, I could be misinformed.

49er

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:06 pm

Before my surgery, I had little trepidation, as I had been administered general anesthesia several times in my life.
When hubby went in for his slipped disc, it was his first time under general anesthesia.
If it is your FIRST time, do let the anesthesiologist know.

bonjour

Post by bonjour » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:24 pm

This is my experience,
Keep in mind that they have access to xpap if they feel it is needed.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread ... experience

bmanley

Post by bmanley » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:13 pm

Not sure how many times I've been under but now when they do anything I stop breathing. When the pain center would just give me versed I would do okay years ago but now they can't give me enough to make me forget what was going on or I stop breathing. Last time I had surgery they threw a fit and said I had to keep a letter with my and give to them before trying to knock me out. Guess I'm now very hard to tube for some reason. My doc wants me to get scoped in both ends and I said no for now. The one down my throat scares me because I will stop breathing, now she said if that happens they can pull the tube out pretty fast. Not something I really want to think about

deedees5462

Post by deedees5462 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:16 am

To 49er

Every anesthesiologist says the same thing to me, "I can't guarantee an airway without tubing you". Also, I don't know why they tell me I have to spend the night. I've had this at two different hospitals in different counties in California. I am okay with spending the night because I have stopped breathing while having an mri on my knee and also went in to respiratory arrest while having a carotid artery test in the hospital and was almost intubated. Oh, I also have a small mouth so I don't know. I'm going to have another surgery soon and I already know I'll be overnight and inpatient from the doc.

BTW the reason they tell me to bring my machine and mask is because it is much easier for them and me with it already being set up. One time I did not have it and I was give this mask that was not like the one I normally use and I was very uncomfortable. I did get to keep the mask although that is not a consolation. It's a full face which I keep for emergencies.

I hope wife of person who started thread is feeling better about the gallbladder surgery. Let us know how she does!!

49er

Post by 49er » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:31 am

deedees5462 wrote:To 49er

Every anesthesiologist says the same thing to me, "I can't guarantee an airway without tubing you". Also, I don't know why they tell me I have to spend the night. I've had this at two different hospitals in different counties in California. I am okay with spending the night because I have stopped breathing while having an mri on my knee and also went in to respiratory arrest while having a carotid artery test in the hospital and was almost intubated. Oh, I also have a small mouth so I don't know. I'm going to have another surgery soon and I already know I'll be overnight and inpatient from the doc.

BTW the reason they tell me to bring my machine and mask is because it is much easier for them and me with it already being set up. One time I did not have it and I was give this mask that was not like the one I normally use and I was very uncomfortable. I did get to keep the mask although that is not a consolation. It's a full face which I keep for emergencies.

I hope wife of person who started thread is feeling better about the gallbladder surgery. Let us know how she does!!
Very interesting deedees5462 as one who also has a small mouth. When I talk to the anesthesiologist prior to an upcoming out patient procedure under general anesthesia, I will ask about that.

I can understand why you would want to be hospitalized over night. I would too if I had been in your situation.

I have no problem bringing my machine which I was told to do for this upcoming procedure. Better to be safe than sorry.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:27 pm

If you have torii on the lengual side of either upper or lower jaw, it is of critical importance to have a face to face consultation with the anesthesiologist. Sometimes these growths can interfere with or prevent intubation.

49er

Post by 49er » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:53 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:If you have torii on the lengual side of either upper or lower jaw, it is of critical importance to have a face to face consultation with the anesthesiologist. Sometimes these growths can interfere with or prevent intubation.
CF,

I am not sure what you are talking about but when I met with the anesthesia resident before my septoplasty two years ago, she assured me I would have zero problems being intubated and she was correct. If they hadn't told me I was going to be, I would have never known.

I will still want to meet with someone ahead of time for various reasons.

49er
Last edited by 49er on Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:05 pm

Torii are benign bony growths on the jawbone. They are not rare, but very large ones are unusual.
Your dentist would certainly mention them during an exam.
This is only one physical anomaly among several which would interfere with intubation.
Mine are on the outside of my lower jaw, at the site of dental surgery I had at 12 years old.

49er

Post by 49er » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:24 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Torii are benign bony growths on the jawbone. They are not rare, but very large ones are unusual.
Your dentist would certainly mention them during an exam.
This is only one physical anomaly among several which would interfere with intubation.
Mine are on the outside of my lower jaw, at the site of dental surgery I had at 12 years old.
Thanks CF. No, my dentist has never mentioned anything like that.

49er

Post by 49er » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:44 am

Spoke to anesthesiologist regarding my upcoming 4/3 general anesthesia procedure. He is the 2nd one who has recommended that I skip taking Versed because of my memory issues which is typically given as a preop med for anxiety. So if god forbid, anyone is in a similar situation, they might want to keep that in mind.

He also said I would not be intubated unless I had breathing difficulties. While propofol would be given, the procedure I am having does not require deep sedation.

Time to find a good guided imagery recording.

49er

grayghost4

Post by grayghost4 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:22 pm

My wifes surgery is over ... all went well ... no versed .. and no memory problems
She stayed overnight ... we may get a bill of one night .. If medicare does not cover it
If you're not part of the solution you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker!

Get the Clinicians manual here : http://apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-press ... tup-manual

49er

Post by 49er » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:42 am

grayghost4 wrote:My wifes surgery is over ... all went well ... no versed .. and no memory problems
She stayed overnight ... we may get a bill of one night .. If medicare does not cover it
Great to hear GG. Hopefully, medicare will cover it.

49er

moreorless

Post by moreorless » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:49 pm

i have to bring head gear with the full mask, I almost forgot I need to bring the gray part connected to the mask that will connect to a hose? i will bring it just in case.
full face simplus.

Additional Comments: dreamstation dreammapper i think i dunno. software. whats on the menu in dreamstation i dunno about the software hmm