Dry eyes

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Jo77

Dry eyes

Post by Jo77 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:03 am

I have chronic dry eyes. Worsening. I like nasal pillows. Using dream mask could be the problem. Anybody try tranquility sleep mask with their unit? Use unit daily for 4 years.

Jeanne Ellen

Re: Dry eyes

Post by Jeanne Ellen » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:00 am

Hi, Jo. I recently bought a Thermalon eye mask and I like it. I started having problems with blepharitis in January, after using cpap for a couple of months. I also use the Dreamwear mask, and before that I was using the P10 nasal pillow mask. I think there's a connection between this and cpap, even though I don't have any noticable leaks that would be sending air into my eyes. Anyway, it's helpful to use a heat compress, like this eye mask to release the oil in the glands around your eyes. I've been told to heat the mask in the microwave for about 20 seconds and apply it to my eyes at least once a day for 3-5 minutes and then gently massage my eyelids. Then I have to do an eyelid scrub. It's annoying, but seems to be working. The mask was pretty cheap on amazon--about $9.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:04 am

Jeanne Ellen wrote:Hi, Jo. I recently bought a Thermalon eye mask and I like it. I started having problems with blepharitis in January, after using cpap for a couple of months. I also use the Dreamwear mask, and before that I was using the P10 nasal pillow mask. I think there's a connection between this and cpap, even though I don't have any noticable leaks that would be sending air into my eyes. Anyway, it's helpful to use a heat compress, like this eye mask to release the oil in the glands around your eyes. I've been told to heat the mask in the microwave for about 20 seconds and apply it to my eyes at least once a day for 3-5 minutes and then gently massage my eyelids. Then I have to do an eyelid scrub. It's annoying, but seems to be working. The mask was pretty cheap on amazon--about $9.
+1

klv329

Post by klv329 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:37 am

The amazing nasolacrimal duct...started getting dry eyes, too. No mask leaks. I use eye drops, but get what appears to be a recurring left eye drain or infection that seems minor but is irritating.

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:15 pm

Jeanne Ellen wrote: I think there's a connection between this and cpap, even though I don't have any noticable leaks that would be sending air into my eyes. Anyway, it's helpful to use a heat compress, like this eye mask to release the oil in the glands around your eyes. I've been told to heat the mask in the microwave for about 20 seconds and apply it to my eyes at least once a day for 3-5 minutes and then gently massage my eyelids. Then I have to do an eyelid scrub. It's annoying, but seems to be working. The mask was pretty cheap on amazon--about $9.
While there may be some connection to the cpap my doc tells me it's my allergy to dust.

But you can also heat up a wet face cloth in the microwave - so those things can be used for more than taking pictures. He did also mention cleansing the lids but I find washing my face provides relief too.

Physician

Post by Physician » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:16 pm

Jo77 wrote:I have chronic dry eyes. Worsening. I like nasal pillows. Using dream mask could be the problem. Anybody try tranquility sleep mask with their unit? Use unit daily for 4 years.

Sufficient number of humans without SA and who don't use inhalation therapy have dry eyes that you could simply treat the problem. Initial therapies include:

• Systane or Ocusoft lid wipes

• Ointments such as Systane (usually reserved for bedtime because of possible blurring)

• Drops include many brands--- Retaine, Systane, Balance, Theratears, Soothe XP, etc. Often one brand works fine, then it doesn't.

• Course of tetracycline or equivalent.

Dry eyes can present as excessive tearing as the deficient oil component of tears provoke more oil-deficient tears. Tearing is a nuisance - - disrupts visual acuity.

WildMtnHoney

Post by WildMtnHoney » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:48 am

First, ditto the hot wash cloth, washing eyes morning and night, and all of the above suggestions by Physician.

In addition, have you checked in with your eye dr? It is possible to injure your eyes due to dry eye (btdt).

Also, just a thought, but very dry eyes can be a sign of something else other than "just" dry eyes - says the woman recently diagnosed with Sjogren's.

Further, there are Rx drops if everything else is failing, along with punctal plugs as options.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:09 am

Look online at the Dry Eye Store.
Stuff and IDEAS!

herefishy

Post by herefishy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:46 am

Before I start looking for an eye mask to sleep in, to block the possible air from my cpap, has anyone tried one they can recommend? I wear an Activa mask, so it does come quite close to my eyes.

Physician

Post by Physician » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:07 pm

herefishy wrote:Before I start looking for an eye mask to sleep in, to block the possible air from my cpap, has anyone tried one they can recommend? I wear an Activa mask, so it does come quite close to my eyes.

I've tried all masks/pillows, and the Mirage FX was the clear winner (for me). However, one must change the mask every two to three weeks to reduce the possibility of leaks. A new mask gives me a leak of 0, a three week old mask 4-8 L/min. It has never blown in my eyes.... yet.

Physician

Post by Physician » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:35 pm

WildMtnHoney wrote:First, ditto the hot wash cloth, washing eyes morning and night, and all of the above suggestions by Physician.

In addition, have you checked in with your eye dr? It is possible to injure your eyes due to dry eye (btdt).

Also, just a thought, but very dry eyes can be a sign of something else other than "just" dry eyes - says the woman recently diagnosed with Sjogren's.

Further, there are Rx drops if everything else is failing, along with punctal plugs as options.

Punctal plugs are not good for all dry eyes. If the tears are lacking the oil (Meibomian) component, then that kind of dry eyes yields excessing tearing and will worsen by plugs. One must be certain tear secretions are reduced before plugging up the drain.

WildMtnHoney

Post by WildMtnHoney » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:24 am

Physician wrote:
WildMtnHoney wrote:First, ditto the hot wash cloth, washing eyes morning and night, and all of the above suggestions by Physician.

Punctal plugs are not good for all dry eyes. If the tears are lacking the oil (Meibomian) component, then that kind of dry eyes yields excessing tearing and will worsen by plugs. One must be certain tear secretions are reduced before plugging up the drain.
I don't think I said they were for everyone, only that one should check with their dr, and that that was a possible option