General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
desiderata

Post by desiderata » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:12 pm

Last edited by desiderata on Sun May 07, 2017 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HoseCrusher

Re: Anyone using Respiclean?

Post by HoseCrusher » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:22 pm

Excellent product for disinfecting...

Poor at cleaning.

The general process usually involves cleaning first followed by disinfection (if needed).

Also, an excellent product for removing odors.

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:05 pm

"Stabilized Oxychloro Complex" is FDA-speak for a preservative that's commonly used in eyedrops, trade named Purite. It's commonly used to preserve ophthalmic drug preparations and over-the-counter eyedrops. It's very effective against bacteria, but less so against fungi. It's very well tolerated by the eyes, if that gives you any indication how benign it is to human tissues.

But it's a preservative, or in high concentration, a disinfectant, not a cleaner. Since it's being used to clean equipment, you can substitute another oxychloro complex, tradenamed, oddly enough, "Clorox."

For cleaning CPAP components, I'd prefer to use dishwashing detergent in warm water followed by a thorough rinse and air-drying. It would be more effective. But what do I know? I've been using the same machine and hose for almost 7 years and have never cleaned it. And I never get sick. I wash out my nasal pillows occasionally, maybe a few times/year, but I've never cleaned the hose.

The claims about "germs" lurking in CPAP machine hoses, water baths and masks are way over-hyped, targeted to the public on late-night TV ads and AM radio spots. Unless you are a very sick individual, you shouldn't need to worry about it.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:38 am

Slartybartfast wrote:The claims about "germs" lurking in CPAP machine hoses, water baths and masks are way over-hyped, targeted to the public on late-night TV ads and AM radio spots. Unless you are a very sick individual, you shouldn't need to worry about it.
wise words.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.