Cpap and beards

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Hawthorne

Re: Cpap and beards

Post by Hawthorne » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:33 am

Yes. OP listed a full face mask in his profile---

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:33 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
grayghost4 wrote:the OP did NOT ask for the best FF mask ....
Part of giving good answers is to understand that patients are often asking the wrong question.
spoken like a true DME, just shove what you want onto the patient.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:03 am

palerider wrote: palerider
wrote:Part of giving good answers is to understand that patients are often asking the wrong question.
You know that as well as I do. I have seen too many of your answers to think otherwise.

palerider wrote: just shove what you want onto the patient.
Dreaming up stuff this morning? Check the thread - I have not recommended anything to the OP.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:51 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:Part of giving good answers is to understand that patients are often asking the wrong question. ...
You know that as well as I do. I have seen too many of your answers to think otherwise.
the difference is that I try to find out what they actually are trying to say, but don't have the words, instead of just assuming what they mean.
ChicagoGranny wrote:
palerider wrote: just shove what you want onto the patient.
Dreaming up stuff this morning? Check the thread - I have not recommended anything to the OP.
no, you've just derided other people, because they didn't make the same ASSumptions you did.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

BrooklynCPAPer

Post by BrooklynCPAPer » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:51 am

I haven't been on here in a long time but I'm a full bearded fellow too and use the Airfit P10 Mask and a chin strap to keep my mouth closed. Has worked perfectly for me for over a year with no leaks or other issues.

Looks ridiculous but I sleep soundly. I tried full face and nasal masks but the pillows is what worked out best ultimately.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:41 pm

Due to horrible congestion, last night I started out with my F20.
After hubby brought me the "good" nasal spray and some green gel caps,
my nose cleared up enough to switch out to my P10.
AWESOME!
He's not my beard, but his is white, and he is so helpful.
I (((heart))) him.

Yayoe10

Post by Yayoe10 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:31 pm

Sheriff Buford wrote:Yay: do you mouth breath?

Sheriff
Yes I di

Yayoe10

Post by Yayoe10 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:32 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Yayoe10 wrote:is there a certain mask which is "best" for someone with a beard ? Or would they all
Be roughly about the same.
Your profile shows you use a full face mask (FFM). Is it the case that you sometimes mouth breathe and must continue to use a FFM?
Yea I'm a mouth breather and use full face mask sorry should've been more specific

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:39 pm

Forum member Bonjour has a big Santa Claus beard.
See his avatar
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=40953
He uses the Respironics Amara View full face mask.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

jdftrwrth

Post by jdftrwrth » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:20 am

Hi y'all,

I am new to this forum and I came here because I am having one heck of a time with a leaky mask.

After 12 years i was finally able to replace my old cpap machine and I am guessing that the old one was not putting out the correct pressure because the new one is about to blow me out of the room. I have had it checked and the new one is putting out the correct pressure but I have to let it ramp up for 30 minutes so I can get to sleep.

The new machine is a resmed airsense 10 elite and its crabbing every night about mask leaks and my wife is also crabbing about all of the noise that the mask is making, she wakes me up to let me to adjust it, or the leaking sounds wake me up.

I can get the mask to quit leaking by tightening the straps down real tight but then the mask is digging into the bridge of my nose. The mask i am using is Phillips resperonic comfort gel, been using one of these since i started using my cpap in 1997.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

JD

hewl35

Post by hewl35 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:19 am

One of the things that work for myself and some bearded friends is simply to shave the area under your lower lip. It seems to work for any full face mask.The area only has to be as wide as the shaver head. I think what happens is the mask simply slips down on the hair but shaving a small area gives the mask a place to dig in and hold.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:51 pm

jdftrwrth wrote:I can get the mask to quit leaking by tightening the straps down real tight
And you know that is not the way the masks are designed to be used. Here are some tips:
To reduce unintentional mask leak -

- Make sure the mask is fitted properly. (See mask manufacturer's video.)

- Make sure the headgear is adjusted properly (See mask manufacturer's video.)

- If you use a low ramp pressure or a low minimum pressure, you should fit and adjust your mask at the higher pressures it is operating at for most of the night. You would temporarily change the machine pressure settings while you do the fitting and adjusting. It's best to do this well before bedtime before you are tired and ready for sleep. Don't forget to change your settings back to the ones you prefer.

- Make sure to use good hose management - the hose should not pull on the mask. Notice how your hose is positioned between machine and mask. It should be positioned to minimize any pull on the mask. Hose management is an individual practice. How it is done depends on the mask, the position of the machine, your sleeping position and other factors specific to the individual.

- If you still have problems, learn from the forum what mask liners are available.

- If your mask still has excessive leak, try other masks. Many people report trying several masks before they find one that works well for them.

Note: Links to just some of the mask manufacturers' instructional videos can be found on the forum host's website - https://www.cpap.com/cpap-masks.php and https://www.youtube.com/

- CG
jdftrwrth wrote: I have had it checked and the new one is putting out the correct pressure
What is the pressure setting?

Here are some videos that might help - https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... omfort+gel

jdftrwrth

Post by jdftrwrth » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:11 am

12 psi

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:23 am

jdftrwrth wrote:12 psi
That's not too high of a pressure. I always considered 14 to be starting into the "high" range.
jdftrwrth wrote:The mask i am using is Phillips resperonic comfort gel, been using one of these since i started using my cpap in 1997.
If I understand you correctly, that mask has been a success for you for 20 years. It's very puzzling why a change in machines coincides with a big mask-leak problem. Did you perhaps place the new machine in a different position? Does the hose run differently from the machine to the mask?

Have you selected Full Face Mask instead of Nasal in the new machine's menu?

I have an older machine, and it has a setting for Slimline hose and Normal hose. If the wrong hose is selected, the machine will perform differently. From looking at the AirSense user manual, I don't see this option. Maybe ResMed did away with it on this machine?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:19 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:I have an older machine, and it has a setting for Slimline hose and Normal hose. If the wrong hose is selected, the machine will perform differently. From looking at the AirSense user manual, I don't see this option. Maybe ResMed did away with it on this machine?
No...those options are still there. Just not showing in the manual.
When/if the ClimateLine Air heated hose is used the machine will automatically make the correct hose selection for you...can't mess it up.
Now if a non heated hose is use the 2 choices are available...slimline and regular 22 mm hose.
I just got an AirCurve a couple of weeks ago and didn't have the heated hose for a few days and I saw both non heated hose settings available. Once I got the heated hose attached the machine recognized it and made the appropriate selection for me.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.