How would this be an improvement?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
49er

How would this be an improvement?

Post by 49er » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:37 am

Can someone explain how this contraption would be an improvement regarding pap therapy? I am not seeing the advantage but perhaps I am missing something.

http://tpr.org/post/san-antonio-enginee ... a#stream/0

Pugsy

Re: How would this be an improvement?

Post by Pugsy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:54 am

I can't see any advantages but I do see a bunch of potential disadvantages.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Hannibal 2

Post by Hannibal 2 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:19 am

This looks more bulky, not less! But maybe the photo is a prototype? Hmm not convinced atm

Where have you been? It's alright we know where you've been!"
(You've been in the pipeline...)

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:56 am

looks like a smaller model of that thing from spain that was being promoted a while back... cpap on the face.

like I need more weight dragging the mask off center.

alternative snarky comment: gonna be a bitch hanging that thing off my p10!

what's so horrible about a hose?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

kteague

Post by kteague » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:35 am

Irks me how those trying to sell an alternative describe CPAP like it's some barberic torture device. Hey writer, a machine on the face is closer to a bed partner than a machine on the night stand on the other side of the bed. Plus it's mere inches from each ear, and one would feel any mechanical vibrations. Or maybe that will be described as lulling one to sleep? And the remark about CPAP, "I actually stopped using it because it was more of a nuisance than it worked," Barrios said. "I just took it off." This is not the problem solving mindset I'd expect to be working on the next greatest invention. Fact is, this is not yet available but he didn't bother to figure out how to make existing available treatment work. If he was unable to tolerate a lightweight hosed mask, he's gonna have a real problem with this on his face.

I can see something like this serving a purpose when electricity is not available. (It's battery operated?) But I'm guessing there will be limited mask options, not to mention how off-putting it would be to have that much bulk on my face. I think it's safe to assume that as technology advances smaller yet effective options will become available, but for now, I'd still prefer my featherweight hose.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:40 am

palerider wrote:looks like a smaller model of that thing from spain that was being promoted a while back... cpap on the face.

like I need more weight dragging the mask off center.

alternative snarky comment: gonna be a bitch hanging that thing off my p10!

what's so horrible about a hose?
+1,000,000

Half a pound of vibrating, noisy fan right on my face? I don't think so.
April Fools is still a ways off, people.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:54 am

kteague wrote::roll: Irks me how those trying to sell an alternative describe CPAP like it's some barberic torture device. Hey writer, a machine on the face is closer to a bed partner than a machine on the night stand on the other side of the bed. Plus it's mere inches from each ear, and one would feel any mechanical vibrations. Or maybe that will be described as lulling one to sleep? And the remark about CPAP, "I actually stopped using it because it was more of a nuisance than it worked," Barrios said. "I just took it off." This is not the problem solving mindset I'd expect to be working on the next greatest invention. Fact is, this is not yet available but he didn't bother to figure out how to make existing available treatment work. If he was unable to tolerate a lightweight hosed mask, he's gonna have a real problem with this on his face.

I can see something like this serving a purpose when electricity is not available. (It's battery operated?) But I'm guessing there will be limited mask options, not to mention how off-putting it would be to have that much bulk on my face. I think it's safe to assume that as technology advances smaller yet effective options will become available, but for now, I'd still prefer my featherweight hose.
amen!

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Woody

Post by Woody » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:56 am

Being a side sleeper I have a hard enough time with mask leaks that thing
looks like it would just make that problem worse.

Additional Comments: SleapyHead software

Hannibal 2

Post by Hannibal 2 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:30 am

kteague wrote: I can see something like this serving a purpose when electricity is not available. (It's battery operated?) But I'm guessing there will be limited mask options, not to mention how off-putting it would be to have that much bulk on my face. I think it's safe to assume that as technology advances smaller yet effective options will become available, but for now, I'd still prefer my featherweight hose.
Can't even see that! I think I'd rather power my existing set up with a battery rather than have all this bulk hanging off my face!

Where have you been? It's alright we know where you've been!"
(You've been in the pipeline...)

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:33 am

y'all should post your opinions on the discus link at the bottom of the article... let others see how stupid this idea is.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:57 am

I hear Trump is reopening Gitmo. Wonder how many they will order . . .

crestifer

Post by crestifer » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:20 am

they should consider a darth vader like helmet for this device.

that may be the only way to convince me to use it.

my amara view is about as unobstructive as i can imagine a cpap mask being.

but, a darth vader helmet would be fairly rad.

49er

Post by 49er » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:42 am

Thank you for your comments which are excellent. It doesn't seem like these folks did any type of survey of people struggling with pap therapy to understand what the issues were. They just seemed to assume that this horrific contraption on the face was the answer.

Frustrating!

Arlene1963

Post by Arlene1963 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:42 am

kteague wrote::roll: Irks me how those trying to sell an alternative describe CPAP like it's some barberic torture device. Hey writer, a machine on the face is closer to a bed partner than a machine on the night stand on the other side of the bed. Plus it's mere inches from each ear, and one would feel any mechanical vibrations. Or maybe that will be described as lulling one to sleep? And the remark about CPAP, "I actually stopped using it because it was more of a nuisance than it worked," Barrios said. "I just took it off." This is not the problem solving mindset I'd expect to be working on the next greatest invention. Fact is, this is not yet available but he didn't bother to figure out how to make existing available treatment work. If he was unable to tolerate a lightweight hosed mask, he's gonna have a real problem with this on his face.

Well said! It also irks me no end when CPAP is described in this way, it reinforces utterly antiquated views of the treatment and helps to perpetuate the unfortunate cycle of people not being prepared to even try CPAP. So many of my friends look at me with horror when I tell them I use CPAP because of this sort of nonsense info.

Rest assured my husband doesn't hear a thing when I use my CPAP, and he has excellent hearing. He is only too pleased to have a wife who is treated and no longer wakes him up due to getting up 3 or 4 times a night to go to the loo.

I get so annoyed with all of the misinformation about CPAP, it is truly a disservice to folks newly diagnosed with OSA. Gosh I am furious! I'm actually surprised at just how
mad I get over this subject!

EDIT TO ADD: I just showed this ridiculous "miniaturized device" to my husband, and he actually burst out laughing ....

crestifer

Post by crestifer » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:48 am

CPAP: it ain't no iron lung.